Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

You can't really compare GB to the US. They've got hundreds of millions more people and billions more dollars of investment to play with all across the board. A better comparison would be the major European countries like France and Italy and we're way better than all of those :britain:

Yeah, this. Frankly, I’m surprised we finished ahead of Russia too as it goes. Scandals or not, I’d still expect them to be up there with the US and China given the population and resources.

All the medalists are awesome but drat, Lauren Price manages to make one feel especially inadequate - champion kickboxer, played for Cardiff and Wales, now a gold winning Olympic boxer? Get da gently caress outta here, poo poo’s crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It seems sports that are part of the the whole College Sports thing that is so important to US universities are a fundamental part of the US pre-eminence.

It is slightly weirder than that, College American Football and Basketball make so much money from their TV contracts that they end up funding all the Olympic sports via the donations the university athletic associations give back to the universities. The big university athletic departments would be in the red without College American Football afaik.

US Olympic athletes have been on GoFundMe asking for travel expenses before, seems like the private money funneling into the university sports system generates enough medals that direct central govt funding of the USA Olympic Committee never became a thing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, this. Frankly, I’m surprised we finished ahead of Russia too as it goes. Scandals or not, I’d still expect them to be up there with the US and China given the population and resources.
The Russian squad is still dealing with having a bunch of its competitors barred, they only have the 10th biggest squad this time round (328 vs 436 in 2012).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Except if you drop athletics and swimming, we do largely compete with the US.

USA 21G 19S 17B
UK 18G 15S 18B

It seems sports that are part of the the whole College Sports thing that is so important to US universities are a fundamental part of the US pre-eminence.

How many basketball medals did England get? If we're only counting important medals?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bip Roberts posted:

How many basketball medals did England get? If we're only counting important medals?

England wasn't competing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

England wasn't competing

Obviously from the performance.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Bip Roberts posted:

How many basktball medals did England get? If we're only counting important medals?
USA 3 gold
Latvia 1 gold
GB nil gold.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rarity posted:

You can't really compare GB to the US.

in fact i can, in the sense that the US won the olympics and, by comparison, GB did not

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Nobody outside of America cares about basketball

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nobody outside of America cares about basketball

Oh god you said the thing. I can hear the hoards of sweaty amerigoons in the distance already. 'third most popular sport in the world!' they're screaming

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Hey, North Korea and strange parts of Eastern Europe are well into b-ball

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Basketball seems cool it's baseball I don't get

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Is Olympic basketball a proper tournament, or is it like football where it's a youth tournament cause noone cares.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

As a casual Olympics viewer when I saw the final medal table for this one I was surprised to see GB did well because I was under the impression they were bad at sports. So I googled the last few medal tables and it turns out they've been doing well for a while. So then I wondered why I thought they were bad and all I can think of is that it's because I'm Australian. Do you think that's it, or is all this the result of a long tail from investments made for 2012 or something?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kalko posted:

As a casual Olympics viewer when I saw the final medal table for this one I was surprised to see GB did well because I was under the impression they were bad at sports. So I googled the last few medal tables and it turns out they've been doing well for a while. So then I wondered why I thought they were bad and all I can think of is that it's because I'm Australian. Do you think that's it, or is all this the result of a long tail from investments made for 2012 or something?

They finished 36th in Atlanta 96, it was seen as a great embarrassment. It was after that the serious sports funding started and we got gud

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah after Atlanta they formed UK Sport as a national overseeing body and started using the National Lottery funding to support our athletes which then got really ramped up with investment once we got declared hosts for 2012 but they've made clear efforts to maintain that success since. Every host nation gets a boost at their own games but we're the only one that's been able to keep that level of success rolling through the next two Olympics.

Kalko posted:

it's because I'm Australian

We were still pretty poo poo at most of the stuff Australia's good at for most of the last decade so you probably wouldn't notice the improvement

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that's probably it. I stopped watching our official Olympic broadcaster's channel over a decade ago because it's a mind-numbingly dumb experience and because the only narrative in this country at Olympics time is Our Aussie Swimmers, and I don't care for swimming at all. But all of that poo poo is still there in my brain because really it's been the main story here for most of my life.

Luckily this year our broadcaster actually had a good app which let you watch the OBS feeds from every event so I could bypass their two main channels, and I have to echo a lot of other posters here by saying the skateboarding and sport climbing were amazing additions and awesome to watch.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Oh god you said the thing. I can hear the hoards of sweaty amerigoons in the distance already. 'third most popular sport in the world!' they're screaming

are they?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's somehow summoned you to this thread so you tell me?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
inexplicably i had to play basketball at school quite often. we were all totally poo poo at it and the teachers didn't care. it was probably just cos it was always raining and they had to put us somewhere

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

inexplicably i had to play basketball at school quite often. we were all totally poo poo at it and the teachers didn't care. it was probably just cos it was always raining and they had to put us somewhere

I didn't mind basketball in pe except for the fact that we played with a kid in a wheelchair who I'm pretty sure played age group basketball for Great Britain and he just toasted us on his own. Didn't even need his chair, just dragged himself around the court gorilla style. Nothing like getting completely crossed up by a kid with no legs

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah third after football and cricket! :britain: :india: Looking forward to my five day test at Paris.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
perhaps we should not play the "who cares about x sport" game in the Olympics subforum because it's pretty :whitewater: imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All sports are inferior to the noble art of pro wrestling anyway

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rarity posted:

god drat right!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can't go comparing sports to the arts. Apart from rhythmic gymnastics. And artistic swimming or whatever the gently caress it's called now. And figure skating. And... Hm. Maybe you could.

Competitive pro wrestling. Pairs sport, 5 minute bouts, defined match structure (or set provided to judges before the start to be assigned difficulty points), judged on technical performance and style. Yeah, it could work. Pitch it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell it's basically just artistic gymnastics with a combat sport element

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

goatface posted:

You can't go comparing sports to the arts. Apart from rhythmic gymnastics. And artistic swimming or whatever the gently caress it's called now. And figure skating. And... Hm. Maybe you could.

Competitive pro wrestling. Pairs sport, 5 minute bouts, defined match structure (or set provided to judges before the start to be assigned difficulty points), judged on technical performance and style. Yeah, it could work. Pitch it.

While this is true only the winner of the match gets the gold medal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They get the Olympic champion belt, the other one gets the medal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rarity posted:

I'm glad to see a few people jumped on pro-wrestling being a sport that could be added to the olympics in the other thread, as I genuinely think it would be a lot of fun and have been trying to convince people using the same arguments as goatface.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

It's somehow summoned you to this thread so you tell me?

I don't give a poo poo about basketball

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Uh oh update the medal totals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58193101

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well that'll annoy the other three.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goatface posted:

Well that'll annoy the other three.

Yeah that's gonna suck handing it back

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It (being banned for doping) is coming home

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It came home for a day or two then went back to Tokyo (in a urine sample bottle)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It (being banned for doping) is coming home
Mostly true but China wasn't actually banned tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
As for the paralympics we are currently 2nd in the medal table and just beaten USA at the finals of Judo and Wheel Chair Rugby. A good day.