Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

I tried to read the first book 20 years ago and I was bored to death. Please note this is also when I was at my move voracious reading, so its less I was too young and more it was boring. I remember telling my friend who lent me it that it made me think if Bilbo's party just kept going and going and there was no point to any of it. He told me "oh it gets real good in book 4" and I'm thinking I don't want to read that much before the series gets good.

But I've watched a bunch of videos about the world and its history and its really quite interesting. The idea that the Wheel of Time is literal, and this is some far future of earth is a neat idea. Though also the world map is god drat lazy and boring. One of those squares with mountains at one end and kingdom layouts seems really random. Though the world map isn't as important in a show as it is in the books.

The only other thing I know is "tugs on their braid"

Well, you missed out. They're really good books, you should read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I watched the teaser on my TV after first watching on my laptop and it looks way better on a big screen.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Upgrade posted:

I also bet the entire Seanchan plot gets cut.

There's absolutely no way they could do this. That stuff is so woven into the story it would be impossible / absolutely god-awful.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Open Source Idiom posted:

Famously terrible Game Of Thrones writer slash forums meme.

How is he famously terrible?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Game of Thrones seasons that were book adaptations were really good, great TV. I have never read any of those books.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's great! Hopefully the buzz continues to build.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I would want them to, but obviously it can't work that way.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I'm down with this. Show me the pics!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm glad they seem to be going with the bald Fades, they look cool.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey that music is pretty good. Feels a little like The Witcher type music.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Argh I want to keep watching, play us more!

e: the clip in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's only one cultural accent that absolutely simply must be accurate to the books or the show is ruined.

e: y'all

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't want to wait another dang month!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

lol not a good sign for this show when all the engagement is with book readers

Why do you think that all the engagement is with book readers?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

robert jordan kind of died because of a heart condition that didn't really have much in the way of a solid cure and wasn't particularly related to him being old or anything, so i generally find jokes about that sort of thing to be dumb given that most people don't expect to just get told by a doctor 'hey your poo poo's hosed, you have this long to live' and then die a year later

Yeah, Jordon was actively writing and working on the series all the way up until his health was too far gone to allow him to physically do so. There's absolutely no comparison to be made to GRRM, who is simply lazy and doesn't feel like working on his series. Terrible comparison.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Harriet must have been unavailable.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think we can all agree that Eragon is terrible drivel.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Tolkien fought in the first world War, I thought?

E: right.

E2: gonna use this space to say I hope there is a bunch of nudity of both sexes. Gimme t & a & dongs all day long.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The gender essentialism is going to cause some waves, I suspect. I don't have any issue with it, but I can see how some people on the internet in the year 2021 are going to probably get pretty grumpy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pyromancer posted:

All the women

Come bring your terrible wrong bad take to the spoiler thread, friend.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The gently caress is "cod-Celticism" ?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

honestly a very weird first post in the thread lmao

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV >Jeff Bezos Presents: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: I'm a gay friendly friend of the gays, very gay friends, liberal etc, at least 10% gay.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Let's just chill and enjoy this hopefully fun good and dumb show together.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's a thread, *not* the SPOILER thread, in the book barn for people picking up the books for the first time because of the upcoming show. If that's your jam.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm tempering my expectations and hoping for OK. All we've seen has been from the first 3 episodes, mainly I think, and so I'm really excited to see what comes next.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand is 6'6 the same way my brother in law is totally, for real, I'm serious guys I'm 6'2.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

IcePhoenix posted:

Lookit this duuude

My brother in law is a sweet guy, but he ain't 6'2.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vavrek posted:

That's an interesting point. The question I always have is: so that's what the pigments look like fresh, right? What about after a year of exposure to light and air? It's a very dramatic point to say "Instead of austere white marble, everything was SUPER BOLD," but it's not going to stay super bold very long.

I would guess that they'd be repainted and touched up fairly frequently.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RC Cola posted:

I am excited to force my wife very patient and loving partner to watch this with me

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

IcePhoenix posted:

this makes me wonder how they're going to handle a specific thing that I'm not sure if I should even put into spoiler tags

actually what are the rules on spoiler tagging stuff from the books relating to possibilities in the show? I know there's a book thread but I'm really not interested in splitting discussion between them.

It would really be best to talk about any book stuff in the book thread. The book thread is also a full spoilers show thread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Binged through all 3 episodes last night, I want more!

It's really good! My partner who watched it with me really enjoyed it as well and she wants to keep watching. She was initially skeptical and went in not expecting to like it because she kept saying she was afraid it would end up "with too much male-gaze, like game of thrones". She's very glad its not like game of thrones.

Hell yeah, Wheel of Time!

e: went and left a 5 star review on Amazon. The 1 stars are hilariously bad.

How are u fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 19, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The blame truly does lie at Robert Jordan's feet for failing to clearly describe his characters.

Like, he could have done a thorough job and described Egwene as

quote:

"dark of skin, no seriously Black, like African Black, you know? Those people you hate and fear? That type of Black."
and all of the angry people review bombing the show would have been satisfied.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

El Grillo posted:

I am going to keep watching this show and there are a couple of aspects which are kind of engaging, but it is quite sad to me how much it feels like it was built by a committee of people who have no idea what artistry in a visual or dramatic medium is.

Nah, it's actually been really good in all of those areas so far. I didn't expect it to be this good.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How many gin & tonics did you have while watching? I drank like 4 and smoked a bunch of weed and hot drat it all looked cool as heck.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

navyjack posted:

Ugh yeah that’s who I meant, but was he the guy the Reds caught at the beginning?

Nope.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey friends if you want to talk books come join us in the full spoilers book barn thread. Help out the new show watchers by not giving them a spoiler bar to accidentally mouse over and then become sad.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Haramstufe Rot posted:

How sad is it to blow like 11 million dollars on an episode, only to make it completely unwatchable due to shaky cam. This has literally the quality of a mid-semester project - and not a good one - at college.

I guess if they fire the directors and release a new cut of this, I might finish more than 30 minutes. Right now, the whole production is so amateurish it is frankly insulting.

I thought it was very watchable and pretty intense. They did good work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cut out all the long rear end

Nah all of that stuff is super cool and interesting. But you should come talk about it in the spoilers thread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hire Josh Sawyer to play a whitecloack Jeff Bezos you coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

Condolences to the people who think they can finish the 14+ book series after getting inspired by the show.

It's an awesome series though? Good all the way through.