Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm excited for the OEL-Meyers experience. Trading Hughes would also be galaxy brained. Please be honest... you're repackaging HF Boards stuff right.

I think the "they've got two years to win a Cup with this core" at the beginning was supposed to be the tip-off that the whole post is a troll

Didn't someone say the Flyers locker room was pretty old timers vs everyone else? Maybe it's just the old timers are dicks.

That's every locker room in every sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They need to be the Chicago Predators and Nashville can pick a less unfortunate name for their team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good soup! posted:

I will NEVER give up on that dope logo or those jerseys, so come say that poo poo to my face bitch

The Hurricanes wear them like 4 times a year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think at this point it's fairly clear the Avs have decided to move on from Landeskog unless he gives them a steep discount.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I need to change mine but I don't know what to yet. I might wait and see if Hextall gives me some inspiration with some mongo signings

Just go ahead and get a Creepy Rory one now

e: Bernier is going to be the Pens' 1A goalie for $4.5M next year isn't he?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bennett's a good bottom six guy, but the danger with overpaying that kind of player is that you'll feel pressured/obliged to play him in a bigger role than he can capably handle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I went back to 2015 and at no point has Arizona not had one or more of these contracts for players that were dumped on the Coyotes and never expected to play for them counting against their salary cap. Chris Pronger, Dave Bolland, Pavel Datsyuk, Marian Hossa.. now they've added Andrew Ladd. That's not to mention all of the players Arizona has retained salary on or bought out over the years.

This strategy obviously isn't paying off for them.. I would be sick and tired of these kinds of transactions if I were an Arizona fan. Forget piling up 2nd round draft picks for drafts that don't even take place until 3 years from now, let's put a contending team on the ice for once.

I don't know that there's any evidence the Coyotes exist to compete. The evidence rather suggests that they exist to fill out other teams' schedules and be a favor trading clearinghouse for the league office.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 27, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Man that is about as Jets as a trade can get right there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Years ago I lived for a couple years way out a hundred miles from nowhere, in the vast nothing west of Nashville. It was 45 minutes from the nearest Walmart, and the only place you could get reliable cell reception in the whole county was in the Dollar General parking lot.

It was loving awesome.

But I don't like people, so YMMV.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Whhhyyyyyyyy do you have to go there of all places MAF :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't get it, if picking up his salary is all it takes why wouldn't the Penguins do it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is probably the first time the recently-minted Vezina winter was unceremoniously given away for nothing, right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because while the Pens are probably definitely going to overpay they are maybe not insane enough to take on $7 million in salary?

Would much rather have MAF for $7M than Bernier or Mrazek or whoever the hell for $4.5M

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it was pretty obvious after how the Montreal series played out that Vegas was not going to bring MAF back, but that is an astonishingly shitlord way to treat one of the most beloved players in the league, if true

e: and if he retires he will 100% end up joining the proud tradition of Retired Arizona Coyotes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah this is like a shady back-door buyout.

Certainly possible all parties involved expect him to retire, so Vegas is moving his cap hit to Chicago to open space for Landeskog, and after he retires Chicago will move his cap hit to Arizona or Detroit or wherever. Nothing else changing hands besides understanding of owed favors.

And if he doesn't retire Chicago can live with that too, they get an overpaid but still good goalie without much term.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah Vegas isn't getting Eichel. I think it's a pretty good bet they're after Landeskog.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does a NTC remain in force after a player retires? Could MAF retire and then put all the teams with cap space and no hope on his no-trade list to cockblock the Chicago Predators from dumping his cap hit? I'm guessing no but it would be awesome if he could do that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Any goalie the Leafs sign will need to be cheap, if they think they can reclaim Jones, well… he’d probably be as bad as Andersen was this year. Which is not ideal. But again, if enough people think he’s washed then he could be an option just for salary considerations.

Where exactly does Vancouver think they’re going to be getting cap space from?

Letting Pettersson walk on an offer sheet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't know how valid it is, but CapFriendly claims that MAF retiring just makes the cap hit vanish into the ether:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1420050959430991883

Oh right, voluntary retirement rather than LTIR. So yeah, they expect him to retire and Chicago is just doing Vegas/the league office a solid.

I'm kind of in shock that MAF is getting hosed over this hard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess the whole league knows that if you need to gently caress a hockey player over against his will, you call Chicago

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Breaking: Beau sprained his finger accidentally typing three l's at the end there and is expected to return to Twitter in 4-6 weeks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's obvious they did it because (a) they're trying to clear cap but also and more importantly (b) DeBoer is raging ripshit pissed at him for blowing the Montreal series, probably against orders to stay the hell in his crease. I get why the team decided to ship him out. But the over-the-top vindictive way they did it is just incredible douchebaggery.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean Ovi probably won't be able to do anything else in 5 years but he'll still be able to sock 25 power play dingers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

gently caress Vegas, and I hope Ovechkin fucks off to the KHL when he realizes he can't beat Gretzky's record.

I still think he has a pretty decent shot at it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Squibbles posted:

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1420071714193612802

Not that it's a big concern I guess. He'll either play it out or get LTIR'd I would imagine.

Yeah it'll be exactly this

shyduck posted:

Risto deal aside, Chuck is having a good offseason

lol other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

If I’m MAF, I show up and play. But when the season starts and he gets a start, he should just stand up and let the other team score without attempting to block anything until they pull him.

You can play halfheartedly without getting your contract voided and probably banned from the sport.

Regardless MAF is the total opposite of that kind of guy, which is partly why it's so shocking Vegas went out of their way to humiliate him while pushing him out the door.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nonononononono loving Burke you shittttttt unless Calgary are retaining half.... maybe.

Are you ready to admit Hextall isn't in control of the NHL roster yet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

How did we end up with MAF?

A thing called "Matt Murray" emerged from the primordial ooze and chased MAF to the Pittsburgh bench by being a really good goalie for 1.5 years while MAF was on-and-off injured. The moment MAF was gone to Vegas, it dissolved back into an amorphous puddle and then hosed off to Ottawa to die the death.

Those are the tales told around low campfires in the darkest part of the night in Pennsyltucky, at least.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krime posted:

Who the gently caress thinks Lucic can still play?

A person whose active hockey knowledge ends in about 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm fine with the Penguins going down in flames, but the nagging worry in my mind is that if things turn really ugly the Crosby Era could end the same way the Lemieux Era did (with the team on the brink of leaving Pittsburgh altogether)

e: I actually wasn't making a Lucic joke there but it's pretty funny now that I re-read it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

shyduck posted:

Today I learned Phil Kessel has played in 900 consecutive regular season games and is 5th all time. All that with hot dogs

If only Beau Bennett had had the wisdom to avoid all contact as if deathly allergic to it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It looks like an offer calculated to be refused so you can tell the fans/media "well, we tried"

That or they're just betting he won't get more on the market

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DJExile posted:

E: who was the canes' locker room cancer 3 years ago? I do not recall that at all.

Skinner, I assume

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens are apparently content to run it back with Jarry and DeSmith, which is surprising.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if content is the right word. But the only truly appealing option is Maf and he's both expensive and possibly unavailable anyways.

A lot of the other rumored goalies out there are a pile of bleh.

I don't know but would assume they shopped Jarry and couldn't find anyone willing to take him without being paid off to do so, and they just don't have the cap space to pay Jarry plus another goalie plus whatever useless big old guys they're after. So they're just going to hope Jarry improves.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

If Cody loving Ceci is worth $3M for multiple years in FA then I now fully understand why Kyle Dubas was willing to lose McCann to protect Justin Holl.

It wasn't so much losing McCann as giving the Penguins a bag of pucks to be able to protect Holl, but, yeah.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno who Dillabaugh is but I sure hope he's not the same guy that "fixed"Hart

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cool, I didn't know Alex Goligoski has a kid playing in the NHL now too

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like if the Capitals just decided to trade Tom Wilson they’d get Jack Eichel and 5 first round picks. Teams would be lining up for him.

They should. Tom Wilson is an immensely valuable player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Seattle is going to be such a disaster