Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like at the very least, if they don't want to have stuff available at the start of the game or whatever, they should at least have it so that if you get a secret or whatever, then you have that secret forever on all future playthroughs without having to get points or do specific route stuff or whatever.

Having to make sure I do the right battles to unlock stuff every single time is super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like at the very least, if they don't want to have stuff available at the start of the game or whatever, they should at least have it so that if you get a secret or whatever, then you have that secret forever on all future playthroughs without having to get points or do specific route stuff or whatever.
isnt

isnt that how most SRW games work already? SRWUX is literally built around this premise

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I did a replay of V on my old NG++++whatever file with that assumption recently but when I was scheduled to get stuff like the Xi missile pod and Penelope it just didn't happen and I was super confused. It works that way for the true ending at least but it stiffed me on older units.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

isnt

isnt that how most SRW games work already? SRWUX is literally built around this premise

Yeah that's how it's been working in V, X and T I think; it's convenient and cool. But I'd still like to have Mazinger Zero around forever after getting it once.
EDIT: apparently just for the real ending as stated above?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

I am sad they never really went back to the Unit Shop from W. I'd kind of like the opposite where I can stick people in super lovely gimmick units.

Or the capture mechanic from GC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, I loved that stupid thing.

It also had the funniest version of recruiting Bernie.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've wanted plot divorced unlocks for NG+ for the longest time. I've bitched at lengths in various SRW threads here that my favorite mobile suit, Sazabi, is almost always a late stage final 5 missions recruit and it barely gives me any time to enjoy having Char and the Zabi around. If they just offered a feature like say the Pick 5 Items You Like NG+ feature but applied it to MS I'd really appreciate it. Maybe you could even have some fun with it, like secret 4th wall lines acknowledging that hey maybe Char shouldn't be fighting the Zeon in the opening arc or whathaveyou.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ImpAtom posted:

I am sad they never really went back to the Unit Shop from W. I'd kind of like the opposite where I can stick people in super lovely gimmick units.

The dagger with the mobius mounted on the back owns

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Revil posted:

You could even add Nadesico and Tobikage. You'll get the desperate attempt to flee, and crossover opportunities.

Also, I've been watching the SRW 64 translation, and it's nice the desperate situation in the first few episodes, but still with a lot of crossover happening.

There's a SRW64 translation in the works?! That's one of my favorite of the oldschool SRW. I want ot leanr more.

Endorph posted:

isnt

UX is the only one where it works like that, because it's part of the plot, since you can only get all the secrets through that. Some other games have some flags carry over or aren't needed on a second playthrough though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
SRW64 had a translation done for months now

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

drrockso20 posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I loved that stupid thing.

It also had the funniest version of recruiting Bernie.

It's super addicting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

amuro and char should kiss to commemorate the 30 year anniversary imho

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Tae posted:

Wait, hold up, there's a 64 translation?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tae posted:

You're confusing SRW64 with SRWGC aren't you? I can't find anything on a 64 patch. GC was the one that was released a few months ago.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Someone's been translating their 64 playthrough on Youtube.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

Great Zeorymer's unlock in J always struck me as loving insane, because in order to get the super rad upgrade for Zeorymer, one of the requirements is never deploying Zeorymer. :psyduck:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

I get the sentiment of all of this, but is Great Zeorymer's unlock requirements 'tedious hoops'? Beyond 'don't deploy it unless forced to', it's literally "Go all the routes that have Zeorymer's plot, and use Zeorymer to defeat all the Zeorymer enemies".

That's a lot less tedious than Vorlent's requirement of "Beat the game with all other protag units" in the same game.

MechaCrash posted:

Great Zeorymer's unlock in J always struck me as loving insane, because in order to get the super rad upgrade for Zeorymer, one of the requirements is never deploying Zeorymer. :psyduck:

It makes sense plot-wise in the context of the show, at least.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I guess Amazon's marketing bots are paying attention because I got an email about this: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Robot-Wars-OG-Dwellers-PlayStation/dp/B01JS4LFOI

Worth picking up?

Asking because the only active Playstation console I have is the PS4. I have a PS2 put up in a box in the storage closet in my house but I'd need an adapter of some kind to connect the video cable to my smart TV, I think (no video component plugs, just HDMI ports).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I guess Amazon's marketing bots are paying attention because I got an email about this: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Robot-Wars-OG-Dwellers-PlayStation/dp/B01JS4LFOI

Worth picking up?

Asking because the only active Playstation console I have is the PS4. I have a PS2 put up in a box in the storage closet in my house but I'd need an adapter of some kind to connect the video cable to my smart TV, I think (no video component plugs, just HDMI ports).
I think MD is only really worth it if you've been a fan of the older SRW games for a long time so you get that nostalgia ball rolling for the cast and robots. The background will also help in dealing with the vast amounts of back story that the games carry forward with each title. It's a fantastic look/sounding SRW game though so if you just like mecha in general you might be able to punch through and have fun, after all a lot of us played older SRW games in Japanese with nothing but an old gamefaqs MNeidengard summary translation. If you're into challenge points in the game, MD leans more towards puzzles than pure power.

But anyway the big elephant in the room is the machine translation, it is horrendously bad. I don't know if we have a better representative than the below launch meme. I feel like the actual game was even worse when I played it but it's been a long time.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Kchama posted:

I get the sentiment of all of this, but is Great Zeorymer's unlock requirements 'tedious hoops'? Beyond 'don't deploy it unless forced to', it's literally "Go all the routes that have Zeorymer's plot, and use Zeorymer to defeat all the Zeorymer enemies".

That's a lot less tedious than Vorlent's requirement of "Beat the game with all other protag units" in the same game.

I don't see how great zeorymer's unlock makes sense beyond it being an amalgamation of zeorymer and it's defeated opponents.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Didn’t they say they want to keep IBO as a DD exclusive for a while or is that just an internet rumor?

Not exclusive per se and not just for that specific Gundam franchise, but what they did say is that they intentionally spread out "high impact" debuts throughout all their games rather than something like... I dunno, Z2 I guess where they managed to jam in just about every "high impact" series of that era into one game.

As much as some people dislike it, the company does consider the gacha games to be "fully fledged games", thus why Mazinger Infinity isn't listed as a Debut back in T (because it showed up in X-Omega.)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I think MD is only really worth it if you've been a fan of the older SRW games for a long time so you get that nostalgia ball rolling for the cast and robots. The background will also help in dealing with the vast amounts of back story that the games carry forward with each title. It's a fantastic look/sounding SRW game though so if you just like mecha in general you might be able to punch through and have fun, after all a lot of us played older SRW games in Japanese with nothing but an old gamefaqs MNeidengard summary translation. If you're into challenge points in the game, MD leans more towards puzzles than pure power.

But anyway the big elephant in the room is the machine translation, it is horrendously bad. I don't know if we have a better representative than the below launch meme. I feel like the actual game was even worse when I played it but it's been a long time.

Yeah, the translation certainly exists.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Dance Officer posted:

I don't see how great zeorymer's unlock makes sense beyond it being an amalgamation of zeorymer and it's defeated opponents.

Because putting the boy in the robot slowly brainwashes him into Dr. rear end in a top hat. By not putting him in the robot unless necessary, he doesn't get influenced by his creator nearly as much. So the game rewards you for that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is there an SRW that captures the insane experience of watching Layzner in 2000s?

As in a show created during cold war and heavily influenced by the ideas of the time? It's not something that comes up a lot explicitly even though mecha anime tends to be very political. The only similar thing I can think of right now is that Patlabor episode with the Soviet detector.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not quite what you're looking for but it's worth mentioning Full Metal Panic takes place in a world where the cold war never ended.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Ashsaber posted:

Because putting the boy in the robot slowly brainwashes him into Dr. rear end in a top hat. By not putting him in the robot unless necessary, he doesn't get influenced by his creator nearly as much. So the game rewards you for that.

Huh, I forgot about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

Not exclusive per se and not just for that specific Gundam franchise, but what they did say is that they intentionally spread out "high impact" debuts throughout all their games rather than something like... I dunno, Z2 I guess where they managed to jam in just about every "high impact" series of that era into one game.

As much as some people dislike it, the company does consider the gacha games to be "fully fledged games", thus why Mazinger Infinity isn't listed as a Debut back in T (because it showed up in X-Omega.)

Heck Destiny debuted in Scramble Commander 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davzz posted:

Sadly this also seems to mean that they consider a bunch of stuff that was used in X-Omega 'recently used.'

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davzz posted:

I think they also mentioned IBO specifically for debuts when they were splitting between T and DD, since they ultimately decided to have the cell phone game have more "new" hits, while T would have more retro stuff.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I thought I could power through MDs...translation because I was just happy to have one in English. I was wrong. Buyer beware. But I'm a die-hard though so drip feed the Engrish directly into the vein. I took a long break.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think playing so many of the games in Japanese, a language I do not understand, made me immune to Moon Dwellers’ script.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The MD script isn't good but it's hardly illegible. You can understand what people are saying pretty easily. The actual problem is that MD's story is pretty convoluted and requires you to keep track of what a bunch of different factions are up to and plot elements from 2-3 previous games that haven't received an official translation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

Huh, I forgot about that.

He nailed it in one, yeah.

Neo_Crimson posted:

The MD script isn't good but it's hardly illegible. You can understand what people are saying pretty easily. The actual problem is that MD's story is pretty convoluted and requires you to keep track of what a bunch of different factions are up to and plot elements from 2-3 previous games that haven't received an official translation.

Also, this. I didn't have too much trouble understanding the plot, but when I streamed it my viewers were pretty lost due to that aspect.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, the translation certainly exists.

To be fair, Ryusei is exactly the kind of doofus who would argue about super robot orthodox design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kchama posted:

Because, IIRC, the zeorymer units don't show up concretely under one specific plot line (IE: you don't just follow the gundams or whatever) so you have to zig-zag across the storyline getting half of each plot making sure to deploy zeorymer only when the zeorymer is necessary and kill the zeorymer bosses with zeorymer. It felt tedious to me; beating the game three times over was just playing the game three times which was only tedious if you didn't really like J imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean the Great Zeorymer thing was just a fun bonus thing, not anything super critical. Zeorymer Classic is still a complete utter shitwrecker.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
If you're gonna be playing through the game four whole times anyway (three times to unlock the Raftclans, a fourth time to actually use it), I think it's just fine to include a secret with unusual conditions. Gives you something to shoot for after you've seen all the other paths, and unlocked all the other secrets.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Because, IIRC, the zeorymer units don't show up concretely under one specific plot line (IE: you don't just follow the gundams or whatever) so you have to zig-zag across the storyline getting half of each plot making sure to deploy zeorymer only when the zeorymer is necessary and kill the zeorymer bosses with zeorymer. It felt tedious to me; beating the game three times over was just playing the game three times which was only tedious if you didn't really like J imo.

Maybe our definitions of 'tedious' differ since that's just playing the game normally except you don't deploy Zeorymer.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the Great Zeorymer thing was just a fun bonus thing, not anything super critical. Zeorymer Classic is still a complete utter shitwrecker.

Zeorymer is pretty good but it's not on the level of the real wrecking balls in J.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If I recall correctly isn't part of the problem that going the path for Great Zeorymer also prevents you from getting most of the other secrets in the game