Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Jordan said in interviews that that was deliberate -- he wanted it to feel familiar to people who'd read Tolkien, before he started getting weird with it. Remember this was written late 80's, so a *very* different media atmosphere than we have today. Fantasy was still very much outside the mainstream.

No no no! Gandalf is a woman this time! It's totally different!

(But seriously, I mean, at the time, that was a big deal! Which tells us a lot about the state of the genre in the late eighties and early nineties!)

My glib boil-down of the whole thing is usually like “oh so you say LotR has no women in it? Well have a story with ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORRRLLLD hahaha”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really looking forward to the WoT-head in my life, the one who claims to have visited Jordan at his house and was at his deathbed and was imparted special knowledge about WoT that nobody else knows, even his wife, and who I just unloaded all his luggage after a cross-country move and a heron-marked sword fell out,

the one who insists, per RJ's own mouth, that Aviendha is pronounced "EH-vee-end-ha",

to go into a rage when the TV show pronounces it the way the glossary says

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoT has like three completely unrelated Huans as I recall.

It’s one of those fiction things, where for some reason it just seems confusing and implausible to have multiple characters with the same name, and most books bend over backward to avoid it, but it happens in real life all the time

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 12, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to be sure that the TV show aptly portrays every one of the 5,262 innkeepers we encounter as "bustling".

o poo poo is that a spoiler

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Some of the Forsakens maybe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then BSG was all like "All this has happened before, all this will happen again"

By this time it's a fuckin checkbox trope.

e: Also Babylon 5 with its "ages" and all the LotR parallels, but then those were 100% intentional so I don't think it really counts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of hilarious that people will be coming off GoT which is full of dragons, and going to WoT which is constantly talking about Dragons but has no actual dragons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm here for the show being broadly described as "feminist fantasy"

That's going to make certain people dismiss it right out of hand

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still maintain that a lot of what spurred Jordan was the fact that LotR has like no women, so he saw a wide open opportunity in the market for a story with ALL THE WOMEN.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

honestly a very weird first post in the thread lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIx-wmOU8GI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Needle architects: lmao I wish

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol only 6 years late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFhZZ7emg4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At the end you can see it's all just a single flat (well, curved) screen and the building is part of the image.

But it must only look right from a certain angle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a strange, stupid article

"SOME GIZMO is coming out, idk it's probably gonna suck"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd love to know whether these were "we should have an explosion here, and also can we put a hobbit in it?" notes or "Um excuse me you'll find that in TSR pp.622-625 it clearly states that Miernmninrm became Accepted into the Green Ajah not Yellow" notes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everything he says here is true of the books too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did the Greeks use nuln oil

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I often think about when I first saw Fellowship of the Ring, with great trepidation as a lifelong Tolkien nerd terrified that it would be awful or, worse, be "fine" but completely screw up the characterizations.

Then one of the first lines is Gandalf glowering archly and going: "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

And then his serious face that he's trying so hard to maintain wobbles and breaks and they leap at each other laughing, and I said to myself, "OK, everything's gonna be fine."

It's a line that appears nowhere in the text but it's dead-on for him and introduces the character perfectly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hexel posted:

Midnight GMT has been the assumption which turns out to be 7pm EST this evening. Dozens have reached out to amazon CSR's and asked this and one will say: yes, midnight GMT and another has said: No, we don't know, it's up to the content creator so :shrug:

I'm gonna start refreshing at 7pm EST this evening.

I would think it's more up to the content dark one, in this timeline

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A few bullet points:

- The theme song is the instrumental bridge from Separate Ways, lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

- Also a hearty lol at the clip of the campfire reversing itself when Perrin is looking at it near the beginning of Ep.2. Did they not shoot more than 2 seconds of it and they had no better way to lengthen that shot?

- I want to pee on the head of whoever wrote “even the Trollocs won’t STEP FOOT behind that wall"

- Wool and sheepherder everything but there's not a sheep to be seen :wtf:

- Nynaeve whipping her braid out of the way after killing the Trolloc in Ep.3; is that their nod to braid-tugging? Sure felt like it and it seems like a good take on it (especially since her hair isn't really even one single braid like Egwene's is)

- Tam has this nugget of wisdom he gives to Rand like “All we have to do is decide what to do with the life that is given to us” like he was directly quoting Gandalf

- Similarly, Valda eating the bird felt like they were like "Ok so you know that Denethor tomato scene? You know what to do"

- That crossfade between Dana’s blood in the puddle and the line of trees on the cliff, WTF where did that poo poo come from lol, either you do lots of "clever"/"artsy" scene wipes or don't do any, don't just throw one in on a whim when you've established for three episodes that your wipes don't work like that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I find really interesting about the pacing is that the episodic nature of the show is really driving home how many different kinds of ideas there are in this universe of who the "bad guys" are. It's like, each episode you get a whole new concept of who the gang are supposed to be afraid of.

Episode 1: ok so there's orcs and Nazgûl, I assume they're probably serving some Sauron-type Dark Lord, nothing really new here but I can dig it

Episode 2: So there's the Klan in this universe who are chasing the maybe-good-maybe-evil wizard ladies, drat. Also there's a creepy haunted city that doesn't appear to be associated with the Trollocs at all and is in fact as dangerous to them as to the good guys. And what's up with these wolves

Episode 3: Wait so now there's literally Satanists?

Seems like it's going to keep happening too. At this rate we're still weeks out from even hearing the term Forsaken

Also not to spoil anything, but for all the non-book-reader types, if you think you've met even the majority of the main cast by now, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Interesting seeing how far they can push drone cinematography these days. The establishing shot of the Whitecloaks camp at the beginning of Ep.2 really did everything it could to show what you can do now that you don't need a helicopter for stuff like this. The overhead shots of the Bel Tine dance too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

navyjack posted:

Honestly the Whitecloaks are the biggest thing so far to trip my “aw this is fucken stupid” meter. I’m not looking forward to any Whitecloak-centric episodes.

Incredible avatar/post combo though

(god I laughed at that Comics SWAT way back when)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna lol if the Trollocs are these envelope-pushing CGI + practical effects creations, channeling is fantastic looking, the mountain landscapes are mind-numbingly beautiful, the costumes and dresses are dazzling enough to blind their opponents with luxury, and Loial is some extra with an orange clown wig

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cruzando los brazos bajo las tetas

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Other than that the gambling guy is pissing me off a bit. Just kind of a weaselly, corpse thieving, let you chop all the wood then show up expecting a place to sleep a-hole.

That's Mat all right

Non-book-readers: he's supposed to be "funny"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Incidentally I thought that during the scene where Moiraine is trying to snow her way past the Whitecloaks, she did a pretty convincing version of the ubiquitous "smile that did not reach her eyes"

Looked amiable but just a little bit stilted and insincere. If that was what she was going for, well done

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

Everyone on the internet seems to have loved that scene but it did not land for me at all.

Buncha woolheaded children singing their campfire song on a long journey after everything that just happened felt very weird to me. And then Moiraine goes all Info Dump on them about some city from hundreds/thousands of years ago like they would care about that after, again, everything that just happened to them.

I'm rather annoyed by the fantasy trope of "music that sounds like it was written by some fantasy culture" being equivalent to "sing English words but with the rhythm and scansion all hosed up".

Like they add in weird pauses and put emphasis on insignificant words like "the" and "of" just to make it sound alien. Even though it makes it feel really unnatural in a "humans just wouldn't do this" way and not at all the way you'd put together a simple campfire tune with some basic lyrics. I keep noticing this in everything from various LotR audiobooks to that Hitchhiker's Guide TV series where the Betelgeuse national anthem was just the star spangled banner except with the last note of each phrase shrieked up three octaves

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: Nynaeve pronunciation --

I finished the 8-hour drive back from Thanksgiving to find my roommate, the one who claims to have met Robert Jordan at his mansion and seen all his swords and artifacts and been told secret lore about the series on his deathbed and has a heron-marked sword among his prized possessions (and who keeps talking about getting dragon tattoos on his arms), watching the episode extremely loud in his room.

I heard Liandrin saying "Ni-knave", and my roommate immediately screamed "IT'S NINNY-AV!!!! YOU MOTHERFUCKERS"

And then he turned off the episode and started stomping around the house extremely drunk

(e: to be clear there is literally a pronunciation guide in the glossary which says "NIGH-neev"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The fact that the episode made a poke-the-audience-in-the-eye joke out of it (which he probably didn't even hear) is the funniest thing in the world to me, I will take the joy of this moment to my grave

Anyway I understand the Perrin's wife thing now, because they were setting up the "axe" comment with the Tinkers as being an integral part of their pacifist philosophy. It's all snapping into place

e: Also I love that they bang on pots to signal that they're about to move on. That wasn't even in the books that I can recall and it's a perfect detail to add.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 27, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's issue #1 that I thought about when I heard they were adapting WoT. Just trying to cast even a tenth of the named characters in the series would make it the most expensive show of all time by orders of magnitude

Jordan creating a new character: "Her name is idk, Jeanna" *throws on the enormous pile*

Judkin: "poo poo that's YET ANOTHER casting call and SAG contract and ffuuuuu"

Never mind extras even

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s no spoiler to say that an absolute fuckton of the books is explanation and exposition about how all this mechanics stuff works, and that obviously wouldn’t translate well to a show. The x-ray solution seems pretty sensible (or would be if it were more easily accessible)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

silvergoose posted:

I was specifically talking about Lord of the Rings and its movie, and thought that would be a fine thing to post here??

I think the question was more like “why is this thread not a non-book-readers-only zone, the other thread talks about the show too”

And my answer is “I have nothing better to do than follow two threads and compartmentalize my reactions”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or as if she had no reason to believe he'd ever be successful in breaking down the door!

Like that was the whole reason she was smug and calm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which they haven't really described in that much detail yet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Look all I'm saying is, if you think it's impossible to tell the story and also cut out all the descriptions of dresses and embroidery and the honor-shame implications of filling up ditches, I don't want to hear any more poo poo about how LotR is boring because of "landscapes"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The dagger contains potassium benzoate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still can't get over that there's a Madison Cawthorn in congress and he actually signs his name Cauthon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For that matter I could swear I knew of someone with the last name Cauthon when I was growing up. I seem to recall wanting to call him "cough on"

But I can't find any reference to that name online aside from Mat. So I can't tell whether Jordan fully made it up or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey a big part of getting way too into a TV show is convincing each other that we can tell individual writers' styles