Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LumpyGumby posted:

Friendly reminder that we have a d core of Sam Girard, Cale Makar, and Devon Toews for the next three years, as well as Erik Johnson and Bo Byrum for the next two.

Friendly reminder that it's Byram not Byrum.

Also, the good one is M. Rielly, not Reilly. And someone is going to sign him to a tremendously bad contract next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

drat, Hughes and Pettersson I always felt were untouchables for Vancouver. Trading him for Ty Smith+ makes them worse off

Yeah if they do that they'll miss the playoffs by 10 points every year instead of 7.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Blackhawks need to change their name to something less offensive but maintain the cadence, like Black Hockey Team.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

They need to be the Chicago Predators and Nashville can pick a less unfortunate name for their team.

The Nashville Honky-Tonkies; Go Honkies Go!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Iodised QQ posted:

Boston didnt qualify Nick Ritchie

Odds on him being a Ranger on Wednesday?

Leafs are totally going to be in on Ritchie - big, physical, and will shut up the tiny minority of fans who still wish he'd been picked over Nylander.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darren Dreger is Dave Nonis' cousin. Otherwise, he knows approximately jack poo poo about anything. I'm pretty sure there are at least 20 goalies currently available who are better than Jones and won't be asking for more than 2-3M.

Then again, I doubt he'll get much more than league minimum and the Marlies could use a backup.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

whatis posted:

what cup are we talkin about here

Chicago's in pretty good shape to win the 2017 Stanley Cup, and this time they're well-poised to beat the Predators at their own game.

e: come on dude's it's obviously "One for none".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

clean ayers act posted:

Carolina renaming Storm Surge to sturmsurge soon i imagine

Tony D will do a great job with Stormfront Surges, yes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How is that news? There have been multiple reports that Schmidt had refused to waive and Dreger is not confirming that he changed his mind and waived after all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

heehee posted:

the trade already happened dude

That's not what he wrote - he said 'pending the trade call', implying that it hadn't actually happened, and that Schmidt needed to waive his no-trade.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did Benning just keep texting him over and over to waive it? Poor guy finally caved in

Not that it matters but Dreger was famous for running interference for Nonis.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man the West is going to be really tight next year with Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg. Not a lot of room for the other American teams to squeak in.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who the gently caress is Michael Bunting?

Well I looked him up and he:

- scored 10 goals in 21 games on 26% shooting for Arizona last season
- is from Scarborough
- played for the Soo Greyhounds

So yeah you can lock him up for the Leafs easily.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought Ethan Bear looked absolutely awful against the Leafs last season but anyway good luck in Carolina.

Meanwhile, I suppose Mrazek is an upgrade on Andersen, but I'm not keen on the Leafs and Canes exchanging underwhelming goalies (seriously wtf is Carolina doing, Andersen is completely cooked).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

man Ken Holland sucks rear end

Foegele is a decent middle 6 guy and not a terrible return for Bear.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Andersen reportedly getting 4.5x2 from Carolina.

Uh.... What the gently caress? Did anyone watch him play the last two seasons?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who the gently caress is David Kampf and why is he making $1.5M on a capped out team?

Also Kurtis Gabriel is loving terrible too. What the hell Dubas.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Kampf is a 3/4C that's defensively sound and is great on faceoffs and the penalty kill. Don't ask about offense. This let's Kerfoot slide into LW on the Tavares line if he stays on the roster.

If the plan is to give Kerfoot more minutes and then also have a 3/4C who gets caved in on defensive assignments and can't score then I'm pretty sure that I don't like it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jon Irenicus posted:

it's cool that the Islanders apparently operate like they are handling state secrets.

You'd think they have nothing to hide with their lack of facial hair.

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/status/1420528874144747523?s=20

Arizona is killing it this offseason.

Now they need to start doing something with all of the futures they are acquiring.

Someone needs to edit the spinning wheel of justice into a goalie value wheel. Timmins and a 1st is wild. Meanwhile perfectly reasonable goalies sign for 2-3M or get traded for nothing while broken vets rake in the cash.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

Granlund getting 4 years $20mil from the Preds seems like another bad centreman contract that Poile loves handing out

Hasn't he also been playing wing a lot and not doing especially well?

Can't argue with the longest(?)-tenured NHL GM though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Excuse me, only the Leafs were brave enough to draft future top four defenseman Matt Finn.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/Canes/status/1420882134613495809

People calling him a great 7D/13F as if that's not the ultimate backhanded compliment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueJacketsPR/status/1420859197625880577

Yet another player Carolina dumped because he asked for too much, although I think they were justified because he sucked in the playoffs and now they have the mercurial Tony D to fill the one-way D role.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1418718607341723651

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1402651275330834440

Yes. Give the man $9Mx8, play him with Barrie 25 minutes per game and make McDavid have to score 2PPG to stay ahead while the garbage bottom six bleed goals against everywhere.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1421450075222466563

I'm just going to look at his last regular season stats in a vacuum and pretend that this is a good signing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quick, someone find a clip of Ceci making a slick stretch pass to spring an odd man rush.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1421529654968688640

It's too bad that this is surprisingly reasonable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

9x8 defenseman extensions are the new 4.5x6 defenseman extensions.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Is anyone actually bad enough of a GM to overpay for a broken center who wants to have a surgery that may be the wrong choice?

Various people have pointed out that the artificial disc replacement surgery Eichel wants apparently has better outcomes than the more conservative fusion surgery that Buffalo wants, and the sticking point is probably that Buffalo's insurance won't cover it because it hasn't been done on an NHL player before. But supposedly various martial artists have had it and continued to compete without issues, and people have died in car accidents without having the artificial disc damaged, so it doesn't seem like it's necessarily a riskier choice. I can't imagine hockey being much more strenuous on the neck/spine than MMA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You laugh now, but we'll see who's laughing when Zach Hyman turns out to be a massive disappointment and Duncan Keith proves to be just as old and broken as he's appeared to be for the last 3-4 years.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In case you also had no idea what this was referring to, here you go.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Love to see the Oilers rocketing past possibly every team but San Jose (:lol:) for the cost of their still bottom-third in the league defense corps.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

Rangers traded what ended up as two 2nd rounders for Fox

I think you need to add about a dozen asterisks to that example.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"We forgot to check this guy's Twitter profile before announcing his hiring, on Twitter."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"I want to stay in Vancouver but also play for a team that has a chance to go far in the playoffs."

Good news, Canucks fans!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

Zac Ronaldo was on Calgary's roster??

Cavalry FC, maybe?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Autocorrect strikes twice in a row, niiiiiice

Cavalry FC is the name of Calgary's top soccer team. I was very careful to look this up to make an accurate, mediocre throwaway joke.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1426336639333306373

Hopefully this fixes his bum wrist for good and he can get back to scoring filthy snipes with his filthy stache.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure the Wings will do something classy like make the C patch match the Little Caesar's C, they already milked enough money out of the city of Detroit and don't need more.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arizona just needs a new arena halfway between Phoenix and Tucson to max out attendance, adding to the seriously how many drat arenas does Phoenix have now?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Coyotes in Phoenix has long been Bettman's #1 personal pet project for whatever quixotic reason, they will never leave as long as he is alive no matter how much money it costs the league to keep them there.

Best commish in pro sports tho! #1 in full seasons lost to lockouts, consistent in smarminess... Am I forgetting anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

Happy Retirement to the most handsome hockey man

Whoa, did something happen to William Nylander?