Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oh Don Piano posted:

I found season one dvds at thrift store and watched that and thats fine. Maybe one day ill find the rest somewhere out there. If im meant to see it thats fine

You should see if you can find it at HBO Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus
She was a HOOAH

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

You should see if you can find it at HBO Max.

I know I'm probably gonna border on hyperbole here, but The Sopranos made me think about myself and my own moral fallibility more than any bit of media I've probably ever consumed save for maybe The Brothers Karamazov. Tony Soprano is by all means an absolutely deplorable man. He's violent and depraved and has a near religious adherence to his own twisted code. So why are we compelled to cheer for him?

I'd say its probably a combination of the show's accurate depictions of generational trauma and borderline personality disorder, and Gandolfini's incredible performance. You understand Tony's past, so you understand and begin to empathize with his actions even when they are terrifying and misanthropic. Gandolfinis ability to evoke empathy for an actual monster is nothing less than profound.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
The Sopranos gets talked about like it's a drama but it's mostly a black comedy and extremely good, hope this helps OP

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like the one where tony pulls a gun out of a fish before shooting a guy

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the best part is when tony is in a coma and paulie is telling him a story anyway. and the story is so annoying and paulie is so annoying that it makes his heart rate skyrocket and the nurses all cone rushing in.

or when paulie throws a chair at a ghost.

but really, it's the best TV show of all time. the characters are all extremely complex and full of layers while also being total loving idiots and it's mostly hilarious.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the whole story where christopher makes the worst movie ever and finds out that he is completely incapable of dealing with the actual world outside his weird little insular existence is just excellent

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
why do I feel so bad for Christopher when he is such a stupid piece of poo poo all the time

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

I know I'm probably gonna border on hyperbole here, but The Sopranos made me think about myself and my own moral fallibility more than any bit of media I've probably ever consumed save for maybe The Brothers Karamazov. Tony Soprano is by all means an absolutely deplorable man. He's violent and depraved and has a near religious adherence to his own twisted code. So why are we compelled to cheer for him?

I'd say its probably a combination of the show's accurate depictions of generational trauma and borderline personality disorder, and Gandolfini's incredible performance. You understand Tony's past, so you understand and begin to empathize with his actions even when they are terrifying and misanthropic. Gandolfinis ability to evoke empathy for an actual monster is nothing less than profound.

I stopped cheering for him when he wrecked that poor cops (yea yea acab) life for puling him over for wreckless driving

Dude had to work at home depot

also Carmella is the most evil character in the show (hello i know your husband is in prison and your losing everything but check out new my porche cayenne)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

why do I feel so bad for Christopher when he is such a stupid piece of poo poo all the time

Because tony's an abusive manipulative oval office that used him and then disposed of him like a tissue, Chris was what Tony made him

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

When Carmela goes to the one therapy session, the therapist lays out everything about Carmela that there is to know. She does nothing about any of it, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVeLjj6Ao8

It's a great scene.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the way they act like they are high flying al capone figures is hilarious when most of them live in lovely little apartments except for Tony who lives in the ugliest mcmansion ever. He might as well own a few car dealerships or something.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Supreme Allah posted:

also Carmella is the most evil character in the show (hello i know your husband is in prison and your losing everything but check out new my porche cayenne)

Nobody in the show is morally clean except maybe Meadow, or Charmaine Bucco (The chef's waifu) or the psychologist who criticizes Melfi for her treatment of Tony.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

were gonna jack a truck fulla pokeyman cards

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mother loving god drat orange peel beef.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I remember that they bullied a guy for going down on a woman. What complete dweebs lol.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Out of all of the anti-hero dramas during that era, Sopranos was the best. I've watched it twice and it is incredible how many subtle details I missed on the first viewing which makes the show much more rewarding a second time. The Wire is a very, very close second place: It's smarter, but there are episodes where things are dragged out for way too long.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

easily one of the best tv shows ever

OP sucks

OP sucks?

ova heeeeeere

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

Out of all of the anti-hero dramas during that era, Sopranos was the best. I've watched it twice and it is incredible how many subtle details I missed on the first viewing which makes the show much more rewarding a second time. The Wire is a very, very close second place: It's smarter, but there are episodes where things are dragged out for way too long.

I think Deadwood is better than the Wire, its the other incredibly good show from that era

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think Deadwood is better than the Wire, its the other incredibly good show from that era

I haven't watched that one yet. That'll be next on the list.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Wire > Sopranos > Deadwood

but they're all amazing so that's not to take away from any of them and the pinnacle trifecta of television still to this day

Also Boardwalk Empire doesn't get talked about enough. BAR-NEY GOOGOOOOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhggggggg

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 24, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the first four seasons of the wire were brilliant but i dont know wtf they were thinking with that last one

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Season 5 was great too but the newspaper bit was definitely David Simon’s victory lap/guilty pleasure/self-aggrandizement but there’s still a lot of great Marlo/Michael/McNulty/Omar/Prop Joe to be had

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

AHH F/UGH posted:

The Wire > Sopranos > Deadwood

but they're all amazing so that's not to take away from any of them and the pinnacle trifecta of television still to this day

Also Boardwalk Empire doesn't get talked about enough. BAR-NEY GOOGOOOOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhggggggg

Boardwalk Empire is really really good

Also I liked Carnivale

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Boardwalk Empire is really really good

Also I liked Carnivale

I don’t need to rewatch Boardwalk Empire. I just watch the Richard Harrow Kills compilation on YouTube.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Season 5 was great too but the newspaper bit was definitely David Simon’s victory lap/guilty pleasure/self-aggrandizement but there’s still a lot of great Marlo/Michael/McNulty/Omar/Prop Joe to be had

i thought the mcnulty plot in that season got really dumb. the whole fake serial killer thing. just felt weird in a show like that

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Never watched The Sopranos. Didn't see the point after watching the definitive piece of media about the mafia, Steven Seagal's "Out For Justice."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2BUsH_VIew

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

RIP MATTY B AND SEANY G

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Little Stevens goofy mug ruins the sopranos

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My wife watched the whole thing earlier this year, I was occasionally in the same room. It seemed to be mostly about the health problems of overweight, aging men and occasionally someone got the poo poo beat out of them while a woman shrieked in the background.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

GolfHole posted:

RIP MATTY B AND SEANY G

The Bevalacua kid

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Show rules as a drama and its funnier than most comedies OP is a dumb fucken retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Also Oz was genuinely bad and stupid

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Supreme Allah posted:

I stopped cheering for him when he wrecked that poor cops (yea yea acab) life for puling him over for wreckless driving

Dude had to work at home depot

You misspelled “Olivia”

OH POOR YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Sopranos is one of the few shows that I've ever gone back and watched much later in life and liked it even better, especially after having more close experience with people with depression I really liked the exploration of like Tony's depression and what part of his behavior was learned/environmental vs like is he just genuinely a psychopath, is he redeemable, etc. I also loved how he's just a loving idiot. He's a fat lazy piece of poo poo who is where he is in life because he was simply willing to commit crimes more or less, although I guess he's smarter than the rock bottom loving idiots he works with. (This is actually an issue I have with the trailer for the new movie. They seem to be saying Tony is some genius legend. Did they watch the same show as me?)

It makes you think about like why we find ourselves rooting for Tony (he can be funny sometimes and seems to care about his kids but I mean he's obviously a really bad loving guy) and other aspects of like what the real american aspiration is that I'm not doing the best job articulating, but I feel like it's really good at having "deep" stuff you can think about but also just being insanely funny on the surface as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Frank Frank posted:

You misspelled “Olivia”

:same:

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I watched two full seasons and few episodes of season 3 and its fine, a little boring but fine. Not sure why people freak out over it when Six Feet Under was on the same channel at the same time and was actually really good.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i thought the mcnulty plot in that season got really dumb. the whole fake serial killer thing. just felt weird in a show like that

I thought it was fine, he was using the system to get what he wanted, the final culmination of how deep he would go to catch Marlo. He was pretty uncompromising in the start but eventually after being deadended so many times he just said gently caress it and didn't care if he lost his job. I really liked the whole Carcetti arc too so the way it played in with that was really fun. Season 5 is probably the weakest but it's still better than basically anything else ever put on TV.

runnypoops posted:

Also Oz was genuinely bad and stupid

It aged insanely bad. I'm not sure how many times I can hear that clicking-tapping conga soundtrack without going nuts.

That said, it did have one incredible line that I'll never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJBwsYwrBA&t=3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

I thought it was fine, he was using the system to get what he wanted, the final culmination of how deep he would go to catch Marlo. He was pretty uncompromising in the start but eventually after being deadended so many times he just said gently caress it and didn't care if he lost his job. I really liked the whole Carcetti arc too so the way it played in with that was really fun.

It aged insanely bad. I'm not sure how many times I can hear that clicking-tapping conga soundtrack without going nuts.

That said, it did have one incredible line that I'll never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJBwsYwrBA&t=3s

yeah honestly I loved the last season of Oz and how the big climax was a showing of Macbeth where someone might die!!!

I thought it was a good nod to like theater lore from the creator who is obviously a theater guy since the show seems more like a play a lot