Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Sopranos is one of the few shows that I've ever gone back and watched much later in life and liked it even better, especially after having more close experience with people with depression I really liked the exploration of like Tony's depression and what part of his behavior was learned/environmental vs like is he just genuinely a psychopath, is he redeemable, etc. I also loved how he's just a loving idiot. He's a fat lazy piece of poo poo who is where he is in life because he was simply willing to commit crimes more or less, although I guess he's smarter than the rock bottom loving idiots he works with. (This is actually an issue I have with the trailer for the new movie. They seem to be saying Tony is some genius legend. Did they watch the same show as me?)

It makes you think about like why we find ourselves rooting for Tony (he can be funny sometimes and seems to care about his kids but I mean he's obviously a really bad loving guy) and other aspects of like what the real american aspiration is that I'm not doing the best job articulating, but I feel like it's really good at having "deep" stuff you can think about but also just being insanely funny on the surface as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

I thought it was fine, he was using the system to get what he wanted, the final culmination of how deep he would go to catch Marlo. He was pretty uncompromising in the start but eventually after being deadended so many times he just said gently caress it and didn't care if he lost his job. I really liked the whole Carcetti arc too so the way it played in with that was really fun.

It aged insanely bad. I'm not sure how many times I can hear that clicking-tapping conga soundtrack without going nuts.

That said, it did have one incredible line that I'll never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJBwsYwrBA&t=3s

yeah honestly I loved the last season of Oz and how the big climax was a showing of Macbeth where someone might die!!!

I thought it was a good nod to like theater lore from the creator who is obviously a theater guy since the show seems more like a play a lot

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I started watching the show but I immediately wanted all the characters to be killed by law enforcement. It was like a show about a group of violent apes that figured out how to talk and use guns somehow. go ahead and hate me i don't care it's just a tv show

they're all meant to be stupid and bad you didn't misread anything

I think wanting them all to be locked up is a totally normal reaction but I think most people also find them weirdly charming or in some cases sadly aspirational and I think making you think about why those things might be or if you feel any of them yourself and why is one of the reasons the show was so good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I loved it every time Walter White killed somebody or pulled a fast one on law enforcement, pretty much only because he was a nerd. Is there a show about a group of murderous, evil, yet somehow charismatic nerds as the protagonists?

I think maybe Billions was supposed to be this but I found both leads to be just insanely annoying

I guess he also doesn't straight up murder anyone that I know of in the parts I saw

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

OHHH

ehyyy

ohhh

ey.

Dean Winters.

This guy should be in way more stuff, he should be in all the stuff (yes including me wise guy)

he's so good in Oz too honestly, just does not give a single gently caress about anyone. one of his very first scenes he comes into the kitchen that i think is run by like the puerto ricans maybe? and one guy is trying to menace him and he just says "yeah, whatever" and completely ignores him despite being this skinny little irish dude by himself and he's just a complete prick to everyone

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I like murders not rape.

there's that book "the secret history" where a bunch of really insufferable new england classics majors kill a homeless guy or something while trying to do a bacchanal

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i love when junior is in the fuckin mental facility at the end and he doesn't know what to write or something I can't remember what the scene is but the nurse goes "you could make a hand turkey" and he goes "for christmas? loving idiot" lmao

also I didn't even notice about the finale until my friend pointed it out, the guy who Tony is watching goes into the bathroom last we see of him. so it makes sense like as an homage to the godfather tony gets shot by a guy coming straight out of the bathroom to shoot him (by uh the director not the guy in-universe doing an homage to the godfather)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

actually meadow gunned them all down, every last one of them, she'd finally had enough, gently caress em! she said

honestly good for her, slay queen

get out of that toxic family

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the episodes also where they go up to the cabin together with bobby and janice and tony keeps humming "under the boardwalk" until bobby beats him up are so funny

one top moment too is when they are talking about how their grandparents all came to america illegally and then carmela realizes what she said and goes "it's different now though" and they all nod

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I remember the girl that AJ is friends with in the mental facility being super hot

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

Season 3 onward the editing gets really odd. Like for such a highly regarded show, the transitions and editing can be really confusing.

yeah early on the edits are really jarring, like someone will stop talking and within 500 ms it's already cut to the next scene I feel like

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the rape scene felt pretty gratuitous, it's never mentioned again after that episode, it's just "a real bad thing happens then gets worse and doesn't seem to be for any longer term thing"

I like this show a whole lot and I feel like that was one of the worse parts of it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah I've heard those explanations before I guess I just don't think it was worth it to have in the show in the way it was done

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
seems to just unfortunately reinforce my impression of the preview that the people making this movie do not seem to understand what made sopranos good which is odd since they were the ones that made it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
not for nothin tone but uhhh they're sayin the movie is uhh....well...look, some people, they got their opinions, gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
apparently a lot of people die on the toilet because having a heart attack can feel like really needing to take a poo poo sometimes

that's what I heard at least!!