Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DuckConference posted:

You can look at some AVP matches to see what the players wear when they can more freely choose.

Agreed; the fashions displayed by both the Aliens and the Predators this year have been a breath of fresh air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
They have 4 different uniform options, so teams could wear shorts or knee length leggings if they wanted to.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bullbar posted:

It is buck wild to me that womens beach volleyball players still have to wear bikini bottoms

They don't have too. They have a choice of uniform styles. Most pick the bikini as it's more practical. Less sand gets in a bikini and I'm sure it's cooler...

2016 for example, had the Egypt women playing in their Hijab.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I was expecting a little more excitement in those medal matches but AUS and LAT looked absolutely gassed. They both had low morale by the middle of their first sets.

The Swiss were celebrating harder than April and Alix lol. Stay humble

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
A highlight of today's match was seeing the abject disappointment on the face of the Serbian coach

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Praying for the astroturfed Qatar team to beat Latvia so they don't get sent to the Doha glue factory

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Praying for the astroturfed Qatar team to beat Latvia so they don't get sent to the Doha glue factory

Poor Latvia. Two 4th places is heartbreaking.

Hopefully they still get the full orchestra treatment at the airport like when they qualified.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They don't have too. They have a choice of uniform styles. Most pick the bikini as it's more practical. Less sand gets in a bikini and I'm sure it's cooler...

2016 for example, had the Egypt women playing in their Hijab.

Apparently not exactly an open choice. MHP has a a YouTube video where she talked about a time where her and Sarah accidentally wore opposite-coloured bottoms (the athletes have to match). They asked if they could just keep their leggings on, but the officials said that they weren’t allowed to because it wasn’t cold enough or something.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

Poor Latvia. Two 4th places is heartbreaking.

Hopefully they still get the full orchestra treatment at the airport like when they qualified.

I wished Graudina/kravcenoka had won because gently caress the Swiss, but they are so young they can only come back better in 2024. But I was so happy for the Qatar boys when they won. They supposedly get a big payout from their country and Cherif was weeping uncontrollably. It’s also funny that they’re openly mercenaries for a shithead oil country

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

DuckConference posted:

Apparently not exactly an open choice. MHP has a a YouTube video where she talked about a time where her and Sarah accidentally wore opposite-coloured bottoms (the athletes have to match). They asked if they could just keep their leggings on, but the officials said that they weren’t allowed to because it wasn’t cold enough or something.

Those are two different things. They have a free choice between bikini bottoms and shorts, and if it's cold, they can wear leggings underneath.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Reminder that the indoor men's final has started, France v ROC.

e: sweet jesus what a game, definitely watch this in full if you can

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 7, 2021

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

france-russia* going to a fifth set

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What a match

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Brizard truly mvp

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wow no medal for either Brazil or Poland. Russia and Brazil both lost their medal matches after some weird double subs in the 5th set, Brazil taking out Wallace and Bruno. Not sure which was more unexpected: France's gold or Argentina's bronze. Both teams absolutely earned theirs

Volleyball ends tonight with the USA vs Brazil women's match!! USA is the favorite but they've had some injuries and, as we've learned, FIVB rankings and pool play records don't guarantee anything

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

was the Brazil/Argentina bronze match good? I missed it but I might have to watch the replay

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

was the Brazil/Argentina bronze match good? I missed it but I might have to watch the replay

I watched the highlight reel on NBColympics, then watched the full 5th set replay because I noticed Brazil's lineup was different towards the end. I think either one is worth a look.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh wow, Brazil's not really keeping up with USA right now. :ohdear:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like USA can do it in 3

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, BR just can't focus anymore. US just missed a serve and just teehee'd like no big deal.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Getting tired of brazil.midi

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Crap match. US did play way better, Brazil just broken mentally in the end, but silver medal is already great for an underdog. Congrats to both teams.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Serbia vs Korea was even more of a stomp. No idea how Korea worked their way past the round of 16

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Volleyball is good and that's a good win and it's been a good tournament.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rick posted:

Volleyball is good and that's a good win and it's been a good tournament.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Looks like USA can do it in 3

a totally fair assessment: such a loving wipeout. the USA ladies imposed themselves and played really well and was completely deserved

what got me a bit pissed off is that Brazil could have played much better (we are among the top flight teams ffs), but in some sports we absolutely poo poo ourselves against americans and volleyball is one of those; I am fairly goddamn sure we would have put far more of a fight if we took on any other big team such as China, Italy, Russia but put some stars and stripes in the other side and oooooh boy

(it is also downright disheartening how goddamned mediocre our sports journalism/commentary is in such situations, trying to minimize how awful we were in this match because of "general context", can't just shake off the absolutely atrocious underdog syndrome. Go demand better conditions for our players, better pay and training programs instead of "look how much they can do with so little" bullshit)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I really don’t want to buy Peacock to watch the Manhattan Beach tournament but it’s looking more and more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Reminder that the indoor men's final has started, France v ROC.

e: sweet jesus what a game, definitely watch this in full if you can

I watched this. It was great when one of the players got reprimanded for back-sassing the ref (in that instance the ref was right), then France issued a challenge on a tricky call where the ball was in because it bounced off a player's foot and won, and the camera cut to that player getting a ribbing from his team mates. It was a very close game. In the fifth set, they started playing Overture of 1812 because Russia was winning at first. France won after a very close game, and it ended with the French team doing the can-can while the can-can music played.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 2, 2021