Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

presumably also haunted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

preeeetty sure we are like 3 well crafted tweets away from convincing elon musk that stabbing yourself in the heart with that dagger will give him immortality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've been to a moose petting zoo as well. they are pretty scary up close, huge and pretty temperamental.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

missed all lan parties both last and this year, pretty sad about it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i went to a lan party last in 2019, lots of middle-aged men playing wow

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

stop posting about how you're not posting a thing and how you shouldn't post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actually a good question why 9/11 isn't a holiday in the us, would make more sense than half the ones you do have

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

I've had laptops lock up because of bad ram or gnome fail in a funny way due to a wonky sleep/multimonitor setup, but I've never had Linux just crash

yeah, i too have had linux systems fail to function in a way that prevented me from doing my work, but as ive never seen them print the funny ascii art kernel panic screen i still judge them 100% non-crashing!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

excel is good, more people being able to automate their tasks is good. programmers only complain because they resent when their status as greasemonkeys is revealed having to write 10kloc of incredibly unsexy framework java to reimplement the thing some rockstar accountant knocked out in a bit of excel a decade ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i would have made that post the very obvious virgin-chad-meme it is if i could be bothered to figure out if using that template would find me in the company of mostly reddit nazis.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

the only game from this era that actually deserves a remake. extremely underrated

they'd have to invent half the game though, the hour of scrolling text filling in (like 40% of) the story they didn't have time to make would fly even worse today. it was extremely good though, so maybe that would be worth doing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just pretend i posted another explanation of ps1 rendering problems which partially restates what other posters have already said and partially is just incorrect here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no one should have expected anything different. notably apples processors are fast by investing vast amounts of transistors on the best available processes in a fairly low number of cores. sun niagara was great for some workloads and this will be for similar ones, but for a computer on your desk you want strong single-thread.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah that’s not really a desktop pc part

it’ll be great for a plex server 50-100 of your closest friends stream from that has to transcode all those videos simultaneously, or to run a bunch of web services in VMs or whatever

or to run one small internal (but hardcore believer-of-that-era) j2ee application almost acceptably

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't realize that the reason chinese hot pot is so good for curing hangovers is a homeopathic amount of beer added to the base.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the point of the anime ban is that it is a sad computer toucher stereotype, along with loving a bitcoin and thinking teaching everyone programming would solve all problems (also doing an ai or some such). which is against the point the point of yospos. also this is why smoka should get a pass, as a resident non-(pro)-computer-toucher

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've predicted it before and it keeps not happening, but i still think that movies is the vr experience that has a shot at actual mainstream. people already commit 2+ hours to fairly exclusive focus on a piece of media there, appreciate the visual spectacle, and there is a lot of promise for the medium letting the audience feel that they are themselves situated somewhere in scene with the freedom of looking around.

biggest issues that borrowing headsets is nasty at least with current designs, and that it'd need a lot of artistic and cinematographic choices specific to the medium, and with movies being hugely expensive it is a question who'd make it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this exists today somewhat in the form of Bigscreen. you go into a virtual theatre with other people and you can watch movies, TV shows, whatever. it really pops when itís a 3D movie of course, but 2D movies work fine.

right now you can go into Bigscreen, look at whats playing and watch a full length film with other people. you can also mute those people, helpfully, but for the most part I find the people who are there are there to watch the movie. only with things like MST3K do people get more rowdy.

i think the potential difference between properly shot and directed vr films and simple baked 3d is gigantic though. i tried a demo at the arts/design campus last year which just dumped you into a crowd with a bunch of things going on, with both a full half-sphere of angular movement, and some limited parallax (stitched in some way, so you could spot errors if you worked on it a bit, but i suspect on a movie budget you could get that pretty perfect), and it was actually kind of amazing (though agoraphobia-inducing not least).

we'll see, likely i'll keep being wrong, but as far as what i would be an enthusiastic consumer of myself i think that's where it is at.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

....im gatekeeping again, sorry lol

sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself that you're not old and lame :haw:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

it seems to be a weird legal blind spot in a lot of countries, probably because of how rare it is. often the best you can do is charge people under old (and often vague) morality laws for things like "mishandling a corpse".

same as that german cannibal guy in 2003, there was a big debate as to whether it was just plain murder because nobody know if cannibalism was actually illegal.

i think this is mostly a popular media thing though. i know for sure that a lot of things you can do to corpses are not *specifically* illegal here, but "brott mot griftefriden" (literally "crime against the peace of the grave") is a law which obviously covers all of it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

if you like, you may use tk and either perl or tcl

now we're talking

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and let's be clear: being the problematic part of important machinery that lasts for 50 years otherwise is a failure on the computer side. very young bit of engineering, but we obviously can't keep replacing everything every 20 years, much less every 5.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

it definitely seems like he does pt with the lobster

and suicide rates are indeed on the rise, facts all check out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gets better and better every time i see it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

the biggest problem everyone had with it was the software sucked rear end, which stands to reason, it being an android device

oh yeah, by all accounts absolutely irredeemable garbage even taking into account it being android. a shame, i was kind of expecting microsoft to do some weird wsl-style hybrid, which also likely would have struggled to be good, but would have *also* been kind of interesting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine calling resolution "screen area"?!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

she consumed three protein shakes and a "huge bowl of black bean soup" in a single day and experienced gas so severe she thought she was stroking out and stopped doing her seven and change figgies per year scam because of it

no, you're reading it wrong, she stopped doing her perfectly real grift to instead do a crypto scam.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have to admit a lenticular dress is a pretty neat idea.

yeah, to the point where it is a bit disappointing that the execution is not quite there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Pike posted:

Check out this kick-rear end 1977 book I found in my physicist father's old bookcase that might be useful to his audio-programmer son.

it is a famous one, afaik the usual citation for hamming windows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd also go for that selfie. or at minimum regret it afterwards if i didn't. profile picture for the rest of time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too had one of those days at work today

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cancelled Spotify because gently caress joe rogan, so whats the best alternative? I'm kinda torn between apple music and youtube music right now I'm leaning toward youtube because my understanding is it lets you play any video uploaded as music?

one potential downside of youtube music is that joe rogan is on it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

how is it faster than C?

in much the same way it is easier than python

(though it is true that it gets within striking distance on both those metrics)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shifty gimbal posted:

Yeah ok. Guy seems to be riding a little hard when he's stating that the API is fundamentally flawed if all that seems to be missing is that the collapse of the RGB channels into a single brightness channel needs to be altered to take into account different film profiles.

he is saying that the model is fundamentally flawed in that it does not reconstruct images with any accuracy at all, it just adds colors meekly and mostly randomly.

to some extent accuracy is a ridiculous expectation since the colors simply aren't there, you *have* to make them up, but he is then correct that the model systematically guesses "idk, greyish?" in a way more tuned to not be too visibly wrong than it is tuned to be an actual good guess.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

picture was cool, recolorization is interesting, thanks for posting.

the points brought up which i think both are good to keep in mind though:
* the past is almost always more colorful than you expect,
* in a surprise twist a supposedly objective ai model conforms more to our expectations than to objective reality.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i am not in much of a rush to get a vr headset, but i still expect there to be a more clear-cut allround best midrange option in the next 5 years that i am then likely to pick up just to screw around with a bit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

echi's transformation into the kiwi john mcafee should be fascinating

would still somehow wind up making him post less horny

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just recommended spirited away to some friends for their kids to see, the friends claimed that it would likely be too disturbing for them. i said "naaaaaah, what are you even talking about?", went home, rewatched it, and found it quite disturbing.

extremely good, parftly because it is genuinely unsettling in many parts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

design brief - "protect from the vacuum of space but still show cleavage". i mean given jean-paul gaultier did the costume design, that's probably pretty restrained, like someone explained to him that pointy conical bras would be a puncture risk

ultimately perfectly realistic. one can with some effort imagine an idealized future where human spaceflight is commonplace, but a future without sexism is simply not plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for my part i don't have a twitter account so i have no idea what these overcompressed pixels are communicating.