Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even if SRW30 outsells all expectations it's probably going to do relatively popular Atelier levels of sales and those gave up the dub ghost a while ago despite have 1/10th as much voiced dialogue as SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

what is it with idols and robots, not counting macross.

I mean "not counting macross" is kind of hard to do because Macross is a major influence on that. Idols and robots go together because Macross made them do so.

Even beyond that it's because the basic themes of mecha go well with an idol style group. Large personality types with their own distinctive marketable gimmicks translate easily from pop group to pop group in a robot. (And vice-versa, which is why people drawing the Wing Boys as musicians or whatever goes so naturally.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give us a Symphogear game but instead of being based around music idols it is about cowboys and instead of action it is a JRPG. Keep the music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

On one hand, I'm happy to have J-Decker and Volfogg who will hopefully get a Buddy Cop story going on... on the other, Patlabor is still stuck in OE Limbo.

And I'm still waiting for Granzort and Fighbird in a mainline game!

I want Da Garn. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Go crazy and have post-Destiny Kira having to mentor OYW Amuro just to make everything bonkers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Because it clashes super heavily with aesthetic and mood of the entire rest of the show and the writers didn't have the chops to make that clash in tone work, basically. It just seemed out of place and vindictive rather than a statement about the true horrors of war or whatever.

Granted I never got as far as the microwave blood bags sequence people described because SEED has a lot of problems that are much worse than just "sometimes people get gibbed and it's weird."

While I'm not fond of SEED's ultragore, I think it can go either way. The shift from clean to horrible deaths can be very effecting to someone and SEED at least pretty much exclusively uses it at points where it is supposed to be uniquely awful. (i.e: deadly weapons of mass destruction or what is emphasized as a particularly tragic death.) I know there are people who like SEED who feel that the unexpected violence made the scenes hit harder and I think the "actually it's just a GURO FETISH" poo poo comes from people's dislike for SEED causing them to reach for the absolute worst interpretation of something. It's possible for a show to not work for you without it secretly being a sexual fetish. It's also possible to just not like extreme gore in a show. You don't need to make it something about the development team's character with no evidence besides "I want to hate them for making the wrong show."

As far as it being mean and vindictive, it's not really something that stands out to me in Gundam as particularly mean or vindictive. If I had to point to a Gundam show where pretty much every death felt like someone's barely-contained anger boiling out it would be AGE which may not have goresplosions but sure loves pretty gross deaths none the less.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 30, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. The original Gundam got bloody too, but it scaled to the rest of the mood, and usually punctuated a major plot beat. Char's legendary headshot was one of the goriest moments in the show, but it came as a climax to his arc, not just at random.

Similarly, Iron Blooded Orphans is violent and grim (at one point showing a character's soiled trousers from his suicide) but it's part of the show's standard tone. Life is cheap, death is easy, and the leads live in the shadow of powers that could destroy them with a moment's focus, so of course there are horrible deaths.

SEED, by contrast, doesn't really do much with its gory deaths. It just has them sometimes, in the same way it doesn't build up its war crimes by letting us get into the mindset of the people who commit them and the circumstances that lead to them, but just has people do war crimes to up the dramatics for an arc and give you someone to boo.

I mean I have to be fair and say that Blue Cosmos is an entirely reasonable and plausible villain taken in the context of the past decade. They are a group of rich influential racist assholes who are entirely inept and cruel and yet continue to make things miserable for everyone because it makes them money and lets him kill people they don't like. They literally have a plot about how they blamed a horrifying pandemic on 'those people' and everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which is weird cause the PLANTS are also rich assholes who live in their sky castles while Earth goes to poo poo.

It's a war between two different kind of rear end in a top hat ruling classes.

Like I said! More realistic by the day.

... so, how 'bout them Getters? Boy they sure are crazy, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind. Joke was too gross.=

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I'm fine with giving Getter my energy. Are you not?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give me Iron Leaguer or go to hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

https://www.suparobo.jp/topics/2021/namasupa/channel_03.html

Looks like a stream on the 22nd, 9PM JP time, to include 30 PV2.

Wonder if we'll get any info on the DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The one thing I am really holding out hope for is that the DLC isn't primarily Gundam based.

I know it's the easiest way to add 'new' units to a game but I really want to see it used for something cool and not just another mobile suit in a game that will already be overwhelmed with quality mobile suits. Give me something fun to put Shiro in goddamn it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Nope! Surprised me as well.

Part of me thinks that once Mazinkaiser Infinity arrives, Shiro will be able to take Mazinger Z out for a spin, so he'll have that as an out.

What I'd like is for the DLC units to be just fun concepts in general. Okay, you're stuck with only Gundam content? Go wild and make say, a customized Jegan that incorporates Rayearth technology or make a silly combiner out of Nu, Zeta, and Victory that plays like a Getter Robo unit. It's an anniversary celebration; don't let cold feet hold you back from going all out.

I doubt we'll get much crossover stuff sadly. They'd have to get permission from the license holders to make it explicit I imagine. That said I wouldn't be shocked if we get Getter Dragon from the Infinitism line.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't think the DLC will be too MS-heavy just because it has to be stuff most of the playerbase would drop money to get. Even if they weren't picked with the fact 30 was getting an official release in mind, not every SRW fan is gonna be huge on Gundam.

I mean to be fair SRW games often feature plot splits that boil down to "Do you want Gundam" or "Do you want everything else" so there must be at least some folks who are just in it for the Gundam,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

If I had to guess I've expect DLC content to be other OG mecha. Grungust and (original) Huckebein, maybe, or like the DGGs.

I recall hearing that they've said two of them are going to be OG units.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Having the combo partners as call-ins also means they could include Excellen without having to deal with the voice actress thing a bit longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

I started a draft, but no one signed up for it despite me linking to it in this thread. Are people just not interested, or maybe want to play a different game?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979280

I saw but I'm not sure interested in running V again that soon, sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Am I loving up in X by basically never fielding Wataru or anybody else from his initial appearance in X as long as other characters/mechs are available?

I'm still early in the game and chose to stay on the Ground party instead of going to space, is why I'm asking.

No. Wataru is a good unit but you'll survive without him if you don't want to. SRW is *very* generous about leveling and if you have a low-level unit get the kill (especially with an experience booster) they will gain shittons of levels so if you ever need to level him later just let him kill a few things.

The only units you suffer for not using at the Mazingers because they are tied to getting the bonus ending path.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wataru is a good boy but should be kept far away from bad influences like Cross Ange and Lelouch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

I thought there'd be interest for the Z2 superdraft, but it turns out I'm wrong again!

Sorry. I've cooled a bit on Z2 and with 30 coming out it is a bit hard to get pumped for it.

I'd do a T draft but only on the basis of A) I haven't played it recently and B) I have it on the Switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

that gridman attack looked really good

Yeah it seems like Gridman is The One The Animators Really Care About this game.

On the other had man Lelouch's mecha looked roooooough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

so will the animations still probably be all right for this game

They'll probably be fine but probably with some GaoGaiGar level weakness for Victory and L-Gaim if nothing else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Redo is weird but unironically my favorite Gundam series since Turn A

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The first two movies were briefly available on the Gundam youtube channel, so they might pop up again.

I wasn't too hot on it, myself. One of Tomino's greatest strengths and weaknesses as a director is his tendency to not give details when most people would. When there's enough to fill in the gaps, it's great, and it makes the viewer feel a deeper connection to the story. When there isn't, well, you get G-Reco, where important details are intentionally excluded so the viewer is left in the dark for major setting elements until you get clunky exposition on the subject later that sometimes just makes it more confusing.

Still. Pretty good looking, good sound design, and some creative ideas. I'm not sorry I watched it. I just wish it came together better.

Eh?

Bandai has released multiple US focused Gundam toylines now, you can pick up the models from target, most IBO episodes got over a million viewers when it was on Toonami, and even the Build Divers shows got full dubs.

Gundam's not as big in the West as it is in Japan, and it's maybe not quite where it was when Wing was released, but it's still a pretty big deal.

It's also worth noting that we haven't actually had a new Gundam series in five years. Just a Build Divers thing and movies. There's not a New Shiny Thing to get excited about in the same way there was a while ago. You don't hear people talk about it much because aside from the constant SEED arguments or discussing the 1/3rd of a story that is Hathaway's Flash there's not a lot of fresh meat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is also not a super easy SRW to work in. In some ways it suffers from the SEED/OYW problem in that the first season is largely a desperate attempt to get from Point A to Point B and you end up having to stretch the plot a lot to compensate for that. (Which is why they love teleporting to other dimensions to force it.)

It also doesn't quite slot as easily or smoothly in adventures as some other Gundam series in terms of big setpieces. I would argue it isn't really until Season 2 that it gets to a point where it'd slot more naturally into SRW but Season 2 relies heavily on the Tekkaden making terrible decisions and without that you... don't have much of a plot really. It doesn't even have a real final battle.

I'm sure it'll show up in a mainline game before long but it isn't like Narrative or whatever where you can just slap it in with two stages and be done or 00/Wing where you can just use the movie plot.

I feel like IBO will end up like AGE or G-Reco where it gets one game and then gets shelved for a while since it can't even do the "Well we're post-series" thing without rewriting the end of the series in a way that removes a lot of the character from the series. Tekkaden being safe, healthy and no longer having to kill themselves to survive is sort of no longer Tekkaden.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

This is a big thing. Even the organizations and people they end up dealing with are mostly forced upon them by being the least-of-all-bad-options in the moment. Tekkadan sailing off and making a blood oath to the Space Mafia makes less sense if they're good friends with the Super Robot Army, as an example.

Yeah. Like they'll write around it, they wrote around Evangelion after all, but IBO is a series based so much on Bad Decisions that it'll take a deft hand to not make it one of those series where you get frustrated about the plot events not getting subverted enough.

Though I admit I'd enjoy them going full crazy with it and you can just save everyone and the game ends with Biscuit and Fumitan making an amazing dinner for everyone while you attend Akihiro and Lafter's wedding next to Mika and his two wives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

It's not really unusual for SRW to include series themed around a single collection of renegade teenagers fighting their way through a lonely journey with no allies while being hunted by one or more evil armies, and it's not even that rare for one of those evil armies to be a major human government. And there's plenty of mecha shows where Team Main Character makes some extremely poor decisions and ends up having something blow up in their face. I don't think it'd really be that hard to fit it in. The nice thing about SRW is that if part of a series is a little plot-light, they don't have to include all the filler or monster-of-the-weeks, they can just flip over to another series' plot for a while.

Hell, much of season 1 could probably fit pretty well with the first half of Nadesico without even much tweaking. Nadesico has a generally unpleasant relationship with the government and a period of time when they're complete outlaws being hunted by the government, and it involves trips between between Earth and Mars. Just mash up Gjallarhorn with the Federal forces, adjust/replace the jump gate bit so they still have to fly at least part of the way back to Earth after Gai's sacrifice, and make up some excuse for why they can't do IBO's earth-side plot immediately when they get back to the planet.

The thing is that IBO isn't just about bad decisions but desperate helplessness where you have no support or help and joining the space mafia is one of your best options.

You can hit some of those beats for sure but the aura of raw desperation and self sacrifice loses a bit if you have GoShogun right next to you.

They've done it before of course bit it involves plots built around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

I am sad they never really went back to the Unit Shop from W. I'd kind of like the opposite where I can stick people in super lovely gimmick units.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Or the capture mechanic from GC

Yeah, I loved that stupid thing.

It also had the funniest version of recruiting Bernie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

Not exclusive per se and not just for that specific Gundam franchise, but what they did say is that they intentionally spread out "high impact" debuts throughout all their games rather than something like... I dunno, Z2 I guess where they managed to jam in just about every "high impact" series of that era into one game.

As much as some people dislike it, the company does consider the gacha games to be "fully fledged games", thus why Mazinger Infinity isn't listed as a Debut back in T (because it showed up in X-Omega.)

Heck Destiny debuted in Scramble Commander 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean the Great Zeorymer thing was just a fun bonus thing, not anything super critical. Zeorymer Classic is still a complete utter shitwrecker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

There's still no sign of an English version of SRW 30 PV2, right? I'm not just missing it somewhere?

Not that I've seen. Maybe they're skipping it because it was just a holdover until PV3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

Generally orthodox series entries
X-O/GC originals confirmed for DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh neat

Also since it came up, if Bangers is in but Unicorn is not I wonder if he'll just be in the Silver Bullet from Narrative

Yes they showed it in PV2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is me. I like the goofy GMazinger

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm still working through X and Banjo got Ace Pilot status and now I get 10,000 money per battle where I field him just for fielding him.

Wish I'd let him get some killing blows sooner because it's really late in the game now. Just finished the battle where you have to kill 20 copies of Embryo, then some weird battle against a dragon and a fireball where they have to be killed the same turn, then the Anti-Spirals again, and then I stopped and saved when it went back to the scenario screen because that was a long slog.

Right now I have it so that Xelguard and Vilkiss are abusing additional actions with ExC points and spirits that give more ExC points and power parts that give more SP when you move spaces, plus having a bunch of stats dumped into them and their pilots.

The Mazingers seem like the best mechs/pilots in the game because I haven't had to customize a thing and they are my best units after the Xelguard and Vilkiss. Drop Wall on each of them each Player's Phase and just wade in and tank mook attacks while the other units go after the win conditions/SR point conditions.

I ended up with the Cybuster in a secret scenario and it has a neat MAP attack (if I can get it away from allies and into a group of enemies) that I'd like to boost the damage on, what's the best way to do that? I've maxed the mech customization, what stats on the pilot increase damage?

My friend.

Cybusters map attack doesn't hurt allies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've always liked robots but I got into SRW when someone introduced me to Advance and I've been playing ever since.

Edit: What time/where is the stream BTW?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks kindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

30 has the potential to be a real long game in the end with all the DLC. They give over 40 extra missions all combined.

I am assuming they are going to be like the bonus DLC missions from the previous games and mostly be silly short things