Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Buchnevich trade is making up for a long history of James Dolan making the blues worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q330AOycYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Nemeth at 2-3 years and 2.25-2.75m as rumored seems like a good move. He'll likely be paired with Lundkvist, and at a glance their games are a complement to each other. This allows for Robertson and Jones, drafted in 2019, to play some time in the AHL, and the same for Schneider, who will play in the WHL this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

I remember there being some talk about the Rangers bringing Stepan back, but nothing since. I wonder if he's still in the mix if they trade Strome?

At this point, it doesn't seem likely since they kept Rooney and acquired Goodrow. Strome only gets moved if they acquire Eichel another top six center, because Chytil doesn't look good at center and might not be a top sixer, and none of these other options should be anywhere near the top six.

Plus, Stepan's not "tough to play against" so at this point he'd basically be a softer/smarter/slower Kevin Rooney.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

Their ten best draft picks by point totals: Wheeler (traded because he refused to play for them), Briere (traded after one good season for Chris Gratton -- and this was 2003 Chris Gratton), Yandle, Turris (traded before he got decent), OEL, Hanzal, Boedker, Domi, Daniel Winnik, and someone named Trevor Letowski.

Funny you should mention him, he's an assistant coach for the Habs now and may be a factor in bringing back a player he coached in junior hockey.

https://twitter.com/Antho_Martineau/status/1419771165166477317

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

If there's one thing the Rangers need, it's more wingers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

grack posted:

Seattle may have wanted Vanacek regardless

Agreed, he's one the players who made the most sense for building an expansion team. He'll start a good number of games this year as a backup or 1B, and could potentially be a part of their long-term plan.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I could see the Rangers with a line of Perry-Getzlaf-Goodrow but I'm not sure I'd be happy about it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

What

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Considering Ovechkin has a good enough relationship with the team that he negotiates his own contracts directly, it seems like they're on the same page.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Cool and lol

Looking forward to the Tinordi-Geertsen pairing that only plays against the Caps.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Isn't Tinordi terrible?

Yeah, I wonder what the Rangers saw in him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5Y8jfaeXc

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It'll be nice when all the concussions catch up to Tom Wilson and take him out of the game entirely so GMs can stop doing this stupid poo poo

We also have the "his father was a Ranger" storyline. It looks like chins made of steel run in the family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoYVn88mdXk

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Brooks is saying the Rangers are after Ritchie. If that's true my lord they've got a logjam at forward.

As long as the price is right, he seems like a dude who would be a great bottom sixer, and despite all the high-end youngsters, I'm not convinced they're 12 NHL forwards deep. Barron and Gauthier aren't proven, Blais and Rooney are spare parts.

Or maybe they're planning on trading multiple forwards for Jack Eichel.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Are there any more Hughes brothers to look into?

No, but there's another Jack Hughes in next year's draft.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/617526/jack-hughes

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Zach Werenski is very good at hockey.

Ryan Reaves is very bad at hockey.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

So I wonder who's full of poo poo here, Brooks or Georigievs agent.

Brooks has been saying the Rangers should trade Georgiev for years now. Three days ago he suggested they dump his cap hit and sign Martin Jones.

Since he's their go-to leak guy, I can't imagine they would go to him to take their leverage away if they were gonna deal him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Bruins have no cap space after extending Carlo and Hall then going out and signing Ullmark (5m), Haula (4.75m), and Foligno (3.8m)

It seems like the Rangers are just waiting for Eichel to force a trade.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I know Peter Fish was Chris Drury's agent, but what about Peter Donatelli? Let's check his bio.

quote:

Peter graduated from Boston University in 1998 where he was a Forward on numerous championship teams that included current NHL players Chris Drury, Jay Pandolfo, Mike Grier and Tom Poti.

I think the Rangers might be in on this.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The betting allegations against Kane seem like some petty nonsense that detract from serious allegations.

Kane was the team's leading scorer by a mile, this year. He's not the one starting the four goalies who all posted sub-.900 save percentages, who built a team around three defensemen in their 30s who are declining hard. How would a winger even throw a game?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The accusation says "throwing games" but it would be hilarious if a player made bets on their hits or PIM.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's like the Swiss Army Knife Penguins depth chart, later the gently caress COREY PERRY Corey Perry rear end in a top hat chart.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Texas Stars are the worst team in the AHL to play for. Their nearest opponent is the Iowa Wild, who are 900 miles and a 13.5 hour drive away. Their division also includes Illinois' Rockford Ice Hogs and Chicago Wolves (17+ hours), Milwaukee Admirals (18+ hours), Grand Rapids Griffins (19+ hours), and the Manitoba Moose (22 hours.) I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to "wait their turn" while taking those bus rides, although I guess there's more to it than that, considering Mascherin is from Ontario and just signed with a club in northern Sweden.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

do they really do bus rides or in those circumstances do they just fly

I seriously can't imagine they just drive...

AHL teams have sleeper buses. Here's a few articles about it, over the years.

2019: https://theathletic.com/935005/2019/05/02/life-in-the-ahl-may-lack-the-perks-but-can-be-a-road-to-the-nhl/

2013: https://thehockeywriters.com/a-glimpse-inside-pro-hockey-travel-ahl-style/

2007: https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/on-the-road-again/c-450921

This has also been the reason a lot of players not from the US/Canada will go back home to play rather than play in the NHL, and the teams in the northeast have a bit of an advantage in this regard, though obviously even the Rangers had players leave Hartford recently.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

I've ordered the Ovi Special from Mamma Lucia. It's chicken parm with literally four different sauces. Alfredo, meat, tomato, and mushroom marsala. And a salad and a pizza. He is truly the anti-MacKinnon.

That's incredible and I want to try it.

Vince Wilfork used to have a signature sub at Big Y (New England grocery store) that was basically a loaf of Italian bread with a full pound of meat on it plus a buncha other stuf.f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJubeCll_r0

The pizza commercial is funnier, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdcnCdjtHM

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nurse has a no movement clause for the first five years, then submits a ten-team trade list in the last three.

I get why Edmonton needs to keep him, and I know there's an Edmonton tax since it's not the most desirably city to be a millionaire in, but oh man, signing a defenseman to a massive contract like that after a shortened season where he had a super high shooting percentage is pretty funny.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

That's quite a contract for a guy coming off of a historically bad season. The last comparable was Dan Cloutier's 06-07 season with the Kings, where he posted a 3.98 GAA and .860 save percentage in 24 games, along with 21 PIM. Hart was 3.57/.877 in 27 games this year, with only two PIM.

If we up the requirement to 27 games, the last goalie season that bad was Brian Boucher for the Flyers in 2000-01.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Unless Buffalo is offering that 8-year, $80m extension it has been suggested he wants.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Wonder where that clown ended up...

About a hundred fifty picks off the board.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Rangers signed Shesterkin to a four-year extension.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-igor-shesterkin/c-325933136

e: Looks like 4x5.65m

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1424809468697661446

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think the deal with Shesterkin is that they watched him for five years in the KHL after drafting him, then another 25 games in the AHL, so they have a pretty good idea of where he's at.

Or maybe they just expect him to be 33% better than Carter Hart.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think the way RFA rules work is that he'd have to be 27 on July 1 of a year to be eligible for trade protection, so the first two years can't have a NMC/NTC.

That being said, he's absolutely the Rangers goalie of the future.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I wonder how much of the Kane drama is just him clashing with certain aspects of hockey culture. There's some issues that he's had on multiple teams and he's a magnet for bad press, but a lot of this seems like it's probably overblown.

Dress codes? With two teams now? Seriously, who cares? Dustin Byfuglien, for sure...

Arguing with their power play coach? Their power play was 29th in the league at 14% last year, I can see why the guy who scored 14 PPGs last year might get frustrated with that. Next best on their team was 5, then 3, yet that power play was still a few percent below league average. It's no wonder players were frustrated.

Gambling on games? I don't know how a forward is supposed to throw a game, never mind the team's leading scorer. He must've told their four goalies that they should stop less than nine of every ten shots.

GM Doug Wilson said "To be honest with you, I don’t know if there’s locker room issues. I’m OK when guys are frustrated when we don’t make the playoffs. None of us should be happy."

Who are these anonymous players who don't want to be on the team with him next year, whose specific problem is their leading scorer and not the rest of the team playing like poo poo? Who are these "key players" on this team that looks like it should be blown up? Some old defensemen signed until the end of time? Logan Couture, who made up dubious claims of being sucker punched in public? Yeah, now that I think about it, it's probably Logan Couture...

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

FBS posted:

It's probably just that time he shaved "YMCMB" into his hair

"Young Money Cash Money Billionaires"

Yeah, it must be his personal finance skills.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Git and intangibles.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/rangers-fans-buy-billboard-in-buffalo-to-urge-sabres-to-trade-jack-eichel

The URL says it all.

"Aren't trade requests a pain in the neck?"

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Farewell to the King, who was the star of many lackluster Rangers teams for years. It's a shame he never won a cup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

RIP to one of the Ranger greats.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wow, that's sad. Too young to go. :(

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kane is one of those guys who would've been idolized in an earlier era, when super-aggressive power forwards were idolized, and hotheadedness was seen in a different light. 30 goals (top 40) while leading the league in PIM. 26 goals (top 30) while leading the league in PIM for a second years in a row. 23rd in the league in goals the year after that, when his team in points, and goals for the second year in a row. Old-tyme hockey GMs would've loved that.

Plenty of poo poo has been covered up, too, but this dude is something else. He paid a woman to have an abortion, got her pregnant again, paid her to have another abortion, then got her pregnant a third time and claims he changed his mind about paying her to have a third abortion before she sent him proof that it was done, while he happened to be going bankrupt due to poor financial decision-making? Talk about not learning from your mistakes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'm just amazed that both people involved did the same thing three times, and it only went "wrong" because one of them couldn't pay the $2-3m he promised.