Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wheel of Time has a lot of fat to trim, but even after doing that you are left with a huge amount of story that can't realistically be told, because it would take too long and cost too much.
So I am a little nervous about what we will be getting, but I hope it will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I feared the worst, but this looks really good I think.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season will mostly be the first book, but also some things from book 2 and 3. But parts of book 1 will also appear in later seasons.
So it sounds like they are mostly doing a season per book, but going through the books fast, and moving plot points around.

I think everyone who loves the books can agree that some trimming wouldn’t hurt the story, and if the show sucks it’s not like the books will change.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As long as they cut Faile from the show I will be happy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just want to hear how Nynaeve is pronounced.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That looks pretty darn good

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I was very happy with the first three episodes. It definetely felt like Wheel of Time, just sped up.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Intruder posted:

I always kind of pictured the gleeman cloak as being actually sewn together patchwork of color, not just some drab coat with an inner lining of patches. That was kind of disappointing

So did I, but I also imagined Thom to be 20 years older so I figured I was just reading it wrong.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Withnail posted:

I don't know what to think about Brandon Sanderson. He writes a -lot-, and every once in awhile he writes a really good book (Way of Kings), but most of the rest is kind of poo poo. He's the fantasy book writer infinite monkey theorem.

I couldn't disagree more, I have yet to read any books of his that is less than good, and most often they are very good to great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Given how many big budget shows spend their first season just meandering, and showing no real interest in telling a story, I am happy that Wheel of Time isn’t one of them.
I hope season two gets more episodes, but if not I’m fine with this.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The white cloaks are a bunch of pompous fools who think that they alone can stand against the forces of darkness, and who will kill anyone who disagrees with their extreme views.
They are 100% the kind of people who would dress and look like the ones we see on the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's one thing to murder people so you can steal their money and valuables, but I figure you have to be a certain kind of evil in order to go to the trouble of tracking down, and murdering people you know don't own anything.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

AngryBooch posted:

So did my boy Mat pick up a cursed sentient dagger and fail his will save or what? Has he actually channeled anything and I'm forgetting?

I don't think the viewers are meant to know what is going on with Mat, but something strange certainly is happening. He could be channelling, but I suspect we will know something next episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t really understand the problem, nobody is spoiling anything and it’s perfectly normal for new viewers to interact with people who already know a property. What is there to be angry about?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the guy playing Mat too, but to be fair his character is also the one that has the most to work with in the first book. Perrin and Rand take a little longer to develop.

I have no problem with Loial being shorter since this is a tv budget, but I don't understand that hair and beard, it looks out of place.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Uno is going to be so good!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My favorite thing about this show, is learning every week that I have been saying all the names of these characters wrong for decades.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first book has already been cut down to the bone, cut much more and the show will start to be nothing like the books, and in that case why call it Wheel of Time?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's too bad that we lost the technology to make 20+ episode seasons.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought this was the weakest episode, mostly because it seemed like they just ran out of money after that opening scene, and we were left with some grungy looking cgi, and a bunch of stuff from the books that was probably cut due to being too expensive.

Overall I thought the first season was good, and the show did a good job given the lack of resources. But I’m also a believer in not adapting something for tv if you can’t do it justice. And if they are already cutting corners now, then I hate to think what will happen later on now that the warmup book is done.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it should be treated like any normal tv thread, post any relevant news and discussion here, avoid spoilers.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m still a little worried about how they will handle the story going on, but ultimately I liked the first season, and it’s good to know that Amazon has enough faith in them to already renew it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Honestly, I like Rings of Power more so far than Wheel of Time. RoP has a much bigger budget and is working on a basic enough story that they can do what they want.

WoT was hurt by covid and other stuff, so I can accept the faults of the first season. But things are only going to get bigger from now on, and the show will have to seriously step up.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think something was definitely lost by going to shorter seasons, especially since the main reason for doing so was to have less filler, and for a lot of big prestige shows it has instead meant that filler just takes up a proportionally larger part of the season.
But TV has also changed a lot in the last decade, there are plenty of shows that still do a yearly schedule, but I am not sure if it's actually possible to do it with these expensive shows.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I don't get why people are so down on the Wheel of Time showrunners. In my opinion, everything I've heard from interviews points that they had a strong vision for the season, but were really hampered by the runtime, studio interference, COVID, and the Mat actor leaving. For example, the worst part of the season to me was the cold open in the pilot, and that was something Amazon forced since they wanted an action scene as the open. If I'm not mistaken, the original pilot script was very different (and like 2 hours long).

I look forward to season 2, i'm just worried about how they are going to do subsequent books when everything is going to get a lot more expensive and complicated from each season on. Hopefully, Amazon is less strict from now on so that the showrunners can do their best.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pan Dulce posted:

Just caught up and watched the entire span of Wheel of Time in two days. My GOD, what a great show! Makes me tempted to read the book series, but I've heard great and not-so-great things about it, so I think I'll stick to just watching the show and be surprised at the events.

I will say, apart from some things that are quintessential "fantasy written by a man in the past" things (hinting the Dragon will have three wives), it's pretty good and progressive. I don't know if it was casting or part of the book descriptors, but having the antagonists (the peddler of lanterns and the main Whitecloak) be dark-skinned against the lighter-skinned folks is kinda lame. Other than that, really good show!

Also, anyone heard of the acting prowess of who they got to replace the original actor for Mat? I liked S1 Mat. Kinda bummed he's leaving the show.

The Wheel of Time books are great, they have some flaws, and they are very long, but they are worth a read. If you enjoy the upcoming season two I would recommend giving the first book a shot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s not really that bad. Jordan had his woman/man tropes that were a little silly even at the time it was published. But apart from an endless amount of skirt smoothing and braid tugging, the series holds up very well, albeit it gets a little slow in some of the middle books.

The tv show dealt with those tropes very well, but what you see on tv is also the very short, budget friendly version of the first book.
It’s going to get increasingly harder to adapt from now on, unless Amazon loosens the pursestrings

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it's hard to judge because the show was apparently impacted hard by covid restrictions, and what we saw was not what was planned.
But it's only going to be a lot harder and more expensive from now on, and I worry that the show doesn't have the time and budget to pull it off. I'm also concerned about how long it is taking season 2 to come out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Shageletic posted:

Like ppl are trying to tell me to watch Shadow and Bone because there's apparently some off shoot peripheral characters that are interesting? Like that's enough now for a try?

Some parts of Shadow and Bone are better than others, and during season two especially the gap between the two groups of characters becomes major. But even the weak parts were fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A thin innkeeper is like a thin chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's obvious that Rafe and the team really care about the books, I just hope they are allowed to show that in the second season.