Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Very excited to smash robots into each other in my first SRW game, the series I have no excuse to not know too much about already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

hosed up that anybody could have a favorite Wing suit that isn't the Tallgeese ngl

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yo that thing kinda owns

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I'm very charmed by the idea of the Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, and Destiny being their elaborate selves and then the hot new war-changing MS comes along and it's the Gundam and its gimmick is just being very good at shoot and hit. That's some good SRW aesthetics-in-contrast stuff before even going outside one franchise. I haven't watched either SEED show yet, but I'm under the impression that the term "Gundam" doesn't get used in dialogue there, and honestly distingushing Amuro's Gundam from the 19 other Gundams in your squad rooted in premises where the Gundam name matters is the thing that always stuck with me as the challenge putting 0079 alongside AU Gundam.

In the seed stuff I think it was the name of the OS the hero suits ran on and was also a really incredibly nonsensical acronym. I could be wrong though, I bailed out of seed super fast once I realized it was just uglier, grosser UC.

This means I dodged the destiny bullet thankfully.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Because it clashes super heavily with aesthetic and mood of the entire rest of the show and the writers didn't have the chops to make that clash in tone work, basically. It just seemed out of place and vindictive rather than a statement about the true horrors of war or whatever.

Granted I never got as far as the microwave blood bags sequence people described because SEED has a lot of problems that are much worse than just "sometimes people get gibbed and it's weird."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

While I'm not fond of SEED's ultragore, I think it can go either way. The shift from clean to horrible deaths can be very effecting to someone and SEED at least pretty much exclusively uses it at points where it is supposed to be uniquely awful. (i.e: deadly weapons of mass destruction or what is emphasized as a particularly tragic death.) I know there are people who like SEED who feel that the unexpected violence made the scenes hit harder and I think the "actually it's just a GURO FETISH" poo poo comes from people's dislike for SEED causing them to reach for the absolute worst interpretation of something. It's possible for a show to not work for you without it secretly being a sexual fetish. It's also possible to just not like extreme gore in a show. You don't need to make it something about the development team's character with no evidence besides "I want to hate them for making the wrong show."

As far as it being mean and vindictive, it's not really something that stands out to me in Gundam as particularly mean or vindictive. If I had to point to a Gundam show where pretty much every death felt like someone's barely-contained anger boiling out it would be AGE which may not have goresplosions but sure loves pretty gross deaths none the less.

Sure but I'm not one of the people screaming about guro or whatever that dumb poo poo was, I was just answering that guy's question. Like I said, my issues with SEED go beyond sudden ultraviolence.

Chiasaur already touched on this a bit but IBO is a perfect example within the franchise of a show that leverages gory death as an effective writing tool rather than just suddenly blood.

Agreed about AGE though, that one's way worse on this front.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oh yeah this game is going to have L-Gaim in it

I am even more hyped now

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lmao at whatever that Battletech anime hater thing was supposed to be in a world where Clan players, the most Ur of Weebs, are so prolific

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The hell possessed you to share that lmao

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lmfao that Ace Combat is in there

Like it makes perfect sense don't get me wrong but it's still hilarious someone just went and did it, even if it is a fangame

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gonna play my first Super Robot Wars ever in like six hours y'all, pretty hype

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Game's out on steam

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I am gonna make robit fight other robit in this, Super Robot Wars

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

SRX is on the space path, yeah.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't even hosed with who's piloting what is that something I should be doing on the reg

I'm also mostly lost on what various stats actually mean but so far my strategy of "largest robot with loudest pilot available goes in first while everyone else shoots a bunch" has been working fine

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Which stats? Everything's pretty straight forward I think, except the melee stat being CQB (Close Quarters Battling) for some reason.

I had no idea what the hell "sight" did for a hot minute

Still not sure what SSP is but I keep upgrading it? Think its for the dudes on the ship to do special actions.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Also apparently the guys that made fallback are making a grendizer game

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1453802810441666565

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Caphi posted:

I don't know if the tutorials were as extensive in previous games but they sure are in 30. Have you checked them? (Yes, SSP is Supporter SP.)

Gonna say I have not checked any of the tutorials that haven't popped up on the screen directly in missions, no.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Big list of stats:

Pilot stats:
CQB: Damage with weapons with the fist icon
RNG: Damage with weapons with the crosshair icon
SKL: Affects crit rate, chance to block with a shield and some skills
DEF: Affects damage taken
EVD: Affects evasion
HIT: Affects hit rate

Morale: Affects damage dealt and defense, unlocks more powerful attacks and some skills and mech abilities.

Mech stats:
HP: HP
EN: Energy, used for many attacks as well as small amounts used for moving in space and flying
Armor: Affects damage taken
Mobility: Affects evasion
Sight: Affects hit rate

Terrain ranks: Affects evasion, hit rate and defense while on that terrain type. Weapon terrain ranks affect the damage they deal to enemies on that terrain type. Goes from S as the best to A, B and C in descending order.
Size: Smaller units have increased evasion and hit, decreased damage and defense. Larger units are the opposite. S means small, M means medium and L means large, with numbers in front of S and L for especially small and large units, respectively.

This is actually very handy thank you

E: Also is there a way to tell at a glance if an attack can't be used after a move when you get a new robot? I know someone mentioned an icon to the left of it in the stats screen earlier but I cannot for the life of me find any such thing.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 28, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

its this icon

Oh lmao I was told to look for a very different thing. Thanks!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Now that I'm more aware of what exactly I'm doing with upgrades and actually thinking about the game more instead of just blob-moving all my robots across the map I have to say this game kinda owns y'all

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Amuro shot to the top of my kill list pretty much immediately after I got him and has just lengthened that lead after upgrades. It's hilarious.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 31, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lmao I completely forgot GunXSword was in this

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MJP and Victory seem like they both become relevant again later on. There's just a lot of fluff in the early stages of the game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If you did IBO at all in this narrative you would either need to write completely different motivations for Tekkadan which sure whatever or the entirety of IBO S1 would need to be, like, the prologue missions. Alone. And then S2 you still write a different motivation for Tekkadan but it's less drastic.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I think someone already said this but I wanna see IBO and ZoE.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It's been hilarious having multiple characters sing Uso's praises and demand he not turn out like them.

Char over here all "seriously kid do not talk to me at all it is for your own good" while Ryoma contemplates murdering him.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So is Shin Getter hiding somewhere in this one or is the Dragon it? I'm assuming the Dragon goes through a kinda obvious change later but I dunno what the rule is RE multiple getters in SRW.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

does that mean no shin

ima be sad if that means no shin

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

hosed up imo

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Soon as you're capable of completing their objectives. No there's no easy way to tell if you can or not without going into one :v:

They cost nothing to try and fail though and are actually a pretty good way to level folks up since the enemies are often a few levels higher than you when they first pop up on the map. Also I guess if you want to farm efficiently relic missions are technically faster than front missions.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I also just did that mission and had that happen. And then it was never mentioned again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GunxSword owns and I'm very happy it's in this game.

Almost as happy as I am about L-Gaim.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Meanwhile, as someone who hadn't played any srw, the huck getting a giant black hole dick and new screechy vocals is hilarious and awe inspiring to me

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 5, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

There is nothing in this world more hype than Getter powerups

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

All the L-Gaim units have great animations, it owns

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MJP just kinda exists for me, none of the characters had anything really interesting going on besides stomachache, just a bunch of one note character traits followed by one wacky one for every member of the group.

Their villians own though because they all make hilarious noises when they do big attacks. Jiart's weird bad throat singing is my favorite.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I agree L-Gaim steals the show here because the animations on all the Heavy Metals are loving killer, the pilots are mostly good (Daba is a loving monster) and also Gavlet winds up being incredibly hilarious

Plus, you know, time for L-Gaim

Also whoever said the game made that one scene from Victory even worse when they tried to gloss over it is right lmao.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Daba in the Mk 2 was easily one of my MVPs all the way to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Regarding the spoilers above I actually used Betterman a fair amount for some reason and no, he doesn't seem to have any boss specific dialogue. Tbf the dialogue he does have makes it clear he just kinda lumps everything into a general "yeah you're an enemy" pool and doesn't really categorize them beyond that so its at least, uh, in character I guess?