Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kitten emergency posted:

idgi, what am I supposed to see with those
in the target thing, it looks to me like the blue ring is about 1mm behind the red rings and the red dot. the red ring and red dot look almost like they could be stickers on top of my screen, instead of under it where the pixels are. closing one eye makes it look flat because itís to do with refraction index being different for blue and red, but being reversed in your two eyeballs.:

wikipedia:

quote:

The binocular nature of the chromostereopsis was discovered by Bruecke and arises due to the position of the fovea relative to the optical axis. The fovea is located temporally to the optical axis and as a result, the visual axis passes through the cornea with a nasal horizontal eccentricity, meaning that the average ray bound for the fovea must undergo prismatic deviation and is thus subject to chromatic dispersion. The prismatic deviation is in opposite directions in each eye, resulting in opposite color shifts that lead to a shift in stereoptic depth between red and blue objects. The eccentric foveal receptive system, along with the Stiles-Crawford effect, work in opposite directions of one another and roughly cancel out, offering another explanation to why subjects may show color stereoscopy "against the rule" (a reversal of the expected results).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kitten emergency posted:

idgi, what am I supposed to see with those

the red and blue are at different depths than the rest
ive always found the effect annoying and a little painful

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duz posted:

annoying and a little painful
mlyp!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

oh, they donít really look that different to me. the bullseye one looks a little off if I full screen the picture on my phone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the bullseye effect is stronger with my normal glasses on but it's still there a bit without them

RokosCockatrice
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in the target thing, it looks to me like the blue ring is about 1mm behind the red rings and the red dot. the red ring and red dot look almost like they could be stickers on top of my screen, instead of under it where the pixels are. closing one eye makes it look flat because itís to do with refraction index being different for blue and red, but being reversed in your two eyeballs.:

wikipedia:

This is right but a minor correction, the blue ring is the one that appears to be raised

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

This is right but a minor correction, the blue ring is the one that appears to be raised
Your eyes are on backwards

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Proud Cuntifa Terrorist

duz posted:

the red and blue are at different depths than the rest
ive always found the effect annoying and a little painful

yeah, the bullseye one was making my eyes hurt like hell if i looked at it for more than like a second

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the effect on this one linked in that thread is pretty strong for me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

also interesting that most of the examples on the wikipedia page donít work for me but that concentric red blue ring thing is really pronounced.

this one i see a bit:

this one i get nothing:

I get nothing on either of these

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

since itís dependent on angles that are reversed between your eyeballs you can also make it more pronounced by moving your screen right up to your face

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

since itís dependent on angles that are reversed between your eyeballs you can also make it more pronounced by moving your screen right up to your face

jesus christ I need to turn my monitor on

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

I've noticed that illusion even with large red text avatars against the black yospos background. I can't find a great example of it right now but if you maybe zoom in a little on this posts av you might get it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3617481&perpage=40&pagenumber=908#post520660021

greenpos supremacy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/writeroftech/status/1482942209410359297

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ban smartphones.
Ban cars.

People are too loving stupid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i like my iphone, sorry

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the incr edibles

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r57ev9ihUG1v7c3k6.mp4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Holy poo poo, IIIICCCCEEEEEEE!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd also go for that selfie. or at minimum regret it afterwards if i didn't. profile picture for the rest of time.

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

nice! reminded me of Roland G 77 which i used to drool after a long time agoÖ

had the same delay issue too. the strings take quite long to stabilize after being plucked, so counting the frequency is surprisingly hard and has a delay, especially on lower strings. one way around this is to play everything an octave higher and transpose it back down.

i don`t know how the modern midi pickups get around this issue, but i guess if you have more processing power than in the 80ís, you can predict the frequency reliably from a much worse sample.

edit, forgot the picture:

the imminent huh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 18, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

why does she have harold's bass?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Game is Never Over

Jeri owns don't sleep on this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL BRENDAN FRASER FAN CLUB

CAR

game on!!!

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

infernal machines posted:

why does she have harold's bass?

Wow, I got this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

are you from the midwest or eastern canada?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/roxiqt/status/1483087181728129028?cxt=HHwWiIC53eP7_ZQpAAAA

mystes
May 31, 2006

Now I want a duck

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:yosnice:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

"What're quantum mechanics?"
"I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."

What she did was stupid and dumb and bad, however I genuinely do not understand what else she is supposed to do in this situation lol

It is tangibly safer for her if she stays there. The ice is fractured around the car for a fair distance. Jumping or trying to get off until you have external help is more likely to land you in the freezing cold water and give you hypothermia than staying put :P

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

on twitter it is illegal to have any fun if you present female hth

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

"What're quantum mechanics?"
"I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."

yeah if that was a bosozoku group people would be going "well thats a bit dangerous but good for them" and "wow this is rad"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

imagine if it was a woman that ran the illegal 12kv electricity line to her remote trailer, lmfao.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'd take the selfie too. the embarrassing part is driving your car in the river, what else are you supposed to do while you wait for help

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

polyester concept posted:

imagine if it was a woman that ran the illegal 12kv electricity line to her remote trailer, lmfao.

I'd want her to text me

mystes
May 31, 2006

alexandriao posted:

yeah if that was a bosozoku group people would be going "well thats a bit dangerous but good for them" and "wow this is rad"
I don't think people would not be criticizing her for sinking a car in a river or pond or whatever if she was a guy?

If she didn't sink the car I would probably say "that was extremely dumb but kind of cool" but sinking the car kind of makes it even dumber and less cool?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

I'd take the selfie too. the embarrassing part is driving your car in the river, what else are you supposed to do while you wait for help

the driving the car into the river seemed intentional and insane from the video.

well done that woman.

now the video of her driving down the river just needs holy poo poo piss added to it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

also that selfie lady driving a scion is *chef kiss*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

infernal machines posted:

are you from the midwest or eastern canada?

decades ago, yes! CBC makes it over the border in the northern Midwest for sure. I think it was syndicated on PBS there, too.