Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Even without a full villain game, I'd love a game where the 'reasonable antagonists' are on your side from some series and the protagonists join later. You could easily swing this with the Rustal faction from IBO, but it'd also work for Suzaku from Code Geass. As a bonus it might finally lead to playable Cornelia.

actually come to think of it, lelouch of the resurrection will probably lead to playable Cornelia. huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking of the Z1 split - I hope another game attempts something like it sometime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

It's honestly crazy to me that no one has translated SRW W yet, considering it's considered one of the best games and has probably the most well known super robot in the West
what tends to get fantranslated is mostly just what individual translators are interested in, not so much considerations like that.

also what about tetsujin aka gigantor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
these games are so similar that once youve played one in english you can guess the menus for the others, like even if you dont have focus in jp memorized you know what the spirit that costs 10/15 SP and says '30%' does. prboably the reason theres so few menu patches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I think T has a better original plot and I like that it doesn't have the excuse of dimension hopping to make all the series fit together, but V does good stuff with Yamato. But yeah, of those two I'd definitely say pick whichever has a series list you like more. If you have absolutely no preference between them I'd prooobably say T is the better one by a hair.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i kinda like the tyranado tbh, its boring but a fun kinda boring. and it fits the punch-clock office worker motif. its ostensibly a grunt suit and all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Would the Bettermen be the first time, outside of the mobile games, they’ve used something that is just a straight up giant monster that doesn’t have any robotic parts or mechanical bite as a playable unit? I can’t think of anything that wasn’t at least nominally a robot, outside of like Alfimi.
UX had Will from Heroman who I'm pretty sure is just a guy turned into a monster? No pretense of 'machinization' like there is with the Tekkamen.

edit: oh wait someone mentioned him.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Having never played one, would T be a good one to get? It looks like it has more series in it that would appeal to me than 30 will have. Or should I just wait for 30?

Also I have a PS5 (five) with a disc drive. Would buying a physical PS4 import copy be what I want to do/just work?
T is a very good game and a great intro, and if it has more series you like than 30 would, go for it. These game are always very similar gameplay-wise and while 30 seems to be introducing a few new concepts it doesn't seem like any sort of radical overhaul or upgrade, so the only real differentiating factors are series list and writing quality. You know you like T's series list and I can tell you it's pretty good writing-wise, so go for it. My only real complaint with T is that the GaoGaiGar units have jank as hell animations.

And yeah the disc would work fine on your PS5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
https://twitter.com/Erroratu/status/1420237554604027906

guess this confirms fasalina is playable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eeepies posted:

I just saw the list for SRW 30 and omg Knights & Magic made in it holy gently caress pre-ordering as soon as I can.
post/av combo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

SRW30 has got me watching SSSS Gridman which is kind of a great series, so that's a total win. Is Dynazenon a direct sequel or just another show in the universe?
Dynazenon is mostly the latter. There are a few connections and a couple characters, but it's not a direct sequel or anything. I really enjoyed it but it's a bit more about the talky, vague emotional distress parts of Gridman than the twists. Though it does have an amazing sense of humor, especially in the audio dramas.

quote:

Yomogi: You see, the Kaiju could make spontaneous explosions in the air around it, so we thought its explosions wouldn't work in a place without oxygen.

Chise: Oh, I see! So this time, the Kaiju didn't explode when you destroyed it, right?

Yomogi: ... Now that you mention it... it did explode, actually.

Chise: Huh?

It's also about a combiner so most of the main cast would actually be playable in a SRW, so I'm really excited for its eventual debut. Gridman is cool and I'm glad it's in, but it's not like Rikka will be playable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

Gridman was awesome, and I can already see how it's going to be used in SRW and I expect it to be a favorite unit. I binged Dynazenon afterwards and while the robot stuff was a little less cool to me (totally subjective, I know) the character stuff was way more interesting. I loved the way each character had a robust life outside of what was happening with the robot stuff. Not really a topic for this thread, but when Dynazenon eventually makes it in I expect the combiner shenanigans will be fun And Gridknight is baller in both series, just gotta say.
Yeah I love dynazenon. My only real complaint with it is that I wish Chise got a bit more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Music is part of it. I liked how MX used the ending music for Mazinger and Getter etc.

Even that level of variation seems to be part of the past for SRW.
eh, not really? fmp didnt have any of its OPs/EDs at all in V, it was all bgm. That's a variation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
If anything i imagine the og battleship being so distinct (and existing because og battleships arent actually that common) is to make up for the lack of a battleship series like yamato or harlock

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
The Rayearth battleship had a really spammable MAP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i admit im kinda iffy on the map/mission structure stuff since being able to do stuff in any relative order feels like itd cut down on character development/cross-series relationship stuff, but they could make that work with proper gating. plus even ifits bad theres no way it can be as bad as operation extend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
it also includes Mama is a 4th Grader.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senerio posted:

Just saw the GC translation was finished. any tips for that game before I start?
early on the only guy you have most of the time and can capture enemy units is amuro, so buffing him a bunch early game is a pretty good strategy.

also capturing the gaza c causes a bunch of bugs so dont do that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Catching it in mobile armour mode causes the bugs. Mobile suit mode is fine.
oh good to know if i ever replay it, thanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senerio posted:

Are there any missables? Looking through the secrets guide I see something about sub-scenarios are there requirements for those?
sub scenarios are i believe automatically unlocked, or at least i cant remember any i had to go out of my way for.

they're all repeatable but some of them contain secrets you have to do on your first playthrough of them. besides that, puru 2 and the layzner mk-2 are the only secrets obtained during main stages, which aren't repeatable, so theyre missable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
on the other hand that sounds like it might make capturing the gaza-c optimal for speedruns :v: though the game can crash if you skip something it expects you to have, resulting in a busted save. like if you miss a main scenario where a unit joins, and then later on it wants to forcedeploy that unit, pretty sure thats a crash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
they should have used gridman as an excuse to put zegapain in a mainline srw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Droyer posted:

Isn't this what they did with X's protag?
Kinda? But X's protag was just from modern day Japan, Nuebot was saying the characters should literally be aware Super Robot Wars is a series of video games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
beltorchika's children is units only, so its just an excuse for the nightingale and hi-nu to be there.

as for 30, the only msv we've seen so far is the full armor hyaku shiki kai

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

In T, it's a bit more than that, despite the box's claims. Beltorchika's in the plot instead of Chan, and Amuro's explicitly a father-to-be. It plays into the whole decade long trio thing where Amuro, Koji, and Ryoma have all grown as people since the One Year War.
oh yeah i forgot that detail. t does some kinda interesting things with uc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Wasn't not an option in the Steam releases?
It wasn't in V at launch but it was in X and they patched it into V when X came out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
crossbone gundam has allied pilots that arent tobia and kincade too, but you wouldnt know from vtx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
its strange because they gave astray a ton of focus and plot in w so its not a 'gundam manga' thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eeevil posted:

It feels like they weren't really doing "post-plot" series at that time, or at least I don't remember any from J.
j had like one stage of voltes plot and basically no combattler plot

and w had wing be post plot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the actual difference is the sereis lists in the gba/ds games were way smaller so they had to do most of the plots or they wouldnt, have a plot. like w has maybe 11 series (not counting separate seasons of the same thing, like fmp and fmp s2, as different series) and t has like 19.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Demonbane is kids' toy? :thunk:

they did actually put out a demonbane toy last year. for about 150 bucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Japanese companies tend to price gouge dedicated fans while releasing the same products for cheaper overseas. Compare the price of an anime blu-ray in Japan to an anime blu-ray in the US. Thus, they don't want the Japanese fans to circumvent said gouging.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, but specifically pc games?
New games in Japan are usually about 70-80 usd and im pretty sure jp steam has way fewer sales

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i mostly like demonbane's design but i hate its weird pointy angled shinknees

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Yeah. They did a quick and dirty TL for MD, it did well, they did a TL for V, it did very well, they put together a proper translation team for X and T, they did very well, official english release on steam.

People focused on the licenses but besides that and the overheads of a console release (and these games were console only until recently) there were also concerns like marketing, how much text is in these games, and so on. It's no surprise they've slowly built up to this.

The dream is that 30 is so succesful that they not only officially release games as they come out from now on, but they also go back and port older games to steam with a translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
wataru is huge in japan. it influenced rezero! (real)

mrfreeze posted:

Is there any way to play the original VN or the updated version in English? I can't find anything except stuff saying that JAST did the US release and their site won't load on my phone.
demonbane's still available on j-list. someone's porting the official tl to the windows 10 version but there's been no updates on it and no official announcement of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I wouldn't hold out much hope for a dub - it's a lot of dialogue to voice, and it'd be impossible to get the original voice casts for these show's dubs (not to mention some shows have multiple dubs, or have never been dubbed.)

That said, there's a minute but not impossible chance an OG game could get a dub.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
xenoglossia kinda rules tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How horny are the idols for the robots iyo

very

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a few BONES mecha that have been in maybe a single game and no other, and a ton more that haven't been in any.

when's xam'd