Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The state of mainstream high fantasy when The Eye of the World was released was so direly formulaic that it was considered fresh for having the Gandalf analog be a woman. However, starting with cliché didn't keep the series from quickly developing its own distinctiveness and originality. There's plenty of good poo poo in the source material and I'm hopeful for a quality adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What does Dungeons & Dragons have to do with the writers' room on that other show?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who said fantasy means grime, anyway? I want to give that person a piece of my mind.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

~bathing~

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The books' extensive use of ironic interiority as a source of characterization is sure to have been one of the big challenges in this adaptation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Wheel of Tim

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Count me as one who is in favor of the funeral stuff. A memorable quality of the books was their willingness to focus on minor characters as a way of providing many different perspectives on things important to the main characters and main story.

I also like the tone achieved by frequently having characters who, y'know, care about each other.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wailing and rending garments in grief is awesome, by the way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

i feel like that people are trolling me when they praise that scene. it's the most cheesiest scene i remember ever seeing on tv

That's why it's good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ishamael posted:

But the real disappointment for me was the funeral scene. Seeing Lan screaming and beating his breast over the death of a minor friend/acquaintance felt like a huge misstep for his character.

I think that the implication is meant to be that he is not a minor friend/acquaintance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I have a passing familiarity with the books and just watched the first episode last night. Haven't watched all the other episodes yet and have a spoilery question. Does Loial show up ? I'm curious if they are going the cgi route with him or more practical effects. Saw the Mydraal and it looked like practical effects, but it was wearing a hood so I don't know what it looked like in motion. The Trollocs looked pretty, obvious cgi when they were running on all 4.

The answer to your question is: yes, and practical effects.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The implication is that they sold the horses before reaching the city. Mat is a horse trader.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They mention that the inn is expensive to establish that everything is more expensive in the city than out in the sticks, as part of a series of details that reinforce that they are in a place that is strange and unfamiliar to them, but they're making do. They're rural, not stupid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wait, hang on, what's the inconsistency again?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Rosemund Pike

Moiraine

twistedmentat posted:

Rand's Girlfriend

Egwene

twistedmentat posted:

Rand's Girlfriend's mom

I don't think she was named on-screen.

twistedmentat posted:

The adorable dog man

Loial

twistedmentat posted:

The Red Aes Sedai

Liandrin

twistedmentat posted:

i think the serial killing Questioner is name Valad?

Eamon Valda

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Wankatorium is inside of each of us

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unrealistic fight scenes own. If you want to see a realistic swordfight, HEMA events often have spectator stands.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm sure the context of that scene will be expanded upon in non-x-ray form in due time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I guess my question is why is each season only 8 episodes like it's some tightly wound limited series with a few characters? Wouldn't a show like this with so many characters and stories benefit from a few extra episodes a season? The only character that I feel has any depth so far is Moiraine, and that may just be because Rosamund Pike is so good.

I can only assume it's because episodes cost money.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

So my guestimate would be about 20.5704 global viewers.

I'm the 0.5704 of a viewer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

From a strictly Doylist perspective, I expect that in the next season or so we'll learn that Loial survived because if he was only gonna be around for such a small part, they'd have either cut him completely or made him CGI and huge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's less a love triangle and more a conflict based on the characters being freaked out by the suggestion of the possibility of a love triangle. I felt like they threw it in there as a substitute for whatever it was that was originally incited the events of the episode, but had to be cut due to the sudden loss of a major actor. The same holds true for everything going on with Padan Fain in Fal Dara.

The war scene was pretty weak in parts. It's not that it's tactically unsound or anything like that, of course. Stage fighting is a metaphor, so for instance when the channelers were outside the walls with no cover that meant that they were there expecting to die as the next line of defense. It could've been done better, more spatially interesting and so forth, but it looked pretty and got the point across. The part that didn't do it for me was the cavalry charge. They weren't charging at anything! They're waiting for the enemy to attack the fortress!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The other ones who burned out died, whereas Nynaeve was just about to die, so she could be saved with a timely intervention.

I feel like the unfocused and unsatisfying use of Perrin in episodes 7 and 8 is because he was the one who got stuck holding the plot-critical details that would have gone to Mat if he hadn't suffered actor loss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's because linguistics is not one of the fields where an effort toward realism was made.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes TV shows show something cool that doesn't make a lot of sense in hindsight. Sometimes they follow it up with a some details that make it make more sense. Other times it just stays nonsense. Who knows which will come to pass, and who knows whether it will correlate to anything else in the show being good?

I think it's loving unbearable for it to be the only thing discussed in this thread for pages and pages, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sparseness is, at least, not an attribute of the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was also a pretty good episode in its own right, irrespective of what it sets up for later.