Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Endorph posted:

if you're treating the og anime like a normal inclusion, when have they ever cut that much from something's debut game?

I'd technically bring up MKR but it does kind of have the complication where 90% of the show takes place before the robot appears and all, so it feels kind of like cheating to bring up MKR.
Knight's & Magic might be a better example, while I haven't actually seen the show the discussion in-thread has given me the distinct impression that a *lot* was left out. Hathaway's Flash got its debut as units only, for a particular extreme. I think Cowboy Bebop had a fair bit cut too, but that's again kind of an MKR situation where the show just wasn't that well suited to the format.

Point is, it'd be unusual but not exactly unprecedented, and they tend to like to keep individual show casts somewhat restrained these days (I was actually pretty surprised at the number of second-string characters we got from Victory in 30). I suppose I could see a universe where, in that theoretical game, we get only Alteisen as an actual playable unit, with him just having Rampage Ghost which Excellen shows up for but isn't otherwise playable. Or something.

There's frankly a lot of OG1 cast condensation you could do of that nature, potentially up to and including having only R-1 be individually playable and Rai/Aya only appearing as attacks on R-1 and/or as part of SRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Prism posted:

Me again with Complete Box.

I got it the patch working to all appearances (yay) but I can't get the game to see my controller. Did I forget to set up something when I reinstalled Complete Box?

Edit: Never mind, worked after I unplugged and replugged the controller a couple times

ok, you guys need to be more specific, because for a split second i thought somebody made a Fan Translation of SRW Complete Box for the PSX and i lost my poo poo :smith:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Reiska posted:

Absolutely, in mainline canon OG stuff that's what they're there for and they're great at it.

But if you're working OG1's plot into an otherwise normal crossover SRW game I feel like you'd just use Stardust Memory or 08th MS Team for the same purpose.

OG1's plot was originally a combination of original plots from normal crossover SRW game in the first place, with the crossover series ripped out and replaced with a mashup of existing OGs and some entirely new OG plot/characters to fill the gaps.

If you're looking at replacing parts of the OG cast with crossover series, then you're not adapting Divine Wars, you're just redoing Alpha's original cast again.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Time to get meta.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

if you're treating the og anime like a normal inclusion, when have they ever cut that much from something's debut game?

IIRC didn't Shin SRW only have Heero and Zechs for when Gundam Wing debuted and Heero was a secret? Granted Wing was still airing when Shin SRW was released, but they still could have included the other Wing boys

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Willo567 posted:

IIRC didn't Shin SRW only have Heero and Zechs for when Gundam Wing debuted and Heero was a secret? Granted Wing was still airing when Shin SRW was released, but they still could have included the other Wing boys

Wing's initial inclusions in SRW were hella weird.

In F Final, the first appearance of the Wing boys in their entirety, they appeared initially as neutral units and you had to go through a somewhat convoluted convince chain to even get access to them before the end of the game. You had to start it by convincing Quatre with Amuro or Kamille, then Quatre had to convince Duo and Trowa, then Duo and Trowa had to convince Heero. Wufei hates you because he's Wufei and only permanently joins on one of the two ending routes one stage before the end of the game. In addition, their Endless Waltz units were secret upgrades that you could miss and the Wing Zero Custom was route exclusive(to the route where you don't get Wufei).

The WZC was extremely broken, though, easily punching alongside units like the Gunbuster and the Mazinkaiser.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wing zero and no wufei? it's unusual for there to be one route that is objectively better than the other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wing zero and no wufei? it's unusual for there to be one route that is objectively better than the other.

Unfortunately, the route with Wufei is the one where you get Haman and IIRC Master Asia, so in conclusion F Final is a land of contrasts.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kanos posted:

Unfortunately, the route with Wufei is the one where you get Haman and IIRC Master Asia, so in conclusion F Final is a land of contrasts.

Original timeline SRW is full of crazy poo poo. For example, units you get early on will almost always pale in comparison to later units, even if they're the main robot of their series. Like, Combattler V is pretty much always nearly worthless because by the end of the game, the only way for them to be viable is by burning SP so quickly that they can only really be used for about three turns before they're stuck at 0% chance to hit (yes, even with five pilots' worth of spirits), and Great Mazinger is even worse off due to not having a real finisher (prior to the Alpha games, Great Mazinger capped off at Breast Burn). Also, the original timeline games stick closely to canon when it comes to mobile suit performance, so the Zeta and ZZ Gundams end up nearly useless towards the end of the game, where only CCA and F91 suits are still viable (okay, you can kinda squeeze some utility out of the High Mega Cannon in the endgame by using Strike and Valor, but the ZZ gets shot down the moment a boss so much as looks at it funny).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

Original timeline SRW is full of crazy poo poo. For example, units you get early on will almost always pale in comparison to later units, even if they're the main robot of their series. Like, Combattler V is pretty much always nearly worthless because by the end of the game, the only way for them to be viable is by burning SP so quickly that they can only really be used for about three turns before they're stuck at 0% chance to hit (yes, even with five pilots' worth of spirits), and Great Mazinger is even worse off due to not having a real finisher (prior to the Alpha games, Great Mazinger capped off at Breast Burn). Also, the original timeline games stick closely to canon when it comes to mobile suit performance, so the Zeta and ZZ Gundams end up nearly useless towards the end of the game, where only CCA and F91 suits are still viable (okay, you can kinda squeeze some utility out of the High Mega Cannon in the endgame by using Strike and Valor, but the ZZ gets shot down the moment a boss so much as looks at it funny).

This is pretty universally true, though there's some weird exceptions. Dancougar is basically a giant brick shithouse death engine for the entirety of F, works fine for the first few stages of F Final, then completely falls off a cliff because you're capped at 5 upgrades still and it can't hit anything without strike(this is back when your mobility stat was tied to your accuracy) or take hits any more. It languishes in the dumpster until you unlock 5 more upgrade slots near the end of the game, then suddenly becomes great again if you want to invest in it.

It's really funny to have Amuro and Kamille fighting over the Vigna Gihna because it craps on the Zeta and you don't have the Nu yet, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kanos posted:

This is pretty universally true, though there's some weird exceptions. Dancougar is basically a giant brick shithouse death engine for the entirety of F, works fine for the first few stages of F Final, then completely falls off a cliff because you're capped at 5 upgrades still and it can't hit anything without strike(this is back when your mobility stat was tied to your accuracy) or take hits any more. It languishes in the dumpster until you unlock 5 more upgrade slots near the end of the game, then suddenly becomes great again if you want to invest in it.

It's really funny to have Amuro and Kamille fighting over the Vigna Gihna because it craps on the Zeta and you don't have the Nu yet, though.

Part of that comes from Dancouga actually not being available for much of F, instead forcing you to use the individual Beast Machines for the first half. That said, it's pretty much the only pure super to first join the party in F to stay fairly solid all the way to the end of F Final. Part of that is probably intentional, since Shapiro is one of the possible final bosses, but a lot probably has to do with Dancouga's pilots having a better spirit pool (it's been a while since I last played F/FF, but I believe that they've always had Valor on everybody, plus multiple pilots with Strike, which gives them a huge advantage over other multi-pilot units). Combattler and Goshogun are completely outclassed, with Combattler barely clinging to viability through the sheer weight of having five pilots and the raw power of the Choudenji Spin (even late into F Final, an upgraded, valored CS could take off a solid chunk of a boss' HP, IIRC, whereas the Go-Flasher Special didn't really stack up in terms of base damage numbers).

As for the mobile suits, the real issue that kills off the Zeta and ZZ is the Limit stat, which was retired after Alpha Gaiden (and even there, it had been loosened up enough that it was only relevant if you never bothered upgrading it). For those following along who don't know, Limit was a stat mechs had that represented the maximum combined Piloting+Mobility a unit would actually be able to benefit from. Anything beyond that total would be ignored when calculating hit/evasion. This was meant to represent situations like how Amuro's piloting skill became so great that the Gundam was actually holding him back. Essentially, the only way for your newtypes to get the full benefit of their insane piloting stats (and the attendant bonuses to evasion) was to put them in whatever mobile suits had enough Limit to contain them. As I recall, by the end of the game, even the Nu Gundam's Limit could be reached if you didn't slap some parts on it to bump it higher, just because Amuro's piloting is that high. With the Zeta and ZZ, you eventually hit a point where not even additional parts will help them keep up.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1599024927063314432

Hamster is porting the Mazinger Z arcade shmup next year

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Ichiro Mizuki has passed away

this has been the WORST year for Celeb deaths man:smith:

https://twitter.com/TakanobuTerada/status/1602179341148131328?t=0W2eJ2h33kz0eBb5CPhIEA&s=19

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

drat, that sucks

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/JoeyYamitaro/status/1604621248625000454?t=FudCvfitgN9HFWUTR7CP9g&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SRW30 Expansion Pack is on sale on Steam.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

So, after a long break from SRW after the death march that was 30, I fired 30 back up, not to start a new playthrough (maybe in another few years), but to just unlock all the interrupt messages. I did have to dip my toe into a new playthrough to get a couple, though. So, for those curious:

-There appear to be exactly 179 interrupt messages.

-You will not be shown repeat messages until you've seen every message you already qualify for at any given time (though a few messages are extremely similar, with only minor variations, such as Ernie's previews and the Rayearth gang's skits with Mokona, all of which only change the last line).

-Messages that are part of a series are not guaranteed to show up in the correct order (for example, there are two "The Shrike Team is doing great and we'll definitely never die!" messages, one where the initial six Shrikes state how safe and alive they all are, and then a second one where they, as well as Juca's squad, give a status update that they're still extremely alive and definitely won't be gratuitously killed off because the showrunner is still working out some issues from near the end of Zeta Gundam, but I happened to get them in reverse order).

-Edge and Az each have an interrupt message exclusive to them, so you'll need to at least start a run with the other one after your first playthrough, if you want both.

-Certain messages are only available early in the game (such as Zagato's interrupt message, which I got in the new game plus file, right after Az' message; I only started the NG+ after I started getting repeats in my first playthrough's file).

-Yes, there is a special interrupt message that only plays once you've already seen the other 178. If you don't feel like unlocking it yourself, it's the Code Geass crew, of all people, discussing SRW's 30th anniversary. It's interesting that they had just one show's cast doing the celebration, but that probably has to do with how the VA sessions were scheduled.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm only posting here cuz I'm curious where this franchise is headed and why so it's been so drat quiet.

I wouldn't mind if 30 was some sort of weird Swan Song for the franchise. Not saying I want it too, of course.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 26, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

I'm only posting here cuz I'm curious where this franchise is headed and why so it's been so drat quiet.

I wouldn't mind if 30 was some sort of weird Swan Song for the franchise. Not saying I want it too, of course.

They've confirmed that the next SRW game will be OG 3rd, but production started after 30 released so we're probably a long ways off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Especially when you consider how elaborate OG spritework is and how OG3 is probably gonna be the last OG game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

They've confirmed that the next SRW game will be OG 3rd, but production started after 30 released so we're probably a long ways off.

AFAIK this was never confirmed, just that Terada said he wanted to do it(and he's not in charge anymore).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I fell off OG after OG2/OGs due to the lack of English releases (and then never came back when those restarted since I was missing a few titles there) so I can't say I'm too interested about OG3 (what a hilariously stupid name to use when this is the...what, fifth? Sixth? And that's not even counting the Masoukishin or Endless Frontier games). I'd rather get a normal SRW, be it in an existing universe or otherwise, but a grand finale for OG could be nice too if it lets the sub-franchise restart afterwards, OG1 is still a very unique SRW with how low the overall power level is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Up next, OG Z.

Anyway, I am glad they’re taking some time for the next game because it means I can catch up on some of the recent translations I hadn’t gotten around to. SRW W is real good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Honestly, I'd prefer the next game take longer and generally have more put into it. The last handful of games, I think, left a bit to be desired in terms of attack animations for non-main character units (often paring down their attacks to just one or two moves, which is especially noticeable for units that have appeared in previous games), and there have been a lot fewer dynamic kills lately, as well. Hopefully the global release of 30 was successful enough that they can afford to go all-out again, like they did for Z.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd like a game with some discernable difficulty without grossly inflating all enemy stats. i've been replaying og2 lately and that game is really fuckin' mean sometimes. it's great!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No MC's Only Grunts and Side Characters. This is the path forward

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And since there are no more non-HD systems anymore, it's just gonna get longer and more expensive to make the games, so there may be less incentive to do an OG game with Terada gone.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I can't imagine there are a lot of people out there that do high resolution sprite animation like SRW attack animations, so it's not really something that can be solved by just throwing more money at it. Things are just going to have to take longer. Especially if they are going to be making all new animations for most of the cast rather than reusing stuff from OGs2nd and MD.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Could be interesting if they go 3D again, been a while since they last did a 3D SRW game

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I miss the handheld games. They helped break things up between the bigger console releases and usually we’re allowed to be a little bit more out there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I miss the handheld games. They helped break things up between the bigger console releases and usually we’re allowed to be a little bit more out there.

Yeah, that's more what I was getting at. There'll probably be less interest in spending 3 years to make an OG game if it means your next better-selling mainline game would have to come out in another 3 years, though I suppose the production pipeline could get streamlined a bit as series get integrated into HD assets to reuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Could be interesting if they go 3D again, been a while since they last did a 3D SRW game
If you look at something like Honkai Star Rail or Guilty Gear Strive it'd clearly be possible to do a 3d SRW that actually looks really good these days, but at the same time it'd mean getting rid of all the sprite animators they have.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, a 3D SRW would be neat and depending on how the workflow is compared to sprites, that might make a good replacement for handheld games in terms of filling the gaps, but also the really gorgeous sprite animations are kind of baked into the series' identity so I'd hate to see them go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I miss handhelds in general. Switch bridges the gap a bit but it’s not the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

switch is basically just a weaker console, it doesnt really fill the space the 3ds/psp/ds or whatever did at all where its entirely its own, lower cost ecosystem.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Phone games are the new handheld in a lot of ways, but the ecosystem is so different that you can't just make & sell a full-price game.
DD had promise, but still just wasn't quite there imo (and no en release).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, a 3D SRW would be neat and depending on how the workflow is compared to sprites, that might make a good replacement for handheld games in terms of filling the gaps, but also the really gorgeous sprite animations are kind of baked into the series' identity so I'd hate to see them go.

I mean they've already been using questionable looking 3d models in place of sprites in 30 (Hi-Nu, KoRyuOh, the OG villain grunt mechs etc.).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

drrockso20 posted:

Phone up Arcsys so they can teach them that unreal engine sorcery

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo they should do a 3d srw and use nothing but anime with CG mechs but then i guess the only gundam series would be origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I mean they've already been using questionable looking 3d models in place of sprites in 30 (Hi-Nu, KoRyuOh, the OG villain grunt mechs etc.).

Hi-Nu was close enough to get away with it. KoRyuOh and the OGs... they are jarringly off model.