Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I mentioned this in the LP Discord, but I just finished watching #10 and I can't get over the fact that Donnie's great plan was to jack four Raycasters. Those things are a dime a dozen anywhere in the city! :psyduck:

Also fun fact, that pier where the car was pushed off is where Playa later ambushes Donnie in #2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 13: Kingdom Come

Hey, we finally got to the Johnny Gat factory! It's time to tackle the Vice Kings in what is quite easily the best of the gang mission chains in the original Saints Row - not that the bar is set especially high.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 14: Pretenders to the Throne

More dissension among the Vice Kings ranks as the Playa and Gat cause some mayhem (while very poorly disguised) to get the police's attention on the Kings. Speaking of Gat, this is the first time we really see him in action and... well... we're not very impressed just yet.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 23, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The commentary is weird overlapping during the ride back to the church during the first mission.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
This mission reminds me of the problem I have with Tanya - whenever she speaks (and especially when she’s pouting in the limo) I can only hear Meg Griffin.
Which makes it very hard to take her seriously!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cooked Auto posted:

The commentary is weird overlapping during the ride back to the church during the first mission.
Oh, dammit. I gotta fix that.

edit: Yeah, I redid a few parts of the commentary, and the timing somehow got hosed up despite the fact I could swear I had them set up properly. I took down the video and will upload a corrected version shortly.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 23, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Zaroff posted:

This mission reminds me of the problem I have with Tanya - whenever she speaks (and especially when she’s pouting in the limo) I can only hear Meg Griffin.
Which makes it very hard to take her seriously!

Agreed. I only played this game once, but every time I heard her talk, I found myself wishing someone would say "Shut Up, Meg!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Reupload with corrected audio is up, 360p only at the moment but it should get around to processing eventually. I've replaced the links in the update post accordingly.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey, someone actually does tell Tanya to shut up in this video.

Haven’t really noticed the election up until now, honestly. Maybe it will be important later?

Uh, Warren, you are aware that a gun held loosely with the safety on, is no power at all, right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Of course it's Troy's crew who show up to throw a wrench in the already ramshackle plan, and they manage to loose sight of a slower and less agile vehicle which sticks out like a sore thumb too. Complete morons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Of course it's Troy's crew who show up to throw a wrench in the already ramshackle plan, and they manage to loose sight of a slower and less agile vehicle which sticks out like a sore thumb too. Complete morons.

Speaking of which, wasn't Troy supposed to be our mission contact for the Vice Kings? And keeping an eye on Gat? He's not exactly living up to his job

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't Troy supposed to be our mission contact for the Vice Kings? And keeping an eye on Gat? He's not exactly living up to his job
Julius assigned him as our Vice Kings contact, but Troy refused to have anything to do with the Vice Kings for some reason so we got Gat instead. Julius said he was gonna keep an eye on Gat, but... yeah, Gat's gonna Gat.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Considering what they try and turn Gat into in later games, I found what happened to him this episode to be really funny.

And the Playa once again walks into a room and gets hit in the back of the head by someone who was hiding behind the door. I'm getting Farcry 3 flashbacks here.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i kept thinking tanya's va was mila kunis.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NinetySevenA posted:

i kept thinking tanya's va was mila kunis.
She is

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 15: Return of the King

Guys, I don't think the Vice Kings are fine after all. :ohdear:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The kings are dead, long live the kings.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Saint: Just say the word

Playa: (well poo poo)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I really wish they'd given Tanya some proper clothes for her final appearance. Or in general. I get that she was a hooker, but did she really have to go around dressed like a working girl all the time?

This series has issues with women, and Tanya still wearing lingerie after taking over the Vice Kings sits particularly poorly with me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Cythereal posted:

I really wish they'd given Tanya some proper clothes for her final appearance. Or in general. I get that she was a hooker, but did she really have to go around dressed like a working girl all the time?

This series has issues with women, and Tanya still wearing lingerie after taking over the Vice Kings sits particularly poorly with me.

Yeah, the other management are all in suits, why isn't she dressed to match?

*In before someone tells us her outfit is actually fancy formal wear.*

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 16 (FINAL): Salting the Earth

The three main gangs are gone, and the 3rd Street Saints rule the streets of Stilwater. But weren't we just supposed to clean up the streets? What do we do once that's done? Well, let's just finish up some odds and ends for that 100% completion (as well as show off some stuff that isn't part of 100%), then we can go get Julius back from police custody and figure out what to do next. We have all the time in the world.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations on finishing the game, thanks for the LP.

I was disappointed with the ending, but it fits the game, I guess. In the end, Keith David denied us everything, even our revenge.

At least, until the sequel. :D

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
RIP Playa, eating Freckle Bitches in heaven.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
When this came out, was it said whether this was intended to be a final end to the Playa, or were they already thinking about SR2?

While they clearly wrote around it in the next game, that ending seems like it was intended to be permanent...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Zaroff posted:

When this came out, was it said whether this was intended to be a final end to the Playa, or were they already thinking about SR2?

While they clearly wrote around it in the next game, that ending seems like it was intended to be permanent...
SR1's development was by most accounts a huge clusterfuck, and according to Volition a lot of the team hated working on the game until it started to kinda come together. I don't think a sequel was necessarily in the plans until the sales numbers came in, although of course they did leave some loose ends just in case.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 30, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised this game did well enough to get a sequel. Seems like a mostly unremarkable GTA clone.

Thanks for the LP!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised this game did well enough to get a sequel. Seems like a mostly unremarkable GTA clone.

Thanks for the LP!
Thanks for watching!

And yeah, I think Saints Row kinda came out at the exact right time to make a splash. The Xbox 360 had been out for less than a year and didn't have that many heavy hitters yet, so a competent HD GTA clone with some fun mechanics and quality of life improvements was just what the doctor ordered for a lot of folks, especially since GTA IV was still a ways off and hadn't even been properly revealed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

For how... abrupt the ending is, I actually really like it. Thoughts below:

All game Julius is portrayed as wanting to clean up the streets, not rule them. It's how he gets introduced, and it gets expanded pretty heavily in all his history/interactions with King in the vice kings section. I actually really like that the player, like the Playa, fails to consider that there was still one gang left(2 if you count stillwater's very corrupt cops). There's little hints he'll pull the bombing; enough to look obvious in retrospect, but not tip you off at the time.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Woo, you finally showed off Zombie Lin! I couldn't remember if she showed up in SR1 or SR2 so I'd been waiting to see.

FoolyCharged posted:

For how... abrupt the ending is, I actually really like it. Thoughts below:

All game Julius is portrayed as wanting to clean up the streets, not rule them. It's how he gets introduced, and it gets expanded pretty heavily in all his history/interactions with King in the vice kings section. I actually really like that the player, like the Playa, fails to consider that there was still one gang left(2 if you count stillwater's very corrupt cops). There's little hints he'll pull the bombing; enough to look obvious in retrospect, but not tip you off at the time.

Julius' explanation in SR2 is extremely dissatisfying though, for reasons I won't get into until we get there.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 30, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Feels like they didn't really do anything with Troy being an undercover cop in the end. He's, what, a minor nuisance in one of the Vice Kings missions? Aside from not wanting to be tackling that gang in the first place (presumably because his fellow cops were in deep with them) that's the only real indication he has any conflict of interests, and nothing particularly set up that the Saints were being betrayed from within. That whole epilogue feels a bit rushed to me.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

That and in the manual his entry is basically a police report.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've always liked the ending to this game. It's really the only definitive way to close out this story. You were a useful instrument, but there was no way that someone like you could be part of Julius's plans long-term. The only bit that doesn't really work is that Gat survived. But maybe Julius had the same sort of sentimental attachment to him as to Ben King, so the plan was for him to be arrested all along.

Cythereal posted:

Despite how broken Saints Row was, it still improved on the most recent GTA game at the time in a bunch of ways. And even if it looked like just another GTA, there was definitely room for a direct competitor. For a lot of people, if you'd said "there's a game that's exactly like GTA, but a new city and a new story" that would have been enough to get them to buy it. Add a few improvements and some unique mini-games and it would be surprising if it hadn't done well enough to get a sequel.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Woo, you finally showed off Zombie Lin! I couldn't remember if she showed up in SR1 or SR2 so I'd been waiting to see.
They don't start bringing back dead characters from previous games until SR4.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I've always liked the ending to this game. It's really the only definitive way to close out this story. You were a useful instrument, but there was no way that someone like you could be part of Julius's plans long-term. The only bit that doesn't really work is that Gat survived. But maybe Julius had the same sort of sentimental attachment to him as to Ben King, so the plan was for him to be arrested all along.

Agreed. For all the violence and mayhem Gat created in life, he deserves an apparent violent death at some point in the future followed by a long period of imprisonment and an extended journey through Hell.

Which, if you follow the series, is exactly what he gets. :D

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Agreed. For all the violence and mayhem Gat created in life, he deserves an apparent violent death at some point in the future followed by a long period of imprisonment and an extended journey through Hell.

Which, if you follow the series, is exactly what he gets. :D

Followed by being reincarnated as a cop in a timeline where the Saints never exist.

Did anyone else play Agents of Mayhem?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Quiet Python posted:

I picked it up a few months after release, at a heavy discount. It was excessively repetitive (even more so at launch - I played it after they'd patched the "you lose your properties when you go to the HQ and have to retake them every time you return to the city" thing to be a bit less punishing) and mostly unfunny, but there were some decently fun characters and setpieces in there and the combat was pretty solid. It was just way, way too repetitive for its own good, especially with almost all side missions taking you to basically identical Legion lairs to fight the same masked dudes in armor over and over and over and over again (those snipers, by the way, can gently caress right off) and collect underwhelming loot.

I don't know much about AoM's actual development so I may be completely wrong here, but from playing the game I got the idea that it didn't have much of a budget to begin with, and what it did have ran out long before the game was finished. It's nowhere near the worst thing I've ever played, but I don't know what AoM's target audience was supposed to be in the first place and I was not at all surprised the game bombed as hard as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Quiet Python posted:

I tried to. I found the learning curve pretty insane. You kind of have to learn to play (at least) three characters at once and switch between them repeatedly, and some of them have very different abilities mapped to the same controls. So I kept using the wrong ability because I forgot which character I was playing or I got two characters' control schemes mixed up. There were also abilities that seemed very similar to each other but worked differently so I'd forget which one was which and do the wrong one. And there's different upgrade paths for different things and different characters, which just adds to the confusion. And it doesn't really ease you into any of it, it's all there right from the beginning. You get thrown straight in the deep end and left to figure it out. It seemed like there was some potential for fun buried in there, but getting to it was just too frustrating.