Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lostconfused posted:

Hot take: SRW Z is harder than OGs.

I still have flashbacks to some of those brutal skill points and secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like how VTX had older originals cameo and I think it's a good way to go forward.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stairmaster posted:

important question is there any reason not to stick quattro in the narrative gundam

Stick him in the Nu Gundam for irony.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Snake Maze posted:

The MxP upgrades seem like a trap. Paying 3000 MxP to get an extra 100MxP every mission means it's 30 missions before you break even, and another 30 before you earn enough to get an extra level 1 perk. Seems like you're better off just buying something else and having it from the start.

I mean it's SRW so it's not like you really need to optimize, and maybe it's worth buying them anyway to get to the hidden perks further down the tree, but it didn't seem like the best starting choice to me.

I think the main thing is the level 2 which gives you a part that gives you 20 MxP per square said unit moves so give it to something with decent movement and you can get a fair bit quickly .

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't care if Knights and Magic is a mediocre isekai Ernie is 100% perfect for slotting into SRW and I hope he continues to show up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah like the Twin System in OGs isn't really just stapling somebody to the main unit for SP it was basically just two units in one and there is actually a bit of thought with it since you wanted to align all attacks.

And Tri Squad also owned.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

i think you jsut bumrushed all the gundam missions and now are surprised gundam has a lot of plot focus.

im halfway through the game and i havent even done the quattro recruitment mission yet and i forgot narrative was in the game until jona got a random line. meanwhile mjp has gotten a great deal of focus.

Talking about people's story experience in this game is honestly kind of wild for how variable it all seems to be.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I did burst out laughing when I saw this game made "kono pressure?" a skill.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh my gosh Earnie Just fangasming about half the robots in the hanger at the start of a mission is beautiful. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

EclecticTastes posted:

The Sazabi. Always the Sazabi. Games where Quattro is stuck inside the Hyaku Shiki are games where Quattro doesn't get deployed for the final mission.

Nothing stopping you from putting Quattro in something else.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unlucky7 posted:

One of the things I liked about Gaogaigar, the show, was the big unspoken truth about Guy; Despite his optimism and boasts about being the worlds mightiest cyborg, he is basically in a glorified Iron Lung and for a long time him doing his strongest attack would send him into the emergency room. A bit of darkness in what is basically a kids show about robots smashing each other.

Yeah the Goldion Hammer was thought up entirely because using Hell and Heaven was going to kill Guy. Rather clever how they made a multi-episode dramatic arc as away to get a new robot toy on the show. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lostconfused posted:

Watching Knight's & Magic and Ernie is just a not villainous version of Shot Weapon. Just going to create all these death machines, because it's cool. What do you mean they can blow up half the city now and kill a hundred thousand people?

It's really funny how his job is to basically be the Super Robot Mad Scientist making the absurd prototypes which are then handed to more sane engineers to make into workable mass production models.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WrightOfWay posted:

My problem with Z's squad system is that it ends up being more restrictive on what units lead squads than single unit games. If you aren't using the units with good ALLs that means you have to kill every squad on the map 2 or 3 times, which isn't difficult but is tedious. TRI attacks are supposed to be Z1's solution to this, but they almost all have only 2 ammo so it's not really a good one. On top of that, the units in the back are basically exist to just be spirit batteries and enable TRI attacks because PLA attacks are pathetically weak.

PLA attacks are perfectly fine for most enemies that don't have barriers and you know that you can switch leaders to get more tri attacks. Heck, most squadmate mechs have better tri attacks than the main character mechs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yinlock posted:

SRW always does this to some extent but it's funny when the Rabbits sortie on their story-wise first combat mission ever and have like 30 kills each(because I always do star missions last)

apparently they learned to fight on the streets

e: j-decker is notable for starting with a big ol goose egg at least on the super route

I think this is why it's called "Score" now

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I tried to give Mu some kills on stage 3 for the secret and the tulip counter killed him and I actually game overed in W. :downsgun:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think the smaller series list does help with giving W tighter writing and worldbuilding though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwarzwald posted:

As the show goes on you may find"threatening to kill Yurika" less of a flaw.

Yurika owns

Nadesico overall is a wild ride. It's a romcom mixed with a parody of mecha that will gleefully oscillate between absurd comedy and drama. It tells you this very early one, with one bit that stands out is An episode ends with the crew discovering a destroyed space colony. The very next episode has a gag sequence where Yurika, as the captain, has to officiate all of the victims funerals. Which leads her to having to perform dozens of different cultures funeral rites, dressing up for each one.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 9, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BisbyWorl posted:

https://twitter.com/GSW_touhou/status/1501573554734727171?t=VMZaqPlRwlaTCvuXAPo54Q&s=19

The Touhou SRW is getting a (JP only) Switch release at the end of the month.

Now if only there was any news on an EN patch for the PC version.

Getting a console release actually gives me hope it might get an official English localization

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think I remember reading somewhere that the OG games are more profitable due to the lack of licensing fees?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

30 is an ambitious title that stumbled a bit in fulfilling it's ambitions. It's definitely interesting and i can appreciate what they were trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NewMars posted:

Man, I read through the old LP of SRW Z by Brunom and the SEED hate is strong. Heck, that was the game in which you unlocked secrets by repeatedly nuking the Archangel, something you had to go well out of your way to do at least once, because it was a neutral unit you couldn't even directly attack.

It was nuking Kira with MAP attacks.. :eng101:

It was pretty funny