Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/e3k0gTj.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

First time poster. Short time lurker.

Thanks for all the pics. I would read the old thread every night before i went to bed. Started on page 1 a few months ago and only had a few hundred post to get through then the old thread got deleted lol

Ill never know how it ends...

the last thread didn't get deleted, just gassed - it's here, so you can still see how it ends...

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

I, too, want my house to look like someone's office in a new deus ex game

ya that would be pretty sweet wouldn't it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think sa has some horse smilies

:horse:

just the one i think

all the horse people i've met have been rich and / or psycho

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

nothing brightens my day like sabot shopping

:same:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

That's true, but the problem is the opportunity cost. That you could've been doing something else, more rewarding, instead. I spent most of the lockdown screwing around with electronics, programming, designing pcbs, etc. It was interesting and rewarding when poo poo actually worked but... in the end I just have a few useless gadgets. I could've instead studies something actually related to my job and helped advance my career instead, or exercised, or read some books, or all of the above, etc.

it's also just.. the lyrics to satan by orbital

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

here's a picture from the side of a food truck that wasn't very good but at least it had a dog

that's a photo of a dog, and not an actual dog

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I don't know much about the physiological mechanism of action of benzos but I often wonder if I could have had legit cardio-respiratory problems from that

benzos, especially combined with alcohol, are often contributors to respiratory depression / death during overdoses. absent alcohol, in the doses you're encountering them in a dentist's office, administered by a licensed anaesthesiologist, no that's going to be fine and safe, just scary. i can definitely see how it could feel like that, though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

how do you free hand move a stop motion puppet like that and make the movements consistent? Like in Corpse Bride, are they just guessing with each movement or is there a way to precisely measure each change?

i think he's just eyeballing it, based on decades of stop motion experience

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

i guess knighthood has a lower bar that i'd previously realized

it's ok rotor. if you want to pretend you have one too, just go wander around a store looking confused like normal, so the employees will call you sir. nearly the same thing

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this is not a desktop computer

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If life makes you scared and bitter
At least it's not for very long

slumber will come soon (hopefully not too soon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFHwulwCvI

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

i had a backpack that had the laptop storage in a separate zipper that ran along the side of the backpack, and if you forgot to zip it, and threw the backpack over your shoulder, momentum would send the laptop flying out. happened to me at least twice in the campus library lol

i did a modified version of that a few days ago, and knocked over a computer by moving a desk which had the keyboard on it, on a short cord connected to the comp sitting on the floor below. thankfully it was fine. did make a loud sound when it hit the floor which surprised me

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Pike posted:

I once bought a "super protective" hard briefcase to protect my extremely expensive new laptop during an upcoming business trip.

I arrived at the airport, and on my first step exiting the taxi, the briefcase handle spontaneously just popped off, the case fell straight to the ground, and the case flew open, and my new laptop bounced out and landed *hard* on the cement.

i have a slightly different version of this that i use for the portable desktops when i travel. still small enough for a carry-on on most planes

was the laptop okay?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

oh; yeah i got mine w/ a falcon northwest case. guess it's probably made to a slightly higher standard than cheapest possible

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i can't find a single photo of this online otherwise, so here:

that's a falcon northwest fragbox frag bag, with a text terminal waiting to be installed

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if it's a fresh install of windows, you might try the update to 20h2 or 21h2, it's still optional depending and you might not be on it, might possibly help

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

im gonna make a confession i hate the picture of the lady wearing the x-ray smock with a meme on it

that's cara delevingne. she's a nice and thoughtful person

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

given the particulars of that bridge and intersection though, it'd be a busload of passengers waiting for a dave matthews band tour boat

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

where’s SA?

the opiate of the messes

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

plot twist: the house is actually on easter island

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i went on a bike ferry the other day, it was nice

looked a lot like that (that is the ferry i took)

was idly curious what would have happened to my bike if i'd forded it instead

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

a year or two earlier a postdoc had been working on detection methods for it. i would have never accepted a project like that

Gateways to the Beyond

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i liked their in case you didn't feel like showing up live vid, from their mind is terrible days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCeL7oepIM

e: or actually so what is probably even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syetLNIDZUo

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 4, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/AriannaRebolini/status/1449771298901700620

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

suppose someone instead dropped an I LOVE YOU green pepper every day instead. would that be much better, or still frustrating enough for signage?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

colonies such as

Dewleare
New Hamshpurairre
and Vormot

did you know that Vormot wasn't one of the original colonies? we hedged our bets, and waffled between the us and canada for a few years after the revolution. if canada just gets the housing sorted up there, maybe we'll join

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it is a bit odd that a poster w/ yospos in their name, who never posts here and hasn't for years, now own this. like how philly used to be just a name they put on things w/ no relation to the city, to let people know it was quality

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

you can make squarish/angular cars that still have good aerodynamics. the lowest drag shape is a wide flat plane, after all.

cars these days are all round and bulgy and bloated because that's the shape of their drivers.

when the prius was released, it had one of the lowest coefficients of drag ever seen in a production vehicle. that's a major reason why they shaped it like that, it was inspired by dolphins or something. still ugly, but they did design it for good aerodynamics

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i wonder if it's really lousy, as in they send it to you with free lice

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

this seems like something you computer weirdos would be into

https://twitter.com/slimefiend/status/1463214267478552588

indeed, i have some startech gear. mostly just mundane cables, but i also have a decce external usb sound device they make. which for the price it's a pretty good value. i use it sometimes mostly for the s/pdif out

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

This sysadmin is also horrified, but probably not for the reason that person thought I'd be.

…I have a use case for this. :negative:

if you have a case with a 5.25, there are also docks that fit 6 2.5 ssds in one 5.25 bay. they're pretty efficient for making a mini nas

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i have a somewhat relevant sound story. i should first say that the audio aspect of the end result was entirely accidental. i recently had need of a new base for a table top i had; wanted to lower it and repurpose it as a short work table - a bit like a coffee table, but more just as a place to have as a sturdy work space, but i wanted it to look nice. i replaced the four metal legs and built a rectangular base for it

at first i was just wanting a basic set of table legs or whatever, but i also wanted it to be super sturdy - to where if you knock into it and there's something on the table, it's not going anywhere. thought about it for a bit, and decided i'd fill it with sand, and also make the table base a zen garden at the same time, because why not? sand is an inexpensive material, readily available and weighs a bunch.

eventually, i built this:

and a shelf on the back for the tube amp driving the speakers:

here's where it got interesting. when i was building it, i decided i wanted to keep use of any nails or anything else on the outside to a minimum, so it could just look like four wood panels held together. so inside there are a bunch of metal braces holding the frame together:

i didn't get the sides quite aligned right when i attached the first few corner braces, and so i ended up clamping it down tightly, and then sanded it a bunch to get the sides to meet squarely. then i noticed that by having it under tension like that, it had a nice thud to it, a bit like a drum

i didn't want to just have the sand flush against the wood, as i didn't completely seal the base (or want to), so i used two heavy cardboard boxes i had left from another project, and built a semi-rigid frame internally

like so:

i had that piece of plexiglass cut to size, and it's completely flush with the top of the base

after i did all this, and started listening to the stereo, i was absolutely floored by the sound. it turns out that when you build a table out of nice solid wood (but the cabinet is vented), use a bunch of zinc and brass, have a large piece of plexiglass, and then fill it with dry sand and lift it off the ground with casters.. you've also built a bass trap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZV-gxVpkGk

those speaker aren't big, but they're pretty nice, and are capable of fairly flat response across the spectrum - only thing they don't have is loud bass. they do go down that low though, and all of the pieces combined have considerably improved the acoustics of the room. it's not like i built a speaker - there's no driver - but it exhibits many of the same properties as a conventional speaker. a bass trap doesn't amplify sound, but it considerably improves the harmonics, and lowers the loss of bass to the room. you could almost call it a bass concentrator rather than a trap

not being an audio engineer or whatever, and not intending to do this i had really no concept for how much of a difference the acoustics of the room mattered, or about the acoustic properties of a bass trap. next step is filling out the zen garden. think i may make a diorama with a desert oasis and a palm tree and such

mostly just pleased i can properly hear the bass on dnb songs at home now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzl5qLOvmnM

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 26, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

they may not have made a remake or anything, but they made a lemmings ii / iii and so on way back, there are like a half dozen at least

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Perplx posted:

my grill is right next to the kitchen door but sometimes i don't want to go outside or its too windy or too cold

i've stayed at a nice hotel in montreal where they have kitchens in each room, with really strong fans for if you actually wanted to cook. in my apartment i've just set up a cooking station near to the window, otherwise i kept tripping the alarm and it's just so loud

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

how is this even supposed to work

does the trackpad stop being a trackpad when you're playing music or does it stay a trackpad just now filled with landmines

there was someone in the linux thread with a system like that a bit ago, and when they loaded ubuntu on it, the display in the trackpad init as display 0, sideways. they had to use it like that until they could fix it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think i've seen this movie, actually many times. for a while, i was stuck in this cycle where i kept watching it on repeat. i've finally escaped that now

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

why was there water in the pan, Gatos? so it'd splatter better?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

when i figure out something has hateful / hurtful connotations, i just file that away in my brain and figure out other ways to phrase it. if you can say ukraine instead of the ukraine you can do this too, and it does matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MononcQc posted:

In gendered languages, that's the way they are just decided to work as a long-standing consequence of a patriarchal society that re-infused its views into usage, and usage follows by inertia.

Or to reuse the example I had given about French in another thread: if you're talking about people in a van filled with people coming to meet you, and these people are a woman brain surgeon, two women who are nobel prize winners in physics and literature, your grandma who singlehandedly took down a foreign oppressor in her village in a past war, and your 3 year old newphew who just shat himself but also happens to be a boy, then the collective group is going to be masculine because the pants-making GBS threads toddler tips the scales. All third person pronouns, nouns, adjectives, and some specific composed verb conjugations are going to take a gender and there is no neutral form and you have to pick one. So the masculine form just wins.

I figure English has the same pattern but less frequent. That much is obvious when "guys" is an often proposed accepted suggestion for a group that is men, women, or mixed, whereas "ladies" told to a group of men is some sort of boot-camp insult from full metal jacket.

---

Image tax:

just forget about what's supposedly 'correct' and use feminine pronouns. language is a living thing

https://i.imgur.com/cnRGCIA.mp4