Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

if it helps, the series definitely starts out with a tiny bit of lord of the rings influence that can be clearly seen but it very rapidly starts moving way past that once you get out of first book territory. it's definitely it's own beast once you get into the meat of it.

Yeah, Jordan said in interviews that that was deliberate -- he wanted it to feel familiar to people who'd read Tolkien, before he started getting weird with it. Remember this was written late 80's, so a *very* different media atmosphere than we have today. Fantasy was still very much outside the mainstream.

Ccs posted:

Big fan of fantasy books but I tend towards the newer stuff by Abercrombie and Parker that followed Game of Thrones getting published rather than the old "Farmboy will save the world and there's a Gandalf analogue" type story. But a high budget fantasy adaption is rare so I'll probably check out the first few episodes of this. The best fantasy adaption I've seen is BBC "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" series but that was just for one book.

No no no! Gandalf is a woman this time! It's totally different!

(But seriously, I mean, at the time, that was a big deal! Which tells us a lot about the state of the genre in the late eighties and early nineties!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

please add to OP

Data Graham posted:

My glib boil-down of the whole thing is usually like “oh so you say LotR has no women in it? Well have a story with ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORRRLLLD hahaha”

If you want a Smarty Pants hot take on the whole series, a good one is "In the same way that the Lord of the Rings was an English soldier's response to the experience of World War 1, the Wheel of Time is an American soldier's response to Vietnam."

It's an overblown comparison but there's enough merit to it to start people arguing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, I can't find any real info outside of 6 episode titles for season 1, with two unnamed. And based on cast lists they're combining stuff from books 1 and 2 but also leaving out some characters. So I guess we'll have to wafo (watch and find out)

Yeah, the current guess seems to be that season one is mostly Eye with probably the Fal Dara parts of The Great Hunt mixed in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah Bezos apparently has a personal interest in capturing the "next game of thrones" and these are his plays towards that end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Jordan had apparently written more background material than pages in the main storyline (that's why it all took so long). There were something like ten thousand pages of notes. He apparently wrote out a little biography / character sheet type thing for each individual Aes Sedai in the Tower.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/ST00LI/status/1433586146597085190?s=20

I mean, fair. I think people are just used to fantasy being grimdark. Wheel of Time predates that trend, so this is appropriate coloring etc.

Plus the real answer is that wheel of time should be an anime anyway but if they're gonna do live action it might as well be colorful live action

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
petition to rename thread "Jeff Bezos Presents: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Prime"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Affi posted:

So ep 1 is the emonds field arch? 2 I'd say is shadar logoth and that leaves 3 as caemlyn? 4 fal dara ?

Its either four episodes for the first book, four for the second, with some cutscenes back and forth, or it's mostly the first book, with some scenes from 2 and 3 mixed in. We know they're skipping Caemlyn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mage_Boy posted:

I haven't played it in a long time but it was interesting. It was a weird FPS with a lot of the WoT universe trappings around. Supposedly the multi-player was unique and very good but I never got to play it.

The multi-player was *great*. All the powers functioned with a slight delay and there were lots of counters so it functioned like a magic the gathering fps.

Only thing you couldn't counter was balefire but early 2000s net code made balefire " dangerous and almost impossible to control"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

latinotwink1997 posted:

Theoretical question, can you balefire yourself?!

I think I recall managing it once or twice actually due to extreme lag -- shooting balefire and then running forward into the beam

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

:hmmyes:

I have the feeling I'm going to be a little lost in a lot of the WoT-on-Prime conversations, because I still haven't followed up on my friend's 2006-or-2007 recommendation of A Song of Ice and Fire. Everybody else is going to be comparing it to Game of Thrones.

Actually, now I'm curious: thread poll, how many other goons here haven't seen Game of Thrones?

After reading the books I decided I'd watch the whole sjow at once when it was all finished. I still haven't bothered to watch any of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheoryWheel/status/1436096419081900040?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1445826240749867009?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rarity posted:

That is not how I'd term the- wait it was only a 3 year wait for CoT what?

Jordan put out three books in the time it took Martin to publish one . . . Despite his own death.

Also it's a bit of a mischaracterization to say Sanderson wrote the last three books. Jordan seems to have written somewhere between a third and half of the last three books, but it was nonsequential -- he wasn't writing linearly, and Sanderson had to fill in gaps and finish rough drafts etc.

The main difference apart from work ethic seems to be that Jordan knew from the start how he wanted his series to end, and Martin didn't and still doesn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Robert Jordan was a loving beast of a writer. He wrote 12 books in 14 years totaling over 3 million words, two of them while literally dying.

There were also apparently thousands and thousands of pages of background notes. The movement of every Emondds fielder on winternight was mapped out. There is a biography writeup for every single aes sedai.etc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Nor did Jordan know from the start how he wanted his series to end. The Eye of the World was written as a standalone novel in case he didn't get to write more, but after that he was as bad as Martin for saying "it's a trilogy hexalogy there's just two three more books I promise". It wasn't until the debacle of books 8-10 that he really put his foot down and fixed the end in stone.

You're mostly correct here but also Jordan did at least have a basic idea of what he wanted the final scenes to be from the very beginning.

quote:

INTERVIEW: Nov, 1993
Trinity College Q&A (Paraphrased)
. .

ROBERT JORDAN
He still isn't sure how long WoT will go on for, saying probably seven books but adding that when The Eye of the World first came out he saw the series as four books. He does however know what the ending will be and how all the major story lines will resolve. He expressed vague dissatisfaction with the covers but didn't seem too upset about them.

quote:

INTERVIEW: Apr 5th, 1996
Balticon XXX - Bill Garrett (Paraphrased)
ROBERT JORDAN
Jordan's Writing Process

Jordan spoke a bit and answered a few questions about his writing process. He said that he originally thought the series would be three to four books. When he was negotiating a contract with Tom Doherty, he told Tom that he didn't know how long the series would be, but that he did know the ending. Jordan says that writers seldom get contracts under those circumstances, but Tom signed him one because he like Jordan's writing. The contract was for six books.

After Jordan wrote the first book, he increased his estimate to four to five books for the series. After the second, he thought it would be 5-6, then 7 or more, etc. Now he does not give any estimate of the length of the series and is upset that the jacket of Lord of Chaos suggested that the series would end with eight books. (Update: In an open letter sent courtesy of Tor Books, dated 19 May 1996, Jordan said that the series will comprise at least ten books.)

https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=ending

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Almost a month out, and there's been like nothing to even remotely explain the story line has there? Being a book-reader, I know, but when I tell my friends "ohhh here check out this teaser, it's going to be awesome!" it's just been "uhhh, what is it about?" Seems odd we're so close and there hasn't been a proper trailer unless I missed something outside the teaser and the 200 title posters.

Amazon apparently has a current marketing strategy of not doing heavy marketing until, like, the absolute last minute, then blitzkreiging every available advertising market with a flood of last minute advertising to create buzz. That's basically starting, like, today, with the comic-con panel.

Past that, they're apparently leaning really hard into Moiraine as the main character for the first season at least, with a female empowerment angle in the marketing, so that's part of it too probably. This isn't just another generic farmboy fantasy, it's about Magic Women Who Protect the World, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Having a dozen chimneys means that there are a dozen fireplaces. After you take away the kitchen, the main room and the rooms where the al'Veres live, there are perhaps half a dozen rooms for guests. So it's probably about as big as this pub:

With two storeys, a dozen chimneys would mean two dozen fireplaces. More, possibly. If the chimneys go up through the middle you'd have a fireplace on each side; A house with two chimneys and two storeys can have four fireplaces on each floor.

It must be a genuinely large building. Probably lots of excess capacity to house all the merchants who come in from off when the tabac is harvested.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 9, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Comic-con panel is online here:

https://www.findthemetaverse.com/fi...6hGwVsA4uWl3YeU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Basically I think books 7-10 might be at most 2 seasons worth of TV and depending on what they trim might be a single season if they move quickly. There is a lot going on that is just dragged out that could be really condensed imo.

If they're smart it'll be

season 1: book 1 mostly

season 2: book 2, maybe also book 3 depending on how much you condense and if you can use falme as a "mid season finale" type thing

season 3: book 4

season 4: book 5

Season 5: books 6 (combine 5 and 6 here if season 3 was book 3)

Season 6: book 7, 8, 9

season 7: book 11, 12

season 8: book 13, 14

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1449049263132925958?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

It's loving crazy. I've been reading the books since 6th grade in the 90s. just surreal.

I felt kinda the same way when the Lord of the Rings movies came out but that was different because there was always going to be a Lord of the Rings movie eventually, and people knew the Lord of the Rings *existed* .

This is different, more personal somehow. Everyone knew about Lord of the RIngs when I was a kid; there was Rankin-Bass Hobbit on television, etc.

Wheel of Time? Not so much. Wheel of Time is something I spent decades reading and mostly reading by myself.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

wheel of time is odd in that there's an absolutely insane fanbase that exists to the point where a dedicated entire track for it existed at dragoncon for years until they split off into their own separate event in atlanta as well but also at the same time it's not that much of a household name other than maybe the occasional joke about 'long book series lol' mostly from those who haven't read it. it started in the 90's so it hasn't had the headstart that something like lord of the rings did, but i feel like it was probably inevitable we'd get something adapting it that wasn't just someone squatting on the rights or, like, a weird and ancient fps game that's only tangentially related.

it's kind of surreal to see it have so much backing behind it, but ultimately they definitely picked a powerhouse to dump their money into if they're willing to follow through. it's getting a lot of comparisons to game of thrones in terms of the whole tv show aspect but at the very least this series is actually complete.

Game of Thrones I understood why it got big on HBO at least because HBO's formula was Tits and Drama so Tits and Drama and Dragons fit perfectly.

Wheel of Time though? It's not even R, it's like PG-13 at best. I thought HBO would never touch it because of the lack of incest and rape, and who else would be willing to dump the tens of millions such a show would need?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Amazon has a new interactive page up for the show. There's a map!

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Season-1/dp/B09F59CZ7R

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know you're just lazy trolling but if you check the OP I did point out that the series unfortunately relies on gender essentialism in a heavy way and we're hoping the show runner and writers can provide a less 90s take on gender issues.

The show already seems to be doing that. The biggest change we've seen in the promos is that Moiraine considers it possible that Egwene might be the Dragon, which means souls can switch genders on rebirth, which right there already is opening things up dramatically. I expect we'll see a lot more in that vein, which is great.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 26, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gwaihir posted:

It would be cool if lazy trolling to prompt spoilers everywhere was kept out of the TV thread imo.

d'oh sorry I thought it would be kosher since I was just referring to the promotional materials for the show. Tagged 'em.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1453036948595957761?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Simone Magus posted:

i hope there are many WoT smilies made from this show

I got curious and at least Amazon isn't skimping the marketing budget:

https://www.marketingdive.com/ex/mobilemarketer/cms/news/messaging/22215.html#:~:text=Twitter%3F,on%20measurement%20before%20diving%20in.

It looks like to get branded emojis, twitter makes you buy at least a million bucks worth of adverts.

There's also, oddly, an advertisement for a new fancy sofa that features a wheel of time promo:

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/1453051833144864769?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

I guess I will have to read/listen to the books.

There is also a spoiler thread for book readers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

Yeah I know, I have no issues with spoilers. The line came from the trailer for the show and just reeked of Galadriel. It irked me.

Point being, post your question in the book thread and people will discuss and answer it. The line is a quote from the books. It does have big Galadriel vibes but in this case it's the LotR film writers cribbing slightly from WoT.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 27, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

have the lotr writers said this?

It's one of those [img-timeline] things

This is the quote from Fellowship of the Ring, published 1954:

quote:

And there in the dark pools amid the Gladden Fields,’ he (Gandalf) said, ‘the Ring passed out of knowledge and legend; and even so much of its history is known now only to a few, and the Council of the Wise could discover no more.

Galadriel in the opening crawl of Fellowship, 2000 AD:

quote:

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge
(emphasis added)

This is the quote from the beginning of literally every single wheel of time book, beginning in 1990 and first hitting NYT bestseller in 1991:

quote:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
reddit thread with some datamined images from the Amazon site -- may constitute "spoilers" in a sense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoTshow/comments/qgtxtn/some_more_images_i_found_on_the_amazon_wot_site/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Rafe Judkins doing a detailed breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
New character posters:

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1454072645830381576

edit: moved a spoiler to the book thread

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 29, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Amazon's already approved Season 2, so, yay. I have no idea what scale of success Amazon would desire for a show like this, but my guess is it's probably more about overseas markets like India, China, Africa, etc. than it is America. Everyone in America already has Prime.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, in a sense GoT pulled a Lost -- pull a bunch of crazy poo poo that makes audiences go "how will they ever resolve this?" and the secret is they won't resolve it it'll all just collapse at some point, preferably many millions of dollars down the line.

WoT *could* get fairly big nevertheless. I just have no idea what metrics Amazon Prime uses to evaluate success.

From google:

quote:

Amazon has an interesting approach to measure the success of their (myriad) TV shows.

The metric is called “cost per first stream“.

Reuters revealed the detail behind its meaning and implementation. In short, the cost per first stream is the price (cost) to “hook” a customer on Prime (which requires a paid yearly membership to access).

Per the article, “Amazon divides a show’s production and marketing expenses by the number of people who stream that program first after signing up.” The lower the number, the better the rating — and the better the likelihood the who would get renewed for another season.

You can read more about that on Reuters: Amazon’s internal numbers on Prime Video, revealed.

This so-called secret math attempts to determine why someone paid for a Prime membership, but figuring out what they first streamed after joining. This, goes the logic, must be why that particular customer paid for Prime. To see the very first show that person streams.

So this show has a very high cost, the question is just how many people will subscribe to Prime just to watch it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

i mean, the witcher did extremely well, it's not like wot is the first prestige fantasy since got

Yeah, I think there's also been a fundamental shift in the viewing base over the past decade or two. People in their twenties and thirties today had their first formative experiences seeing Lord of the Rings in the theater and reading Harry Potter and so forth. We're post-LotR, post GoT, even post Twilight, Witcher is mainstream, etc. Fantasy is normal now. I think people need less "permission" to jump on board today than they would have even five or ten years ago.

The shows' success probably doesn't depend on us though. The question will be how many people in Europe and India and overseas sign up for Amazon then watch this first.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

th3t00t posted:

WoT has everything it needs to be the next big franchise. The only question is if they can execute on the adaption.

Honestly I think it's gonna be more a question of marketing than anything else. The adaptation so far seems competent, there's plenty of solid source material, just a matter of how many people they can get to click and go "oh that looks neat guess i'll sign up for prime for a month to watch it"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

th3t00t posted:

"? There's some serious mental dissonance going on for someone to say they don't like fantasy, yet they like all of the popular fantasy franchises.

Serious cognitive dissonance is the normal state for most Americans, but I think this generally tracks with the people who would've said "I don't like that nerd poo poo" before lotr, Harry Potter, etc. became mainstream.

They'll like this series if the production values are high enough and everyone is sufficiently hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/SharonTalYguado/status/1455920489159741447?s=20