Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

what tends to get fantranslated is mostly just what individual translators are interested in, not so much considerations like that.

Or giant coincidences that you think are too insane to happen.

A guy that has done translations on robot manga was about to start playing SRW GC. (Oppai Missile)
Another guy that has been working on a menu translation shows off his work. (Steve0)
Yet another guy jumps on it and sees that story text can be translated the same way (Dashman)
And a fourth person jumps in to make a milky tits joke and show off some assembly programming skills. (Bring Stabity, aka me)

And then years later Arc Impulse joins to bring it to a successful close 8 years after it started.

https://desuarchive.org/m/thread/8853317/#q8884045

BisbyWorl posted:

Throw in G Gundam with Symphogear.

Master Asia vs Genjuro.

That would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senerio posted:

Just saw the GC translation was finished. any tips for that game before I start?

You can always thank Arc impulse, myself, oppai missile, Dashman, and Steve0.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siegkrow posted:

Did you guys translate it? If so, hats off to you, we appreciate having all the SRWs we can :tipshat:

Yup. Started March 2013, released May 2021. https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6105/ I go by Bring Stabity on pretty much every platform except SA. Thanks.

Senerio posted:

Why yes, I should do that.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Enjoy!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siegkrow posted:

I see that and I raise you Transformers Kissmasters

I never heard of that before, and I'm laughing my rear end off while reading the transformers wiki about it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceDrake posted:

I still can't get over the Three Ships Alliance Astray team just getting wiped out in a few passing eyeblink scenes and people essentially don't comment on it.

Seriously. Those girls deserved better, either surviving, or better deaths.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

But they're minor characters, and there's nothing to really punctuate their deaths after, so it just feels like they were Shrike team members. Disposable ways to up the drama without actually impacting the wider narrative.

How fitting that I'm shilling "pick which member of the Shrike team to kill" on my SRW streams. :killemall:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've mentioned this on discord a few times, but what I'd love in 30 is an srw ux style secret system (keep your secrets into future runs), and over three runs, you can save all the shrike team.

But, since I'm playing 2G (and 2 and 2 Complete Box), you don't really have the freedom to bring along weak units, because these old games are rough.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

This is the error I get that I have to Ignore to even get to the picture I posted last time.

Are you using the latest patch from Romhacking and applied it to a clean iso (not a gcm)?

It seems impossible because I don't think we publicly released this patch, but it looks like you're getting the error where I accidentally coded in a Move Word, instead of Move Byte command and made the characters several million pixels wide and crashed the game.

And what version of Dolphin are you using?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

I got the latest version 1.02 from Romhacking and applied it to a clean ISO, because the prepatched 1.01 I got had the same issue.

I just picked up the latest 5.0-14790 Beta version of Dolphin because the latest stable version is 5 years old and the Dev version is 'updates every day, buggy as gently caress' according to them. What version should I be using?

I'm using the 5.0 version that's five years old. Works fine for me.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

I'm use to multiple year old versions of emulators being far worse, not better than the newer versions. Thank you.

The Dolphin team is amazing, but this is something they really dropped the ball on. They need to release a 6.0 stable release. However, that would require them to do a feature freeze and shift development to bug squashing instead of all the fun new ideas they're coming up with. Just reading all the new stuff they've added over the past five years is really cool, but you always run the risk of big regressions. This is exactly a case of that.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Bought Crossrays while it’s on sale :negative:

I'm going to. But I'm kicking myself for not buying 30 when it was on sale at gmg. At least there's still a smaller sale on it at humble bundle.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hello thread I like giant robots and strategy games, and am trying to figure out whether these are good srpg games in addition to being full of cool robots.

Is there substantial mechanical depth here and content that will reward or demand engaging with that depth, or is the experience more advance wars-y? How much time do you expect to sink into one of these games?

If you really want mechanical depth, you might want to try srw D or J and play the puzzle robo scenarios. They range from simple to very challenging puzzles. No luck, all skill and mechanics.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean it is cool but also it is very scary. Robots with pupils that move around is a good way to amp up the unnerving what the fuckery

Then definitely don't play the games back from the classic and alpha series (and surrounding standalone games). They licensed the SD Gundam series, rather than the actual series (I believe because it's cheaper), and the SD Gundams all had pupils.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dance Officer posted:

I started a draft, but no one signed up for it despite me linking to it in this thread. Are people just not interested, or maybe want to play a different game?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979280

I saw it, but I'm LPing SRW 2, 2G, and 2 Complete Box. I may be a masochist, but not enough of one to add playing a draft to that.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davzz posted:

or very "for historical purpose only" because I would sooner recommend someone play Fire Emblem Gaiden on the NES over SRW 2.

I'm still not that far in, but SRW 2 hasn't been too bad so far. Still, I'm sure I'll get to the BS and Wonky-soft mechanics messing everything up later.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

IBO and SPT Layzner. Make it happen Banpresto.

You could even add Nadesico and Tobikage. You'll get the desperate attempt to flee, and crossover opportunities.

Also, I've been watching the SRW 64 translation, and it's nice the desperate situation in the first few episodes, but still with a lot of crossover happening.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vizuyos posted:

If you're gonna be playing through the game four whole times anyway (three times to unlock the Raftclans, a fourth time to actually use it), I think it's just fine to include a secret with unusual conditions. Gives you something to shoot for after you've seen all the other paths, and unlocked all the other secrets.

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall correctly isn't part of the problem that going the path for Great Zeorymer also prevents you from getting most of the other secrets in the game

The routes are pretty cleanly split into the "Most Secrets" and "Great Zeorymer" routes.
Secrets available regardless of route split chosen: Bonta, Rapier, and Allenby. Technically also Julia, but you can't get her and Gale, so she gets lumped in Zeorymer as a pseudo-route exclusive.
Great Zeorymer route: Julia, Balzack, and Great Zeorymer
Most secrets: Everyone else

https://web.archive.org/web/20080225150822/http://ikusagami.info/srwj/?section=walkthrough
That way, you can get every secret over the course of two playthroughs.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

On that subject: I always found Combattler, Voltes and Dancouga were weirdly fragile in J and it might have just been how I played but they never seemed as good as other supers like Mazinger, so I wound up shelving them until the game made me use them.

Multi-pilot supers have a tendency of being fragile to counter the sheer amount of SP they get. You're supposed to use their spirit pool to help tank.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matthews posted:

Who is the person Ryusei is talking to?

Akimi Akatsuki, aka Mankimi. He's the male protagonist of SRW GC and XO.

In those two games you pick him or (female) Akimi, aka. Femkimi or Milky Tits, and the other doesn't exist.

In OG:MD, they're twins, and Femkimi is renamed Akemi.

If you're curious why she's nicknamed Milky Tits, I called her that when testing Dashman's original translation tool, and made a joke translation for the part of the mission 1 prologue when she was getting into the robot, and called her that. /m/ took it, rolled with it, and has been using that as her nickname for the past eight years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1st Stage Midboss posted:

It's possible that money might have to change hands between parts of Bandai, depending on how the licensing works, but my personal ungrounded speculation is that it could be rooted in wanting to maintain SRW's identity as a game with Gundam in rather than a Gundam game. 8 of the 26 series in T are Gundam, and it's pretty easy to look at that cast and say that a third of the inclusions is enough Gundam. Plus, as great as the F91 is, it'd be a little odd to have Captain Harlock making a debut appearance in Super Robot Wars and then go out of your way to not put a space pirate in his space pirate Gundam by default.

This is pretty much the case. Large companies will have concepts like green bucks and blue bucks. Green bucks are real money that the company has to spend for something. Blue bucks are money that is spent internally (aka. shuffling budgets around). Companies are far more likely to approve blue buck expenses compared to green buck expenses, because they don't cost money for the company as a whole, but it still comes out of one department's budget and goes into another one's budget.

So, licensing a Gundam show for SRW is a blue buck expense. They probably get a discount, and just shuffle budgets around to account for it. It's not free for the SRW team, as it's reducing their budget, but it's much easier than licensing a show that Bandai doesn't own the IP.

These specific names/colors only work if the local currency is green, and the company has blue as a theme color. However, the concept is universal, just with different names.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hokuto posted:

There's at least one example of bonus dialogue for a character-based killing blow, but not experience point bonuses to my knowledge.

The one I'm thinking of is Excellen getting the KB on Lemon in the penultimate stage of OG2.

I just stumbled on a similar situation in SRW 2 Complete Box.

On stage 2: Killing Jerid with Kamille or anyone else gives different lines. But it gets better.
On stage 4: Killing Jerid with Kamille will give different lines whether or not Kamille got the KB on Jerid on stage 2, and killing him with someone else also gets a third set of lines.

SRW 2G also has special prebattle dialogue between Usso and Katejina on multiple stages. However, missing one will block any future ones from happening.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just glad I obsessively went into as many Japanese wikis as I could during the early stages of the LP and found a script dump. If I can't do a line by line translation, I can at least do a partial translation that people can play along with and I can point that stuff out.

I'm hoping that my synthesis of AGTP's srw2 translation, Carlos Mori's summaries, machine translated script dump, and my very limited Japanese knowledge provide some level of usefulness for those that want to play 2G or 2 Complete Box.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

wait theres no pv3 what the gently caress

Yeah, that was known. This was just a reveal of DLC 1.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senerio posted:

So question for people who would know this better than me; I'm playing the demo and in games where the Shrike Team is playable, how inevitable is their fate?

In 2G, none of them die so in my LP, I'm letting my viewers vote if they want to kill anyone. So far we've had one casualty.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyflan posted:

Got it on Humble Store, and weirdly it lets me try to claim it already, and then it just says they're "temporarily out of keys" which is something I haven't seen with any other Humble purchases.
Usually they just don't even let you try to claim the keys until the game is actually out.

Weird.

I'm getting the same thing.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cybuster is pre-order only. It won't show up later, unlike the other pre-order bonus units from VTX. However, there's supposed to be a DLC that you can buy later to get it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, like I saw someone found that if you get a certain number of kills with Combattler you unlock an extra stage where they learn Grandasher.

It's not even hidden. If you play the demo and take the Earth route, it'll show up in the "Prerequisites" tab of the mission screen. You need to give Combattler 30 kills and reach his CUB bonus to unlock.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the very least there's a bunch of secret dialogue. On the space route, playing the MJP stage before the Victory stage gives completely different dialogue compared to the other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Humble Bundle finally got me a key.