Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's probably not very fair to compare HxH and YYH since the former isn't done, but based on what I saw of the anime, I still prefer YYH. While I really did not like the Three Kings arc for multiple reasons, I really hated Chimera Ant, and that was like a good third of the anime's runtime. There's also the core cast just appealing to me more in YYH, with Yusuke and his friends just coming off as more fun in their interactions than Gon and Killua.

Both are good, and HxH definitely improves on some of the failings of YYH, but I gravitate toward the latter a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It was pretty funny that Kurama couldn't help but kill people in really terrible ways. All his fights end with him sucking someone's insides out, or suffering a neverending death, like he just can't help himself. Hiei is the edgy one, but he shows more mercy than Kurama did.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I really did not like making Yusuke a literal demon. I really prefer him just being a "bad egg" made that way by his surroundings and not someone who literally is supposed to live on eating people.

also the premise of that arc really didn't make any sense. The kings were at war because they didn't want to eat people, did they just refuse to raise livestock? Dude died out of sheer stupidity. Also how did Yusuke survive all that time if they didn't have any other food in Demon world? Did he just also not eat?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

miniscule12 posted:

Togashi adding ranks and power levels to demons was the worst decision made in the manga, and I'm 99% sure it was suggested by an editor.

He did it in literally the exact same way in HxH, so I don't know if this is the case.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've been going through the anime with my partner. It's her first time watching and she's been enjoying it, but she was pretty disappointed with how Sensui ended up. It's such a shame that it went in the direction it did, because everything up until that stupid seven personalities thing was so good.

One thing that hits way harder in 2023 is how the show treats immigration. When I first watched the show as a teen, I wasn't really thinking about how hosed up it was that Spirit World tried to take over Demon World, and put up a big net to stop anyone from going into the human world, while also just letting humans do whatever the hell they wanted with any demons they could capture. Nowadays the way people talk about demons invading their town and destroying everything sounds uncomfortably close to what people say in real life.

We're saving watching the live action series until after we finish the anime, which we've only got 20 eps of anyway. The previews looked alright, but just looking at the main four makes me sad. I haven't watched the live action One Piece yet, but the visuals of that have basically destroyed any other anime adaptation. You can't give us pompless Kuwabara after that.