Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Kanos posted:

G-Reco in X was really weird because they actually included a lot more units than I expected them to but a lot of them were weird half-baked inclusions with like one attack. I'm part of the G-Reco fan crew and I probably would have been happier if they included less units but fleshed out the ones they did include more.
I am eagerly awaiting the possibility of them bringing back G-Reco and actually doing it to the nines this time, presumably whenever the movies wrap up (Also an RG G-Self)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
RG-Self

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I liked in V how you had Gaine for like, half a stage before he combined into Might Gaine. Looks like they're not doing that for J-decker which is a shame IMO.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I liked mixing Gundam parts in that MS Saga jrpg and actually seeing it visibly. That game was a treat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I liked mixing Gundam parts in that MS Saga jrpg and actually seeing it visibly. That game was a treat.

I'd love to see a new one. So much Gundam has happened since then too! A sequel would have like 15 years of parts to draw from.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/180223/status/1442787744611069952

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rascyc posted:

The customization in MS Saga is neat but the plot combines all the gundam cliches with all the JRPG cliches to create something entirely void of original thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

Generally orthodox series entries
X-O/GC originals confirmed for DLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Presumably 'Unicorn is not DLC' means 'Unicorn will be a secret.' They did show Banagher in PV2, and the unicorn does appear briefly in a flashback in Narrative, so you can fudge it to get it in without having to have Unicorn as an entry in the series list. Probably a standard get Banagher a certain number of kills thing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Maybe banagher under X kills for that inner peace thing?

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 28, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wonder what the cut-off for DLC was as far as time goes. 2019? Last year?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What do they mean by "surprise" entries? As in all-new never before seen series entries?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I assume they mean there that series that were complete oddballs in Omega won't be DLC, so no Heybot, Pop Team Epic, etcetera.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Presumably 'Unicorn is not DLC' means 'Unicorn will be a secret.' They did show Banagher in PV2, and the unicorn does appear briefly in a flashback in Narrative, so you can fudge it to get it in without having to have Unicorn as an entry in the series list. Probably a standard get Banagher a certain number of kills thing.

I guess it depends on if Unicorn means the Unicorn Gundam or Unicorn the series.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In similar robot strategy game news: PS4/PS5's Relayer is coming out in Japan on February 17th, 2022. They alleged to have a global worldwide release planned so that may be our release date too. Big gameplay blowout coming in Famitsu on the 30th.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

I will readily admit I'm That Guy that liked how you could break up combining mechs and Gundams into the various constituent parts/core fighters, even though that feature was largely useless outside of one specific exploit. I also enjoyed how Combattler had like seventy-six different weapons, only five or six of which ever got used regularly. Like, I understand why that level of pointless detail is no longer feasible, I'm just also a bit wistful for those days.

If it helps I think Terada has stated that he wants to do a "retro" style SRW some day - granted I have no idea how "retro" he's talking about so maybe he's talking so old-skool that the units are static sprites whose weapons pop into their hands as they float towards the enemy while vibrating a little.

Even if he did get approval though I can't imagine that lasting for more than a single nostalgiabait game though, like even Mega Man 9 / 10 had to return to low budget 3D graphics eventually for 11.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Droyer posted:

I liked in V how you had Gaine for like, half a stage before he combined into Might Gaine. Looks like they're not doing that for J-decker which is a shame IMO.

The biggest missed opportunity from the z series is not needing to deploy a small army in order to combine into ultimate gravion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I guess it depends on if Unicorn means the Unicorn Gundam or Unicorn the series.
I imagine it means Unicorn Gundam, especially since it would probably be relatively easy to grab the sprite from V and drop it into 30 with little hassle.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

Getting Great Zeorymer means you're not getting the IWSP pack, Gale in the Greimkaiser and layzner mk2. And the x-aestivalis.

It's not too terrible a price to pay. The X-aestivalis is laughably bad. IWSP is the best pack for the Strike but Kira has Freedom when you get it, so why are you still using Strike? And finally Gale is merely okay, and you can still get the much better Julia.

IWSP's main utility is if you're a Cagalli fan honestly, since Strike Rouge also benefits from it. It's about the only actual price you pay mechanically. (Other posters have mentioned how disjointed the route choices are though from a story perspective.)

Davzz posted:

If it helps I think Terada has stated that he wants to do a "retro" style SRW some day - granted I have no idea how "retro" he's talking about so maybe he's talking so old-skool that the units are static sprites whose weapons pop into their hands as they float towards the enemy while vibrating a little.

Even if he did get approval though I can't imagine that lasting for more than a single nostalgiabait game though, like even Mega Man 9 / 10 had to return to low budget 3D graphics eventually for 11.

I would guess that if he got approval for something like this they'd be aiming at something around an SRW J level of graphics/animation or thereabouts, since there was also kind of an implication such a title might not be voice acted.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Davzz posted:

For "retro" how about bringing back moving character portraits during Intermissions and Helmet-on portraits during Battle Animations ala the first two Alphas.

Please?:unsmith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 29, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
For retro SRW as frequent as stuff like gundam is in every game: I'd love if it did have 0079, classic mazinger Z and getter (despite how much I love Armageddon) and other series that fit that distinctly retro niche too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bring back the Z1 retro-styled effects.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
more godmars jank please

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
helll yeah!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alacron posted:

more godmars please

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Please god give us some UC gundams that aren't main series. I miss the 0080 and 0083 crews.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Playable Katejina in the Zanspine" is probably a bit much to ask, but 30 will probably at least give us Katejina in the Gottrlatan.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kitfox88 posted:

Please god give us some UC gundams that aren't main series. I miss the 0080 and 0083 crews.

I think next time 0083 comes back, Cima should be unlockable while Gato gets iced no matter what. She got a pretty raw deal in the original series, and SRW hasn't righted that wrong once in thirty years (Impact even has the Gerbera Tetra as a playable unit, without her), while Gato remained a hardcore Zeon supporter to the end, up to and including being personally responsible for one of the few successful colony drops in the UC. I say swap the two out.

Also 08th MS Team should be in a game with GaoGaiGar, MightGaine, and Gurren Lagann. Cram as much Nobuyuki Hiyama as humanly possible into every video game. Wait poo poo that would mean more Gundam SEED. Okay maybe exceptions can be made.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If they did 0083 again it'd be cool if they did the Rebellion manga instead of the anime. It's an overall better take on the same basic story, and has some cool new robots too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EclecticTastes posted:

I think next time 0083 comes back, Cima should be unlockable while Gato gets iced no matter what. She got a pretty raw deal in the original series, and SRW hasn't righted that wrong once in thirty years (Impact even has the Gerbera Tetra as a playable unit, without her), while Gato remained a hardcore Zeon supporter to the end, up to and including being personally responsible for one of the few successful colony drops in the UC. I say swap the two out.

Also 08th MS Team should be in a game with GaoGaiGar, MightGaine, and Gurren Lagann. Cram as much Nobuyuki Hiyama as humanly possible into every video game. Wait poo poo that would mean more Gundam SEED. Okay maybe exceptions can be made.

Haman is also directly responsible for a colony drop that killed a ton of people and she's been recruitable multiple times.

It would be neat to see some playable Cima representation, but I get the vibe that SRW barely remembers she even exists most of the time. She's certainly never really a major antagonist in any of the games like Gato is, and several of the 0083 inclusions don't even have her.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anyway while I’m begging gimme advance of zeta too

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kanos posted:

Haman is also directly responsible for a colony drop that killed a ton of people and she's been recruitable multiple times.

It would be neat to see some playable Cima representation, but I get the vibe that SRW barely remembers she even exists most of the time. She's certainly never really a major antagonist in any of the games like Gato is, and several of the 0083 inclusions don't even have her.

I mean, I'm pretty well aware of the reasons why Cima gets sidelined so hard (aside from the more obvious reason, cultural ideas about loyalty hold that Gato is somehow a better person than Cima because she tried to betray Zeon, even though Zeon betrayed her first with the whole nerve gas thing), I just don't think it's fair. Plus, if Banpresto is looking more toward global releases going forward, I think international audiences would (rightly) be more likely to sympathize with Cima than Gato, so it would be a win-win.

Also, it occurs to me that the reason 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team haven't been in a mainline game in so long might have to do with their usual playable casts being made up almost entirely of non-Newtypes. Unless a player is specifically playing favorites with them, they almost always end up abandoned by the ends of the games they show up in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gato comes with a cool chunky mech with a big nuclear bazooka, Cima would come with a much less notable and interesting unit. The Tetra isn't bad or anything, it's just boring compared to Nuclear Bazooka.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Gato comes with a cool chunky mech with a big nuclear bazooka, Cima would come with a much less notable and interesting unit. The Tetra isn't bad or anything, it's just boring compared to Nuclear Bazooka.

And yet it's only in Alpha 2 and 3 that the GP02A is worth fielding, when they give it a beam bazooka attack and up the range on its head vulcans and beam saber so range boosting parts can be used. Cause otherwise, it's got range one head vulcans, range one beam saber, and a high morale one-shot map attack. Although granted, 0083 in a modern game would give you plenty of options to make it spam warheads.

But I am absolutely echoing the desire for recruitable Cima. Long overdue.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

The GP-02 is canonically wrecked in battle with Kou, so it's not like one couldn't have a secret that lets you salvage the Physalis while having Gato just escape. It still bugs me how Impact just gives you the Gerbera Tetra. Not even as a secret, you just get it, sans pilot. It's kind of even more galling when you look at just how many obscure UC pilots they flooded Alpha 2 and 3 with, as though they feared we might run out, but couldn't make room to give Cima a chance to join in. Wouldn't want to make Birgit Pirjo, a character nobody remembered until literally this sentence, feel crowded out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'll always remember Birgit for two reasons:

1. The original romanization some people used to use for his name was Billgeet, which is funny to say.
2. The man managed to die to a Bug while piloting a mobile suit, which is in the running for one of the most pathetic and humiliating deaths in the entire Gundam franchise.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe I'm the only one, but I was disappointed Birgit wasn't in X.

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, it occurs to me that the reason 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team haven't been in a mainline game in so long might have to do with their usual playable casts being made up almost entirely of non-Newtypes. Unless a player is specifically playing favorites with them, they almost always end up abandoned by the ends of the games they show up in.
I feel like it's less about Newtypes - it's not like they can't just give Chris, Kou, and Shiro stats and skills that justify keeping them in their suits over Beecha or someone - than the shift away from the original Gundam and the One Year War. The only games to feature any of the classic UC OVAs without Mobile Suit Gundam were Alpha Gaiden/2/3 having 0083, and those were sequels to a game that crammed every Gundam except 08th and G into one game. It's not like they don't do big timeline squishes, like X's UC world featuring F91 happening at the same time as CCA with the ZZ cast around, and 0083 could fit in well enough with other Zeon-centred stories, but it might be part of why it's not in.

The other thing is that there's a lot more Gundam these days - even when Alpha 3 came out, there were only 5 Gundam AUs and of those, Turn A's an odd fit with the UC and G's build around a premise that doesn't really work in an SRW stage. It's easy to fit Destiny, Wing, or 00 into a Super Robot War, and if you're going to put 3-5 units in it's probably going to sell more copies to have one of those casts compared to the people who would buy for some parts of UC but not the more mainstream ones.

I do hope they get into a game in the near future though, they've always provided fun units to use and their plots have lots of obvious secrets. Between ace bonuses and half-upgrade bonuses, the recent games give better payoff for investing in supporting units beyond "that robot you like now has a finisher as good as a mid-tier protagonist attack", and that would suit all the side characters those series include.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That reminds me, maybe I don't fully understand how licensing works, but Bandai-Namco owns Sunrise and the Gundam franchise, what exactly keeps them from using whatever mix of Gundam stuff they feel like in any given SRW, aside from animation/voice/BGM budget concerns? To the best of my knowledge, the series themselves should be completely free. Like, in theory, couldn't any game featuring Crossbone Gundam also have the original F91 around for Kincade?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EclecticTastes posted:

That reminds me, maybe I don't fully understand how licensing works, but Bandai-Namco owns Sunrise and the Gundam franchise, what exactly keeps them from using whatever mix of Gundam stuff they feel like in any given SRW, aside from animation/voice/BGM budget concerns? To the best of my knowledge, the series themselves should be completely free. Like, in theory, couldn't any game featuring Crossbone Gundam also have the original F91 around for Kincade?

Marketability, popularity, if the SRW team request it or not, probably a bunch of other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Marketability, popularity, if the SRW team request it or not, probably a bunch of other reasons.

I mean, I know why they would/wouldn't put a lot of work in to include something, but a lot of the time there's not much cost involved.

To give a specific example, why didn't they just copy/paste the F91 from X into T as a unit-only inclusion? As I recall, more than a few people were dissatisfied with Kincade being stuck with the watered-down X-1. Don't even record new lines, just have Kincade say his generic dialog, and I'm pretty sure cut-ins are assigned to attacks on mobile suits automatically (I doubt someone assigns each cut-in for every possible pilot manually), so there'd be literally no additional work beyond just getting it copied over.