Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I'm still mad we didn't actually get the Bebop as a battleship.

I'm not sure when they recorded voice lines, but Jet's voice actor died about 9 months before T was released, which kinda makes it difficult to include him as a main pilot. I know Jet had a few lines in that one Spike attack but I'm not sure if it was just recycled from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm curious, who was it?

It was Mashymre in X. Akurasu has the following requirements:

Before Scenario 29 begins: Defeat Mashymre within 3 turns.

During Scenario 29: Persuade Mashymre with Judau, then have Judau shoot down Mashymre

During Scenario 29: As an ally unit, Mashymre must shoot down at least 2 enemies

But it appears that only the first step is required to recruit him as several of us skipped the other steps and still got him.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

I can't speak for T because I didn't play it, but in V the Yamato is very powerful, the Shin Getter can become powerful, and the rest is mediocre at best. In X, only the Nautilus is decent, and the other two ships are mediocre. Handy for their spirit batteries but not units you want to be fighting with.

T is similar in that the Arcadia is very strong but the other ships are mostly used for support spirits. But since 30 doesn't have a battleship series like each of VXT had, the OG ship might fill the role of a good combat battleship.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but on switch I think you can use a credit card on a foreign eshop.

I think it depends on your card company more than anything.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I just want the OYW era to feature again. When was the last time, A Portable?

Yeah, AP was most recent. GC if you don't count a remake.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alacron posted:

What about OE?

We don't talk about OE.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even on short maps, 30 extra SP is huge. That's the equivalent of 200 PP worth of SP Up and you are getting it for 80. SP Regen is arguably the best value for your PP other than maybe Attacker and it just gets better as the game goes on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't really have the time for it right now, plus I don't want to burn myself out on SRW before 30. I love these games but I need a break between them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

It sounds like you fit right in with the draft crowd, to be honest.

How do people feel about a Z2 superdraft instead of V?

I would definitely be down for that. I did one of those years ago and it was a lot of fun. I'll probably play super slowly and inevitably peter out halfway through Z2.2 but that's just how drafts go sometimes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In the absolute worst case scenario where a unit is force deployed alone while so underleveled that they can't handle the enemies at all, an event will usually fire where you get the rest of your team on the field either when said unit hits low enough HP or when a couple of turns pass, so you can just die/run away and won't end up in an unwinnable situation. Use the characters you like.

That said, you are a monster if you dislike Wataru.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, when I played V, Ange was the character I dumped most of the resources I got into after the main character because the Vilkiss just curb-stomped everything the main character mech couldn't move over to and kill each turn (also the story bits where it kept unlocking more ridiculous attacks and upgrades right alongside the main character were neat).

I'm kind of doing the same thing in X, but the Xelguard is kinda boring so far compared to the mech from V (that I can't remember the name of because it's been years since I played V).

Also Wataru is constantly piping up during battles and cutscenes even though I don't field him, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. I haven't run across any Getter Robo characters yet in X, but it's still early in the game I think (or I may be about to meet them since I chose the Ground mission path?).

Is the Gratan tank thing ever useful or is it a joke unit?

Getter isn't in X, which is a pretty rare occurrence in SRW.

Gratan is a support unit that doesn't have much in the way of support spirits so it's not great. It's also a goofy looking tank with a fun crew so it does have that going for it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gundam is probably the second most popular mecha series in the west behind Evangelion, but I guess mecha in general is fairly niche. I think that's largely true in Japan as well, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

Zeorymer is pretty good but it's not on the level of the real wrecking balls in J.

It has a fantastic MAP, a barrier, two pilots and 30% EN regen. It also has Accel and Zeal on a separate pilot from the one who has Valor. It has slightly worse boss damage than the Mazingers if you don't take Zeal into account, I guess. J is a game where a lot of units can wreck shop but I don't think anyone does it better than Zeorymer.

Great Zeorymer probably isn't worth going for from a pure mechanical standpoint, but it is very cool and that counts for something.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Amuro used the Dijeh in Z and it was actually pretty good. On par with the other pre-upgrade main character gundams like the Mk-II.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Big list of stats:

Pilot stats:
CQB: Damage with weapons with the fist icon
RNG: Damage with weapons with the crosshair icon
SKL: Affects crit rate, chance to block with a shield and some skills
DEF: Affects damage taken
EVD: Affects evasion
HIT: Affects hit rate

Morale: Affects damage dealt and defense, unlocks more powerful attacks and some skills and mech abilities.

Mech stats:
HP: HP
EN: Energy, used for many attacks as well as small amounts used for moving in space and flying
Armor: Affects damage taken
Mobility: Affects evasion
Sight: Affects hit rate

Terrain ranks: Affects evasion, hit rate and defense while on that terrain type. Weapon terrain ranks affect the damage they deal to enemies on that terrain type. Goes from S as the best to A, B and C in descending order.
Size: Smaller units have increased evasion and hit, decreased damage and defense. Larger units are the opposite. S means small, M means medium and L means large, with numbers in front of S and L for especially small and large units, respectively.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The man called M posted:

What’s the priority for AOS Upgrades?

You are going to need to get Lab 7 at some point to unlock the higher levels so you might as well go for that first to get higher returns on the +MxP upgrades. After that just pick what sounds cool. This game isn't exactly super hard, even on Expert. I really like Supply 8 because it gives every unit an extra part slot, which is very powerful.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Purple 2 is insanely good and by far the best MJP unit. On Expert, you don't really get reliable dodge without at least 2 good evasion bonuses (Command aura, Focus, S ranks, Newtype, Potential on low health etc) and grunts will kill your Reals in 2 hits, maybe 3 with some sort of defense skill or barrier. And on maps with enemy battleships you need even more. Purple 2 gives a lot of evasion over a very wide range and can resupply. The map wide Analyze is pretty good too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Soji and Chitose in V weren't really the main characters of that game either, it was much more focused on Nine and Okita. It's a similar situation here.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

did they find anything else in there?

Shinkalion, Dancouga, Sanger, Ratsel, Irm, Gilliam and the X-Omega originals. This was data mined from the demo before the DLC 2 series were announced and it included those correctly so it seems legit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

So what is the difference between Kaidoh and Mamoru? I think the game implies Kaidoh is better for offensive and Mamoru is better if you are playing defensively, but otherwise it is hard to tell.

Their stats are so close together the main difference is that Kaidoh has Support Attack and Mamoru has Support Defense. But since switching pilots doesn't take a turn you can just swap Kaidoh in when you want to Support Attack and have Mamoru in for enemy phase.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My problem with Z's squad system is that it ends up being more restrictive on what units lead squads than single unit games. If you aren't using the units with good ALLs that means you have to kill every squad on the map 2 or 3 times, which isn't difficult but is tedious. TRI attacks are supposed to be Z1's solution to this, but they almost all have only 2 ammo so it's not really a good one. On top of that, the units in the back are basically exist to just be spirit batteries and enable TRI attacks because PLA attacks are pathetically weak.

Pair systems are a lot better because the penalty for not using ALLs is a lot lower with only 2 units per squad and the back units are typically more impactful.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

With zero weapon upgrades Rabbits Formation is like 6100 or something with no adjacent units. That's better than basically all of the non-main character Reals, though it does have harsher Morale requirements than most of those.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Reiska posted:

Choudenji Spin actually does get an upgrade when you unlock Grandasher, so that's already the case as it were. With that upgrade it gets up to 8200 power with 10 upgrades before considering any AOS upgrades, and unless the numbers have changed significantly from past entries that's more or less a top tier endgame finisher right there (I think the biggest ones in VXT hit like 8400 or 8600?).

I assume we got Combattler and not Raideen here because Raideen is an Akira Kamiya role, and Kamiya's mostly retired from voice acting and is definitely not able to do screamy/shouty roles anymore which Akira Hibiki definitely is one; meanwhile Yuuji Mitsuya (Hyoma's VA) is still active and, in fact, I'm pretty certain recorded at least a *couple* new lines for SRW 30. (Most of the voice work used for Hyoma in this game I recognize as being reused from A Portable, but he had a context-specific line for fighting Zoltan which referenced the Sleeves.)

The only main character Super finishers that Combattler beats at endgame are SRX (7800 at weapons 10) and J-Decker's non combo attack (7800). It also matches Gridman's best attack until like the 4th to last key mission in the game. The big thing Combattler has going for it is that it gets that upgrade very early on, when all your other units are much weaker. It's not really until halfway through the game or more and you start unlocking stuff like Shin Shine Spark and Mazin Power that Combattler starts getting outdamaged.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alpha Gaiden is good, though it is on the harder end of the series and you'll probably want to make sure you are using an emulator with frameskip because it's pretty slow sometimes. Sticking with fan translated games, Original Generations, a PS2 remake of GBA OG1 and 2, was fairly recently translated and it's good too. I definitely recommend it if you like the OG series.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

L-Gaim has good music and great hair.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Is SRW 30 only available on Steam in the US?

Correct. There are English versions available on PS4 and Switch but you have to import/go through other region's store.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm working on some gimmick builds just for fun, and maybe for a full on low upgrade/unit clear gimmick run namely a nuke for Van, an armor/shieldtank for Lelouch, and an evadetank for Suzaku, but I'm not sure on a few mechanical bits exactly, just a shot in the dark if someone more familiar might know the ins and outs:

-I remember reading what feels like forever ago that weapon/unit ranks affect damage, with an S rank in both relevant ones being about a 10% damage buff for the relevant terrain, is that still applicable? Not sure whether running the SSSS part for full ranks is worth it vs some just flat damage output parts.

-I assume part based barriers and unit based barriers operate on the same 'slot' so to speak, so like equipping an under-2500 nulling orgone cloud on the gekkoei with its 4000 null barrier would just measure against the 4k, yeah?

-Does the 10% chance-based modifier from the Junk Terminal play nice with the Causality Manipulator and its 'under-30% always dodge' thing? I remember messing with similar effect parts in a previous game but I never really felt like I could tell if it was really working or not, but in combination with the all defensor taking away the repeated targetting modifier, could def be useful. Might be better to just go with a jacked-up mobility stat boost instead though, idk.

Not like anything really 'requires' it I guess, but it's fun messing around. Kinda wish I had a better means of testing stuff out, maybe the super ultra hard difficulty thing might work once that comes out, just throw a unit into a Front stage and test some stuff out.

Weapon terrain ranks do affect damage and yeah, an S rank is 10% extra damage, which I believe is additive with any other damage bonus (such as from various ace bonuses, mech abilities and the Attacker skill). I think an S adaptor or similar is generally going to boost damage by more than most +attack power parts, assuming the attacks you want to boost don't already have S ranks. For pure damage on a low upgrade run, I think your best options for a 3 slot unit are the Extra Arms X or Omega, S Adaptor and Brave Police Emblem.

I haven't tested multiple barriers in this game but I'm pretty sure in previous games damage canceling barriers like Gekkokei's do not stack with damage reducing barrier parts.

I honestly don't know how Junk Terminal works at all. For mobility, S ranks are probably the best thing you can get. S ranks are +30% to final evasion, the equivalent of an always on Focus. I don't think the repeated targeting modifier is a very big deal in this game, and in Suzaku's case he doesn't mind taking a couple hits because he has Potential 9 through Curse of Geass, which just makes him dodgier (and tankier).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah this is also how I understood it, which is why I was wondering if like, having a causality manipulator and junk terminal on at the same time might make it so you 'effectively' have perma evade anything under 40% and perma hit on anything over 60%, or if it'd apply the evade thing before modifiers.

Cheers on the damage tips tho. atm I'm using victorious turn and the 30th anniversary part for 40%, soldiers medallion for 235 morale, the ogami and lelouch stat buffs, and the 10% from being in command range of the dreiss. With the 40% counterattack bonus from van, I got 250k with just Charge, I can only imagine what having god's judgment will be like.

I forgot about Victorious Turn. That's definitely the best damage item. I was actually partly wrong about weapon rank multipliers. They are calculated earlier in the damage formula than other multipliers so an S rank is more valuable than a generic +10%. As for Soldiers Medallion it's generally worse than the big weapon attack parts by my math. Weapon attack vs the generic 10% damage parts is more complicated math than I am capable of, but apparently damage multipliers are multiplicative so I lean towards those being better when you are already stacking a bunch of them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I really wish they would adapt the Getter manga. Or even the TV version of Go or something. It would be nice to get away from the Ryoma/Hayato/Benkei team for a while, though at least Arc will give us that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Range is generally better than movement unless it's a support unit with repair/resupply/command aura/etc or a unit with a 1 range attack (which I think is just Final GGG in this game). Weapon ranks are also very good but with how strong unit terrain ranks are in this game I end up putting S rank parts on most of my reals. None of the other upgrade options are worth picking imo.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, just ran into a very weird bug. Both Betterman Cataphract and Final GaoGaiGar have lost their third part slots. While I've only had one CTD up to this point, it's really feeling like the game is starting to fall apart as I enter the final few missions.

Both of those only have one part slot at base, so with the AOS upgrade they will only have two.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I like Joshua's passive a lot and it's useful for both keeping your support units leveled and keeping your other units topped off.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SRW not having a "skip only previously read dialogue" option sucks and I would be way more willing to replay if it did.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

30th is like the 3rd hardest hitting non-combo attacker in the base game and the hardest hitting with the right part setup. It's boring, but still super strong.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

I'm pretty close to beating T right now, and feel like playing it some more. Anyone up for a T draft in a ~week?

I'm interested. Just post in here when the thread is live because I probably won't see it otherwise.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

I want at least 5 players for a prospective T draft, preferably 6 or 7. I just made the draft list and there's 70 draftable units on it.

Are enough people even interested in a T draft? I'm worried people might be burned out on SRW from playing 30.

I'm down.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Godinion is solid. It's basically a slightly more offensive and bulky Ra Cailum for most of the game and once you hit the point in the game where the non-Drei battleships stop having effective combat it has a good enough support spirit set and Repair to fall back on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Repair and Resupply units are less about actually Repairing or Resupplying (though that can still be useful in the right situation) once you hit midgame and more an easy, low resource way to level support pilots. Especially in 30 where you can't control who gets the free levels/kills in the little side mission nodes like you could with Sub-Orders in earlier games with that feature.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the only variability in damage are crits and shield defense, barring those, the Shoot Down indicator is always correct. It takes into account barriers and various attack and defense boosts. If you have Smash Hit active it will also take that into account, but not if you have a 100% natural crit rate without Smash Hit for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I assume it wouldn't, but if a machine can take a support defend action that would kill it, will it still try to or will it let the unit being attacked take the hit? It occurred to me that the Gunblasters love to and also that the Gunblasters can be one-shot by any given boss lmao

I believe player units will default to not support defending if the attack will kill, but they still might get crit and die anyway. You can manually set them to support defend even if it will kill them, though. Support defense counts as defending so they only take half damage (40% damage if they have a shield) so they can usually take more punishment than you would expect. Enemy units will gladly support defend to their deaths and it's pretty funny when you line things up to get a double kill with a support attack.