Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
From the little boxing I've seen the Irish boxers that are winning are the "smarter" boxers. A lot of emphasis on movement, and getting a few punches in that really score. Aidan Walsh has just won a bronze, from movement, smartness, and a few landed punches. Kellie Harington has been the best Irish boxer I've seen because she has the movement and smarts, but lands a lot as well. It really seems like the Irish coaches are putting emphasis on really efficient boxing, but some boxers (when the Irish have lost) have come out all guns blazing, and that really seems to impress the Rusian and "-stan" judges.

It's a really weird situation with the new scoring. It's like some countries have emphasized doing "enough" rather than the old model where you had to outscore in punches your opponents, making for a full three rounds (and maybe dealing with dodgy, corrupt judging.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
That Irish boxer talking about his medal win. "I just do what the coaches tell me to do. They're in the corner, it's like a computer game, I'm the operator [I think he means "I'm the Mario"], they yell out what to do and I do it."

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Watching a woman from Mozambique fighting a Chinese woman, the woman from Mozambique has an extremely brave tactic of going for a knock-out within three rounds. Something that was successful in her previous fight, which is even more impressive.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My favourite Olympian is fighting tonight/tomorrow morning. Kellie Harrington. She's talked really well about what the Olympics means to her and the competitors with her. Has a really great attitude, is a very good fighter, and I hope she wins gold for herself and Ireland.

Edit: I say "favourite Olympian" only because I can't list every one of the female skaters as No. 1.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Negostrike posted:

Hell yeah she'll be facing Beatriz Ferreira and I won't miss it. Good to know Bia won't be fighting such a dirty boxer like Khyzhniak. I'll be rooting for Brazil's 8th gold medal, of course. Hope they give us a hell of a show, good sportswomanship and may the best boxer win.

Absolutely! It'll be on at 6am here and I dunno if I'll make it (I missed the semi-final.) During the quarter final I was a bag of nerves.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
loving amazing! Kellie Harrington wins in one of the best Olympic fights I have ever seen. Both fighters gave everything. I'm absolutely buzzing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Negostrike posted:

Congrats to Harrington and Ireland. Very well deserved.
Bia Ferreira just apologized on camera for not winning but gently caress it, she did very well and getting us a silver medal is already a huge enough deal. No need for apologies.

Definitely not. If you were guaranteed a fight half that quality in all boxing matches you'd be delighted. It was a real, honest, proper fight. Two amazing women going at it.