Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

GyroNinja posted:

Doesn't Hiei even have a quote in the Dark Tournament where he says something to the effect of "People think I'm the evil one of the group, but man, don't ever make Kurama mad"?

I want to say that happened during the Kurama vs. Urashima or the following Shishiwakamaru fight.

e: New page? Okay. YYH is good. HxH is good. I'm just glad I got to see two very good series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great anime. Several songs from it have endured many years on my playlists.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
A mulberry is a tree and Kuwabara is a man!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i got as far as the snow maiden arc in the manga and quit out of boredom. never seen the show

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Relin posted:

i got as far as the snow maiden arc in the manga and quit out of boredom. never seen the show

The anime truncated the ghost adventures early on down to like 4 episodes, and yeah the writing quality, characters and stakes dramatically improved immediately after that arc with the Dark Tournament Arc.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I kind of miss the era of Toonami with shows like Yu Yu hakusho and Ruroni kenshin airing. Maybe it's just that I was ~12 around the time but drat a lot of the shows kicked rear end.

Anyway, I almost bailed on the first episode as a kid because I thought it was some weird slice of life show about schoolkids... and then Yusuke gets hit by a loving car and within an episode or two I was hooked.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Deki posted:

... gets hit by a loving car and within an episode or two I was hooked.

And now a good number of series today start like this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So since we're gonna have a newcomer to YYH around here, figure I'll declare

SPOILERS

I will say this about Three Kings, in spite of its many flaws like following the DBZ route of making everyone besides a certain special group (Demons here) pitifully weak and irrelevant. Yusuke's character never stops being great and memorable.

And among his many memorable traits was his "You eat people? I gotcha, that's fine" stance. There's a lot that makes him stand out compared to your average shounen lead but I dare say this is something I've seen absolutely nowhere else. It's a brutal realism or pragmatism. Demons have to eat people, they were made that way. No judgment here

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Three Kings is pretty poo poo as a shonen story but the character beats are really good and all four of the main cast besides maybe Kurama get strong conclusions

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really did not like making Yusuke a literal demon. I really prefer him just being a "bad egg" made that way by his surroundings and not someone who literally is supposed to live on eating people.

also the premise of that arc really didn't make any sense. The kings were at war because they didn't want to eat people, did they just refuse to raise livestock? Dude died out of sheer stupidity. Also how did Yusuke survive all that time if they didn't have any other food in Demon world? Did he just also not eat?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like if you buy demons being a thing then you shouldn’t be to caught up in their biology

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Momomo posted:

I really did not like making Yusuke a literal demon. I really prefer him just being a "bad egg" made that way by his surroundings and not someone who literally is supposed to live on eating people.

also the premise of that arc really didn't make any sense. The kings were at war because they didn't want to eat people, did they just refuse to raise livestock? Dude died out of sheer stupidity. Also how did Yusuke survive all that time if they didn't have any other food in Demon world? Did he just also not eat?

So this is something that's elaborated on in the manga and not the anime.

The implication is that the really old and powerful demons did need to eat humans, but after the barrier was constructed, they became hard to acquire, and natural selection resulted in the evolution of demons such as Hiei and the ice apparitions who didn't need to eat humans to survive. Kurama is kind of a special exception due to their whole reincarnation deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Yusuke is like 1% Demon as Raizan was what his 48x Great Grandfather.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the idea that he was yusuke's dad was bizarre demon logic that made no sense to anyone human.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the idea that he was yusuke's dad was bizarre demon logic that made no sense to anyone human.

I believe a term used was Ancestral Father. As Demons can live a stupidly long time, so there is a good chance a Demon Patriarch would be intimately familiar with generations down of his descendants.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I think the entire thing with Raizen and Yusuke's "father/son relationship" is for the sake of fun banter. It helps that Yusuke's actual dad is never touched on, so it's a pre-existing empty slot for him to fill someone in with.

p.s. raizen is a better dad than ging

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well his bio dad was probably just a stupid horny kid not ready to be a father as Yusuke’s mom had him at 14.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who thought he was his father. The whole backstory is Raisen backstory is he meet a girl who he loved and then didn’t eat humans for a 1000 years or something

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Watched the first 3 episodes tonight. This is definitely a 90's anime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I talked in the OP about Atsuko vanishing in the anime. Relevant to current chat, we apparently see her talking to Yusuke's actual human dad in the manga? Or so I was told. It's at the end.

bees x1000 posted:

Watched the first 3 episodes tonight. This is definitely a 90's anime.

A glorious time to be alive hence the point of the show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My peak of being a fan of YYH was definitely during the Dark Tournament arc. That was my first "tournament" anime and I loved seeing them take on steadily stronger opponents. It was nice after that to get a more freeform story in the Sensui arc where they're about town but I've forgotten most of what happens in that part of the show, and almost completely forgot everything in the final arc. I do remember watching some special features on a DVD about how they ramped up their efforts on the anime over time, how they tried different compositing technique and the style of how the characters was drawn slowly changed, which was a neat behind the scenes.

Also, since Toguro was built up as such a badass, when they introduce that in comparison to demons he's really not all that strong, it comes off as such a "seriously?" I felt it drained tension from the show, all these demons come to watch a tournament of guys who aren't even that much compared to higher demon tiers. Obviously the artist had to go in that direction to continue the series, you can't have a manga without rising powerlevels unless everyone has really clever powers like Jojo.

It's also the only anime aside from DBZ I watched all the way through in english.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Togashi adding ranks and power levels to demons was the worst decision made in the manga, and I'm 99% sure it was suggested by an editor.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

miniscule12 posted:

Togashi adding ranks and power levels to demons was the worst decision made in the manga, and I'm 99% sure it was suggested by an editor.

He did it in literally the exact same way in HxH, so I don't know if this is the case.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, weren't the "Classes" meant to be less to do with "1-on-1 fighting ability" and more to be akin to "this fucker/fuckress might be powerful enough to level a nation if left alone" caliber?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZhRG8_AfMM

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I dunno, weren't the "Classes" meant to be less to do with "1-on-1 fighting ability" and more to be akin to "this fucker/fuckress might be powerful enough to level a nation if left alone" caliber?

Well, the first time it is mentioned, it's to point out Younger Toguro was only B+ and Demon World is full of people who make him look like a chump and that's why they need to protect the tunnel and barrier at all costs.

My "favorite" is how the A-Class is just worthless. Kuwabara, Hiei and Kurama all get powered up to A-Class and then are totally helpless against Sensui, the S-Class. The strongest fighters in Spirit World are introduced...and they're only A-Class and are treated as a joke who are kept in the dark of how Demon World has tons of demons who would eat them for lunch.

There's literally not an A-Class who is worth anything from the point they are introduced.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My headcanon is that Younger Toguro had the most physical strength of any demon but his lack of any other abilities held him back from being higher tier. The power levels after the dark tournament are bad but the series still managed to be entertaining. I especially like the resolution of the demon world tournament being the strong demons tire each other out and some randos win due to how the tournament was seeded.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Momomo posted:

He did it in literally the exact same way in HxH, so I don't know if this is the case.

Eh, in HxH the higher-ranked things introduced are ranked as such because they are absolutely horrifying and it's a big ol' ??? on how to handle them because they can't just be beaten up. It's something that makes internal sense and I really didn't mind it.

Anyway I rewatched through the Dark Tournament very recently and it really is such a good arc. Koto in the dub is also just on her A-game at all times - apparently she was made more bloodthirsty in the dub compared to the original japanese? If that's true it's a choice that paid off because she's great.

I will also always have some appreciation for the Three Kings arc just because I enjoy the eventual tournament winner being a mook-looking dude who wears sweats and a tank top.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, the first time it is mentioned, it's to point out Younger Toguro was only B+ and Demon World is full of people who make him look like a chump and that's why they need to protect the tunnel and barrier at all costs.

My "favorite" is how the A-Class is just worthless. Kuwabara, Hiei and Kurama all get powered up to A-Class and then are totally helpless against Sensui, the S-Class. The strongest fighters in Spirit World are introduced...and they're only A-Class and are treated as a joke who are kept in the dark of how Demon World has tons of demons who would eat them for lunch.

There's literally not an A-Class who is worth anything from the point they are introduced.

I think it was stated that Toguro's wish to be the strongest type of Demon and him being only be a B-Class is because only B or lower Demons could go to the human world.

I thought Sensui was High A normally then Low S in his true self. All the other Sensui Seven were considered A, and the Taboo user were considered A Class equivalent.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Toguro is the reason why my brain switches off whenever someone in an anime begins to talk about their "power" in exact percentages. "My power at 100% is actually only 80% of my power because my power is too cool so I lie about it." Then when his 100% isn't enough he rolls out his extra 120%.

Other than that I really enjoy the show. Kuwabara being the stand-out character. I've also really enjoyed both his Japanese and English voices. There was some episode in the middle of the dark tournament or just after it where the animation gets extra animated. In the episode Kuwabara is trying to show off for Yukina and he's dancing around and snapping his fingers. I'd love to find a clip of that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was stated that Toguro's wish to be the strongest type of Demon and him being only be a B-Class is because only B or lower Demons could go to the human world.

I thought Sensui was High A normally then Low S in his true self. All the other Sensui Seven were considered A, and the Taboo user were considered A Class equivalent.

No that's incorrect.

None of the human psychics were strong physically, but their territories made so it physical strength wasn't a requirement to win. That's the whole point of why Genkai ambushes them in that hideout, to teach them that the abilities of the new psychics mean that their physical strength alone isn't enough to compete.

Sensui when he fights Yusuke says Yusuke is stronger than him , but it doesn't matter because his experience will win out. The only time he's ever stronger than Yusuke is when he pulls out the Sacred energy with his true personality.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Toguro being small time makes sense when you consider he was basically working as a mercenary for rich humans whereas Raizen Yomi and Mukuro are literally vying for control of an entire hell dimension.

Sensui's position on the other hand feels a little weird, in part because in the arc that he is situated in almost no one else is relying on actual combat prowess, and in part because he is basically "Yusuke, but Jokerfied"

I like the ESPer and Demon Realm stuff a lot, but there is kind of an odd progression there with it going Kinda Super Powered Battles -> Big Super Powered Battles -> Super Powered Mind Games ->Continentally Devastating Super Powered Battles

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
When you’re late to the Dark Tournament but you have to beat Urameshi.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Watched episodes 4 and 5. We just might be getting somewhere interesting now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Asuron posted:

No that's incorrect.

None of the human psychics were strong physically, but their territories made so it physical strength wasn't a requirement to win. That's the whole point of why Genkai ambushes them in that hideout, to teach them that the abilities of the new psychics mean that their physical strength alone isn't enough to compete.

kaito: i will tell you all exactly how to avoid losing to me. my power will make you lose if you say these words. do not say these words and you won't lose
hiei: foolish human, you have no idea how loving stupid i am

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

None of the human psychics were strong physically, but their territories made so it physical strength wasn't a requirement to win.

Yes I know, but the guide just said this about them "D- (spirit power)/A (psychic power)" with the exception of Sniper who is a C in Spirit Power, and Gourmet who was a B. (Which is probably why he was given to the more powerful Elder Toguro to control.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I very much enjoyed this, thank you for posting it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

in retrospect i think the only reason puu was in the show was to give keiko something to do with her hands

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stexils posted:

in retrospect i think the only reason puu was in the show was to give keiko something to do with her hands

They mainly existed for the cave test in the dark tournament. Togashi then doubled up on having them serve multiple purposes after that such as creating a barrier to protect the humans during the toguro fight and being a medium for genkai's spirit.

In the next arc though they just served to lead people towards yusuke/into trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

An observation: The fights in YYH aren't very good in and of themselves. They are good because of the writing and execution.

This reminds me of a Discord talk about why One Piece is the best. The person praising it did not like shounen and he said OP was the best shounen ever because of its non-shounen elements. I disagree but it was an interesting take and, more relevantly, he claimed the most memorable moments of OP are all outside of fights.

Again, disagree but I'm connecting this to YYH. YYH certainly has memorable fights but it's more for emotional peaks in the fights and not because the fights are particularly interesting. And YYH certainly has many non-standard shounen elements that I think make it stand out and help make Yusuke my favorite shounen lea ever.

Stexils posted:

And to give us a scene I still cry at nearly twenty years later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhzuNmMi-k