Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Derpies posted:

If the thread titles can be horny why can't Nooner.

Free NOONER!

What is your opinion on the matter now that Nooner has snitched on ya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm supposed to be sleeping for night shift but I can't stop watching China vs USA.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Love those cross court shots from Jordan Thompson

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
Great game, but it seems like USA has some big weak points that could be blown open

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bullbar posted:

Love those cross court shots from Jordan Thompson

She’s playing great tonight. I had to step away for the second set but in the huddle at the overtime timeout in the first set you could hear Karch Kiraly basically say “set JT, and keep doing it until we score” and it fuckin worked lol. Her arm is a whip

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
5th set between Brazil and the Dominican Republic. Pretty exciting game.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

spamman posted:

5th set between Brazil and the Dominican Republic. Pretty exciting game.

Thanks for this pick! I just watched the 1st and 5th sets. Gabi :swoon:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What is your opinion on the matter now that Nooner has snitched on ya?

I thought it was funny and well played.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One amusing thing about women's beach volleyball and the time delay is noticing the awkward camera cuts the networks do to avoid showing the women slapping their teammate's butt when they make a good play.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Vakal posted:

One amusing thing about women's beach volleyball and the time delay is noticing the awkward camera cuts the networks do to avoid showing the women slapping their teammate's butt when they make a good play.

No respect for sportsmanship.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Agatha/Duda losing to the chinese team is kind of a surprise, if the brazilians do poorly in pool play and then pull it out for elimination games the brackets could end up looking pretty weird. A gold medal matchup happening the the quarterfinals would really suck.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Vakal posted:

is this the "not celebrating American values in the presentation of the Olympics" that Fox News is complaining about?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Starsfan posted:

is this the "not celebrating American values in the presentation of the Olympics" that Fox News is complaining about?

Pretty sure Fox News is evenly split on if female athlete's need to be sent to a gulag and forced into pioneer era puritan clothing or being forced to perform with tassels on depending on which demographic is watching that hour bloc.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Brazil vs Dominican Republic is being a real sweatfest hot drat

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Negostrike posted:

Brazil vs Dominican Republic is being a real sweatfest hot drat

Yeah looked like the sun was down too. Must be humid as hell but at least it wasn’t raining like yesterday

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Make them play at midnight for the time differential and for the heat

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Actually I meant the game was super tight, lol. But yeah, Tokyo gets crazy humid and it's no wonder there were some triathletes almost dying.

Brazil won but it was pretty close for the other team. Some crazy good defenses by both teams, very fun game to watch all in all.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Negostrike posted:

Actually I meant the game was super tight, lol. But yeah, Tokyo gets crazy humid and it's no wonder there were some triathletes almost dying.

Brazil won but it was pretty close for the other team. Some crazy good defenses by both teams, very fun game to watch all in all.

I got mixed up with the Duda/Agatha vs China beach game which was the literal sweat fest. So many dang games

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think Gibb and Bourne have something good going. However, Cherif on Qatar is a beast and they play Friday. That will definitely be worth checking out

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Just tuned in to the 4th set of USA vs TUN men’s game and the announcers have so far roasted Venezuela, Russia, Canada, Brazil, and Iran lol

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
VEN vs POL was fun because Venezuela played 2 bad sets, one very good set and then a bad set again. Truly, volleyball is a game of wonders

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've just tuned in to the first set of Brazil-ROC which is pretty close so far. Second time I've seen somebody break the barriers surrounding the court :v:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

u brexit ukip it posted:

I've just tuned in to the first set of Brazil-ROC which is pretty close so far. Second time I've seen somebody break the barriers surrounding the court :v:

Having both lost to ROC, I'm wondering if USA has a decent shot at beating Brazil on Friday.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sick block to end the CAN/SUI match

Pavan cursing out the swiss players caught on hot mic at 106:30 on the NBC feed

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Sick block to end the CAN/SUI match

Pavan cursing out the swiss players caught on hot mic at 106:30 on the NBC feed

Wait what I missed that part.

Sarah and Mel (CAN1) have finished their pool play undefeated.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

Wait what I missed that part.

Sarah and Mel (CAN1) have finished their pool play undefeated.

It was in private to Mel but they were on mic after the game. I heard "loving psychopath," "are you loving kidding me," and "get a loving life," apparantly in response to the swiss blocker having challenged all of those calls and growling through the net at Sarah

Does 3 games each seem like a really small amount of time to sort out the teams? Especially for what I'm guessing are single-elimination playoffs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This morning's women's game China-ROC is pretty fun so far, just finished watching the 2nd set.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

It was in private to Mel but they were on mic after the game. I heard "loving psychopath," "are you loving kidding me," and "get a loving life," apparantly in response to the swiss blocker having challenged all of those calls and growling through the net at Sarah

Does 3 games each seem like a really small amount of time to sort out the teams? Especially for what I'm guessing are single-elimination playoffs

That's the format they've used for a while, only the 4th place team in each pool and a few of the 3rd place teams get eliminated before the round of 16 so it's still pretty easy to come back from a mixed performance in pool play. Most of the world tour events used a new format where each 4 team pool played a little bracket (one initial game, then the winners and losers play). It saves one game and is a little clearer than the round-robin format where you can end up with ties that have to be broken by points and sets ratios.

Speaking of which, it looks like the new dutch team of Stam/Schoon is staying alive and Borger/Sude are out. They probably would have made it further if they had been in one of the easier pools, but being in a pool with CAN1 and SUI1 isn't easy.

Also Perusic played last night? Is he done with quarantine already or something?

EDIT: I guess it's been 2 weeks already?

quote:

After forfeiting their opening match in their pool, Perusic and Schweiner were finally released from quarantine to make their debut appearance on the Olympic sand. Despite having had time for just one practice, the Czechs were able to come back from a set down against young Mexican fighters Josue Gaxiola and Jose Luis Rubio to emerge victorious with a 2-1 (17-21, 21-16, 16-14) win.

“It’s really tough to describe this emotion. It’s something amazing! After the last two weeks, we literally didn’t know what to expect, because we didn’t spend much time together. We’re super excited to even play and the fact that we won is even more amazing. The Mexican guys are a really strong team and we had some respect before the match. We were a bit lucky with the weather. It was not that hot and the wind helped us a bit too,” Perusic told Volleyball World. “The last two weeks were, of course, really tough, but just the fact that we qualified for the Olympics is already something unbelievable for us and we consider it a success.”

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Turkey vs USA women's game was pretty close. Karakurt is a very talented server and hitter but also emotionally chaotic and she should never be allowed near a second touch because her sets were disastrous.

DuckConference posted:

That's the format they've used for a while, only the 4th place team in each pool and a few of the 3rd place teams get eliminated before the round of 16 so it's still pretty easy to come back from a mixed performance in pool play. Most of the world tour events used a new format where each 4 team pool played a little bracket (one initial game, then the winners and losers play). It saves one game and is a little clearer than the round-robin format where you can end up with ties that have to be broken by points and sets ratios.

Good info thanks. Like I mentioned in the OP, it's hard to watch pool play for a lot of tournaments because often it's "Court 1 Livestream" hidden on youtube with no titles, commentator, or camera angles

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I generally just follow the results and schedule on the FIVB site: https://en.volleyballworld.com/beachvolleyball/competitions/olympics-2020/schedule/#2021-07-29

EDIT: Finally read up on how the "lucky loser" matches work:

quote:

The first two (2) ranked teams from each pool, and the best two (2) teams that rank third (3rd) in their respective pools, will advance automatically to the final phase.

The four (4) remaining third (3rd)-ranked teams in each pool will play a two (2)-match lucky loser round; the two (2) winning teams in the lucky loser round will also qualify for the final phase, making a total of 16 teams.

For the cross-pool comparisons, I think teams are ranked by the "pool points" (wins/losses), then by sets ratio, then by points ratio.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 29, 2021

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The dutch take the first set vs. April and Alix. A win by the dutch would be a huge upset but wouldn't necessarily get them out of the pool.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the dutch outright collapsed in the third set

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

This USA vs BRA men’s game could be a long battle. Catch this one live if you can! It’s tied 17-17 in the first set

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This USA vs BRA men’s game could be a long battle. Catch this one live if you can! It’s tied 17-17 in the first set

brazil is up 24 to 23 now in the first set after one of the us men just served it into the net

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lol they just did it again

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Missed serves are super common in men's volleyball. 80-90% of the time a good 1st pass means the receiving team will win the point, so they need to serve as hard as possible, sometimes aiming for the corners or the back line

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yo, this set slaps!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

some perv at OBS just did a very long shot of volleyball men feet

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wow. Straight punched the ball to end that set. What fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

You can challenge in the middle of a play indoors? TIL