Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think Alpha also had Alberto the Shockwave blasting a Jegan apart with his superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's very "Gundam Breaker with a lot of serial numbers filed off," yes. There's gameplay and stuff, and it plays well enough. The writing is kind of bad, though. The character designs used to be terrible, but they got a facelift and are now less terrible.

Just keep in mind that the parts you use don't have a lot of mechanical effect, because the intent was that you should be able to make whatever rad robot you wanted without having to worry about "oh no these arms are powerful but they don't match my aesthetic" issues, which has obvious ups and downs here. There is customizing that impacts how your robot plays, but that's unrelated to how it looks.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm basing this on basically nothing, but I suspect that what happened is that they knew there was demand for these games over here, so they lowered the barrier of entry by releasing them in English, but only in Singapore. So Americans could play them, but they had to import them. They did well enough that they decided to lower the barrier further by making them actually available in America via Steam, because "put it on Steam" apparently has way less overhead and hassle than putting it on consoles. We have yet to see results from this experiment, but if things pan out, they may decide that putting it on consoles is worth the trouble.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I suspect that the way the "mission select" and branching path stuff is going to work is "here's a small handful of missions, you can choose the order you do them in," but you have to do them all before you can continue. So you can choose which of the events happens first, but you can't proceed until you've done them all.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dual Gear is a thing that exists, kind of "Front Mission by way of Valkyria Chronicles." Still in Early Access, though, and only three missions are out so far. The translation was super rough and drat near unusable last time I checked on it. This might have been fixed since then, but I haven't looked.

Phantom Brigade was going to be something like Front Mission, but at some point it got all Frozen Synapse-y.

There were rumblings about Square-Enix doing stuff with Front Mission assets, but that's no guarantee of an actual Front Mission game. The last game they set in that universe was less than stellar, and the last game they made that actually used the name at all was a third person shooter.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This actually reminds me of one thing I really, really hope they do for 30: give me a proper new game plus. I don't care if units or characters carried over don't have story dialogue or anything. But please stop letting me unlock cool units for the last like three missions and no more. Zero, Neo Zeong and TTGL are really bad about this; but I think the absolute worst goes to Great Zeorymer in J where you have to forgo most of the other upgrades in the game and jump through all kinds of tedious hoops to get it, then you get it for the very end of the game and while it's incredibly powerful on paper; it's not actually that strong because by that point you'll have upgraded other units to be just as overkill if not even better without needing all of the bullshit to get it every playthrough.

Basically - if I get something I just want to be able to use it on a fresh playthrough :negative: .

Great Zeorymer's unlock in J always struck me as loving insane, because in order to get the super rad upgrade for Zeorymer, one of the requirements is never deploying Zeorymer. :psyduck:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Playable Katejina in the Zanspine" is probably a bit much to ask, but 30 will probably at least give us Katejina in the Gottrlatan.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will wade through hell and high water to get Katejina on my side, and since the Zanspine won't be here, the Hi Nu will have to do.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Occasionally I think about the old MS Saga RPG, and how it could be updated. I think you could re-use a lot of it overall, with some changes, despite it being a kind of dumb story.

Like off the top of my head:
(changes omitted for brevity)

I dunno, this is all just stuff that percolates in my brain when I don't have to think about what I'm doing at work. Random poo poo, but what if X?

I dunno, I'd settle for "MS Saga HD: Melee Doesn't Become Worthless Edition." :v:

Victory does have some rep, in that the "Overhand Cannons" (sic) were the Overhang Pack from V Dash Gundam, but I get what you mean with "actual rep" and would love to see Leopard in there myself.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I know at least some of the DLC missions give a poo poo about who you have or have not currently recruited, but some don't. I had the Combattler team pop up to talk in one of mine and I hadn't recruited them yet.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Ikaruga is such a finnicky hard to control hangar queen piece of poo poo that, even if they could easily make more, nobody else can use the drat thing.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the DLC missions just became available to me, the one about an idol contest, but there's a secret character coming later and I don't know if she's involved. Is the roster for this DLC mission fixed so I can just do it, or should I hold off because Katejina Loos gets roped into trying out?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The "only women pilots" DLC having dialogue for some of those characters, especially the one I named, is the big reason I asked, but now that I know that my dreams of seeing aforementioned character trying out for an idol group lie in tatters, I suppose I may as well go do it. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Do pilots that start with Potential gain an increasing amount of it as they level up, or is it "this pilot starts with Potential 6, that is all they will ever get, if you want more buy more"?

I think only non-buyable skills like Newtype level up on their own, right?

I should probably know this, given how far into the game I am, but it's on Normal and I got the giant pile of pre-order money, and you can coast really hard if you know how to build stupid amounts of cash early and get the custom upgrade bonus and five ranks of weapon upgrade on a few important units. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I would like to present my terrible, awful, no good idea for a SRW game: Super Robot Wars CG (Cute Girls), consisting of series where most of the pilots are female (or have multiple major female characters like in Macross)

-Mazinger Angels
-Getter Robo High
-Cutey Honey (1970's version) (New)
-Rinne no Lagrange
-Rinne no Lagrange (Season Two)
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-The End of Evangelion
-Magic Knight Rayearth
-Magic Knight Rayearth II
-Expelled from Paradise
-Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
-Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster
-Dancouga Nova
-Zombie Land Saga
-Zombie Land Saga Revenge (New
-Zombie Land Saga: The First Zombie (New, enemy units only)
-Fight! Iczer One
-Adventure! Iczer Three
-Chojushin Gravion
-Chojushin Gravion Zwei
-Dangaioh
-Stellvia of the Universe
-Macross Frontier (Post Plot)
-Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure
-Macross Delta: Absolute Live (New)
-Little Witch Academia
-Cross Ange
-Granbelm (New)
-Senki Zesshou Symphogear (New)
-Senki Zesshou Symphogear G (New)
-Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX (New)
-Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ (New)
-Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV (New)

Sounds good to me! :shepspends:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Fuu needs her Ace Bonus to get her spell down to 20 SP, but the fact that they have Bless and Cheer for 20 SP is part of why those two are a key part of my team. The other part is, of course, that I'm fielding all three Magic Knights and Hikaru is a shitwrecker, and with Spiral Flash, I can get off three real good hits on bosses per turn. Casting Bless on every enemy is a bit overkill (especially since one of the first things I do is fire off the Fairy's Blessing to give everybody Fortune), but it's easy enough to make sure it's always available for the enemies with big payouts.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The game does not tell you which missions have "you must go do this" counters ticking, the only way to find out in-game it had one is when you're told "stop dicking around and do this mission."

Counter is a property of specific weapons. Some of them have it out of the box, like Nu Gundam's Fin Funnels, while for others it's part of a custom upgrade bonus, like the RX-78's beam saber and beam rifle.

There is also the skill Full Counter, which just lets you counter all the time no matter what, but that comes later, and also it's pretty expensive to make more, at 2500 pilot points each.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I've got the money and PP doublers on my Az, along with an SP Getter for +10 SP on kill, and a Mecha Geek's Notebook for +100 max SP. She can chain together a ludicrous number of Multi Action hits thanks to being able to keep casting Resolve to a fresh set of five ExC when she runs low, and if her SP starts running out I can use the Chan/Beltorchika supporters to refill it entirely.

I was able to use her to take apart the second Five Wave Fight in two turns, and I'm pretty sure it only took that long because I had the Zealous Trigger instead of the Notebook.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only issue with Zeta is that when picking a counterattack, the AI will give extra weight to attacks with the Counter property. Which is normally fine, but Zeta's only Counter move is Waverider Crash, which costs a hundred energy to do, and Zeta does not have that big a tank out of the box.

Kamille has E Save EX and I boosted his energy considerably and I still gave him the Hyper Generator.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Aren't supporters unavailable for the "beat this guy but mind the Support Defense" stuff, because the Dreisstrager needs to be on the map to use supporters and it's unavailable?

You can still use MAP attacks and the like to hit the boss and all the potential Support Defenders, or if you hit hard enough you can just swing at the potential defenders and chip the boss down while also grinding down the defenders, but I think that specific trick won't work.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When they do it, they're amoral monsters willing to do anything for power. When we do it, it's a desperate gamble by people backed into a corner.

Totally different.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Option Parts I can think of right away are Gundam Mark II's Full Armor parts, swapping MP Nu between Fin Funnels and Incoms, the A/B parts for Narrative, and the Assault Buster parts for V2.

FA Mark II has better long range and better dodging, as covered. The Long Beam Rifle and Twin-Barrel Beam Rifle have similar power, but it's a question if if you want better range or being post-move. FA Mark II does not have a beam saber, but that's not too big a deal.

MP Nu's Fin Funnels are just straight up better than the Incoms, but you need to be at least a level 2 Newtype to use those. But it's not like there's any Oldtypes worth half a poo poo anyway. I guess if you really want to field the Shrikes and V2 is otherwise occupied.

Narrative's A parts have better range and speed and power, but the B parts have the post-move Incoms and also a MAP attack (which is, I must admit, hard to use because of its awkward shape and not being post-move). I'd say go with the A parts whenever you can. There's another set of parts later, which I haven't gotten to yet, but as I understand it, they're just flat out better.

V2AB adds a few weapons and a shield, upgrades the Beam Rifle to the Mega Beam Rifle, and gains the whole "if shot down, becomes regular V2" thing. In exchange for this, it gives up a single point of movement, which isn't that big a deal because Haro has Accelerate and it's not like you need much movement after the first turn anyway.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hi-Nu's Fin Funnels are post-move. That's a pretty big bonus right there.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Time to dump inadvisable amounts of money into the Sol Tekkamen! :woop:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

I'm really liking the story of W so far, I understand why it's considered so good. Too bad I don't like the rest of the game too much, though. I think VXT spoiled me.

My advice, and I am being 100% serious here, is to just cheat. If you want the writing but the actual game bits aren't doing it for you, trivialize them. "Abuse the poo poo out of save states" is certainly one way to do it, but I'm talking about just using an external program like ArtMoney to give yourself a bank account of Yes and max out all the units. Cheat Engine is another possibility, at least in theory, but I found it more fiddly to use and it doesn't work anyway.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Good candidates for sinking resources into are your Original Pilot and their unit (they're always pretty good), Uso and whatever suit he's in (dude's pretty high tier), Amuro Ray and whatever unit he's in (Amuro Ray isn't a loving legend for no reason), and the Mazingers and Getters are also good choices. There's a lot of considerations and specifics I'm glossing over here, but I'm assuming you don't want a detailed step by step investment plan, just a basic "where the hell do I start."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the AOS upgrades gives you a CQB skill part after every mission, and another gives a RNG skill part after every mission. That's probably where they came from.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Someone more qualified will have to give specifics, although as you've noticed, as long as you aren't flagrantly wasting resources on stupid poo poo like "maxing out the lovely Gunblasters you start with and then never deploying them," the game isn't that hard. Note that the "stupid poo poo" in my prior statement was the "and then never deploying them" thing; even the Gunblasters piloted by the Victory Scrub Squad can still perform if you throw enough money at them.

(also :goonsay: the Hyaku Shiki is not a Gundam because that refers to specific lines of mobile suits, even if it is descended from the failed Delta Gundam prototype)

There's also that minmax advice will depend on if you have the DLC and what order you do poo poo in. "Give Nu Gundam to CharQuattro" is a good play if you've got Amuro in Hi-Nu, but if you don't have Hi Nu then Amuro himself should probably be in regular Nu.

Plus most of the fiddly bullshit is in handing out the special parts, not who gets what machine. It's mostly the Mazinger and Gundam pilots who can switch machines around. You can do some other limited swaps, but the driving force there is mostly to see if anybody says anything fun, like "what if I put Daba in the Novel D-Sserd" or whatever.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While that would be neat, introducing entirely new mobile suits like that seems a bit out of SRW's wheelhouse. The Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai was already an extant variation, because Gundam loves banging out variants of existing suits that never showed up in the show for whatever reason so they can do slight retools to the models and sell you more stuff.

V2 Gundam sort of has that, in that it has Assault parts for armor and speed and Buster parts for long range firepower, and they can be equipped together, but that isn't implemented in SRW30. You can use base V2 Gundam, or you can use the Assault Buster parts, but not just Assault or just Buster. You also only get one set of parts, so if you're using both V2s, one of them is out of luck.

Narrative also sort of does that, but that's "the A-type parts are space only, the B-type parts will have to do in atmosphere, the C-type parts are just flat out better than either," and MP Nu is "do you want to give it Fin Funnels or are you going to swap in Incoms because you're desperate to use an Oldtype for some reason," and Gundam Mk-II has optional Full Armor parts that put a ding in its mobility, but give it way more armor, and trade out the Long Beam Rifle for the shorter range but post move Double Beam Cannon, among other things.

What I would really like is for some sort of F-90 inclusion because it has a ton of parts you can swap around, but I suspect most of those wouldn't get added or one of them would be just flat out better because it's the nature of the beast, like how Super Robot Wars R's Original was the Excellence which had a bunch of cool frames to use, all of which were obsoleted by the final form (Eternal for Fiona, Lightning for Raul) to the point that I don't think the other frames were even available.

And there comes a point of fiddly robot customization where I would suggest just going to another franchise. If you have a Switch, then remakes of the first two Front Mission games are coming to that. 1 on the SNES didn't come over here originally but the DS remake was released in English, 2 on the PS1 never came over here at all, 3 on the PS1 and 4 on the PS2 made it over, 5 on the PS2 did not. The other games in the Front Mission franchise, if you're interested, are Gun Hazard (SNES platformer, no official English release), Evolved (PC/360/PS3, third person shooter, not very good), and Left Alive (loving garbage).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The dream is that one of these days, you can recruit Katejina in the Zanspine. Alas, 30 did not come through on that one.

I don't think the Zanspine has been in any SRW.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Which is weird, because Alan is voiced by Hideyuki Tanaka, who also does Gilliam and Rayearth. Did they not get him for those?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought Johnny's being a case of psychotically controlling dinosaurs who are terrified of the internet was unique to them. So apparently they're all like that, Johnny's is just a particularly egregious example?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, I think Atlus had it potentially lined up, but it was the end of the PS2's life span. What they said was basically that there was no way to make money on it, because if they gave it a good dub, they'd have to charge retail price, and who'd pay full retail price for a PS2 game at the end of its lifespan? But if they gave it the kind of dub they'd be able to afford if they sold it at the budget price they thought they could get away with, uh. Yeah. They aren't going to do SRW dirty like that.

It's not directly related, but it does remind me of how Tokyo Mirage Sessions was released with no English voice track. The official reason given was "this is a very Japanese game about Japanese entertainment, of course we're going to leave it that way," but the real reason was pretty transparently "this is a niche game for the Wii U which has one foot in the grave, even if we could somehow find enough dub actors capable of singing to pull this off because almost everyone important enough to get a speaking role sings at some point, we would never make our money back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My understanding is that the Alpha 2 story has some pretty obvious Giant Robo shaped holes in it, and Brain Powerd is awkwardly trying to fill Eva's shoes.