Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I gave up on siren for the ps2 for being stressful because I would spend like 5 minutes crouching in the dark hiding and then take one step and a monster man would find me and make me cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Reaverbot posted:

I gave up on siren for the ps2 for being stressful because I would spend like 5 minutes crouching in the dark hiding and then take one step and a monster man would find me and make me cry

Yeah it's a pretty stressful game and unlike most survival horror games it's like 20 hours long.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Reaverbot posted:

Same story for me but Alien Isolation

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

I've started Pathologic 2 and gotten through the first 2 days 3 times now and never stuck with it. I love the writing and world building but it's all way too stressful and I feel like I have too many responsibilities and it's just like the video game version of the responsibilities I'm trying to ignore with game time. I should just accept I'm never gonna be in the right headspace to play it and just watch a longplay so I can enjoy the setting and story.

I uninstalled it after 5 minutes because it would pause to load for 10-15 seconds every 30 feet as soon as I got outdoors.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i remembered that i gave up on american mcgee's alice way back when i played it. the high concept appealed to me as a teenager, but then i got to the part where you have to swim and the swimming was excruciating enough to make me realize that i wasn't really enjoying it at all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

I've started Pathologic 2 and gotten through the first 2 days 3 times now and never stuck with it. I love the writing and world building but it's all way too stressful and I feel like I have too many responsibilities and it's just like the video game version of the responsibilities I'm trying to ignore with game time. I should just accept I'm never gonna be in the right headspace to play it and just watch a longplay so I can enjoy the setting and story.

I don't really want to spoil the "magic" of Pathologic because it does such an incredible job of building atmosphere, dread and desperation but literally all of that is a smokescreen and it's possible to just yolo around the town lol, all the difficulty comes from being hesitant

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Pathologic 2 is a game that I got decently far in on my second run and really would like to finish, but the time management mechanics are so brutal that it feels like you need a couple failed practice runs just to figure out the optimal way to keep yourself in enough food and organs to even do an average job at it. I wish I could have more of a "come what may" attitude about the game in the vein of loving up rolls or doing stupid but in-character crap like in Disco Elysium, but the game punishes you pretty hard for that. I know they put in adjustable difficulty settings but that feels like giving up part of the tension of balancing your character's needs and keeping people alive, which is compelling but also makes me burn out

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

welcome posted:

I uninstalled it after 5 minutes because it would pause to load for 10-15 seconds every 30 feet as soon as I got outdoors.

Try the PS4 port lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Try the PS4 port lol

it's even worse for that

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

welcome posted:

That's farther than I got. My graphics card basically only gives me a few frames per second so now I just have it on the back burner until the graphics card market unfucks itself.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Being given a context to think about Pathologic and Star Control 2 at the same time has really highlighted a lot of ways they're incredibly similar for me in terms of like, having a time mechanic that is actually hard if you don't know what you should be doing, having lots of stuff you can do that is a waste of time but you won't know that until it's too late, spending most of your time just travelling, etc

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Being given a context to think about Pathologic and Star Control 2 at the same time has really highlighted a lot of ways they're incredibly similar for me in terms of like, having a time mechanic that is actually hard if you don't know what you should be doing, having lots of stuff you can do that is a waste of time but you won't know that until it's too late, spending most of your time just travelling, etc

It almost ends up feeling like it should've been a time loop game at times because it's so easy on your first run to end up in a complete failure state where you don't have enough resources to keep yourself alive while also doing anything you're supposed to be. The advice should probably be "go in on your first Pathologic 2 run knowing you're going to hit a failure point, so take the time to soak in the setting and figure out the mechanics and then go full-bore optimal man on your second run," but again I wish the game was a bit more fluid around failures and wasted time which is something newer games have really started to figure out

Edit: Maybe this feeling would be alleviated if the game had the other two characters from 1, which means you'd essentially play the game three times through anyway

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Squashing Machine posted:

It almost ends up feeling like it should've been a time loop game at times because it's so easy on your first run to end up in a complete failure state where you don't have enough resources to keep yourself alive while also doing anything you're supposed to be. The advice should probably be "go in on your first Pathologic 2 run knowing you're going to hit a failure point, so take the time to soak in the setting and figure out the mechanics and then go full-bore optimal man on your second run," but again I wish the game was a bit more fluid around failures and wasted time which is something newer games have really started to figure out

Edit: Maybe this feeling would be alleviated if the game had the other two characters from 1, which means you'd essentially play the game three times through anyway

Imagine Phil Connors beating Groundhog Day on his first attempt. That poo poo aint gonna happen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squashing Machine posted:

I believe in IPL. Bachelor and Chaneling are coming any day now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I thought for a while "maybe Sonic Forces will border on enjoyable if I try to get all the Red Rings because boy do I love collecting trinkets" but I had a moment of zen and clarity instead and deleted that piece of poo poo from my hard drive

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

In Training posted:

I believe in IPL. Bachelor and Chaneling are coming any day now.

I want to believe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'm about to pull the plug on Dragon Quest 11. Maybe old school RPGs aren't for me anymore or maybe playing Nocturne and FF7 Remake have spoiled me

Popping back in to say thanks for pushing me to keep playing. Stopped for a while to beat Returnal but I'm just about 35% of the way through now and it's far far better than the first 10 hours or so. Thanks again

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone else give up on Total War: Three Kingdoms? I loved Shogun 1 and 2 and Medieval 1 and 2 (Napoleon/Empire was fine, skipped the Romes). I have never sunk so much time into a game only to perpetually have it kick my rear end and waste hours of campaigning, both with Cao Cao and whoever the guy that’s tarts in the south is. I’ve read guides on how to make the most of the new politics system, etc, but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Am I just lovely now or is it much harder than the others?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Popping back in to say thanks for pushing me to keep playing. Stopped for a while to beat Returnal but I'm just about 35% of the way through now and it's far far better than the first 10 hours or so. Thanks again

Thank you for doing yourself the favor of playing dqxi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

blk posted:

Anyone else give up on Total War: Three Kingdoms? I loved Shogun 1 and 2 and Medieval 1 and 2 (Napoleon/Empire was fine, skipped the Romes). I have never sunk so much time into a game only to perpetually have it kick my rear end and waste hours of campaigning, both with Cao Cao and whoever the guy that’s tarts in the south is. I’ve read guides on how to make the most of the new politics system, etc, but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Am I just lovely now or is it much harder than the others?

No, 3k is the best one imo. Start with sun jian and learn how to strategically make your buildings to focus on the strength of the commandery. Kill everyone else in the south and you can become invincible. The politics system is very awesome and theres no weird stuff to learn because the ai will respond in realistic ways. Ignore spies for now. Unless you're on very hard I don't know how you can lose that.