Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the series got a bit too silly around the time the entire earth gets destroyed.

Three manages to straddle the line fairly effectively, I think. The luchadores are definitely the silliest gang concept but Killbane pulls enough story weight to make it feel just enough like it works. Don't know if it would have helped for that game to have had its three gangs be more properly separate.
...but I guess I should save Saint's Row 3 opinions for when you actually get to that game. For now, still funny to see this game and thing we're only two sequels away from Professor Genki's Reality Climax.

I don't think I mind the languages not being translated. Generally it's clear from context what they're talking about and a bit of a bonus if you understand enough spanish to actually know the dialogue. You don't miss out on anything by not knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's my low-key favourite improvement the Saint's Row series made over GTA - once you've stashed a car you don't have to take care to return it to your garage any time you take it out. You can spend a bunch of time and money customising a great car with all the conveniences, and be able to regularly use it!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Probably most pertinent to what's come up in the LP, the trailer looks grounded. There's plenty of flair and silliness, which is good, but the street gang (The Pantheros, I think it said?) looked like a legit gang and not rodeo clowns or something.

And pour one out for IdolNinja.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The whole infiltration plot is kind of weird, really. Lin is absolutely terrible at it and only manages to get anything because Donnie is such a mark. Feels like they came at it from the perspectice that the Rollerz mission chain will be about the Saints having a mole in them and you're working with/around her, without considering whether these characters would actually get themselves into that situation. Whose idea was it to put the grumpy hothead in charge of earning people's trust.

And I'm still not sure how the Playa made it out of that but not Lin? One shot they're both stuck in the car, the next the Playa swims to the surface.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'm confused as to what the Rollers are even supposed to be doing. Stuff previous to this has suggested that they're a street racing gang, but apparently they're getting bankrolled by a guy who lives in a mansion because ???

Looks like they're also trafficking in cars in general? The operations the Saints disrupted there involved stealing a bunch of car parts to fulfil some sort of order.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, the Rollerz feel pretty small-time compared to the Carnales. We really don't mess many of their operations, they never really manage to come out in force during the plot, and it doesn't take all that much to take them down. The game never says it but they feel like a couple of rich guys that gathered some local thugs and tuners to run their less-than-legal vehicle business, compared to the Carnales feeling much more like a well-established drug cartel, whose members have been part of it for most of their lives and are able to bring some serious force when they need to. It's pretty neat, honestly.

I wonder how the Vice Kings will compare.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Of course it's Troy's crew who show up to throw a wrench in the already ramshackle plan, and they manage to loose sight of a slower and less agile vehicle which sticks out like a sore thumb too. Complete morons.

Speaking of which, wasn't Troy supposed to be our mission contact for the Vice Kings? And keeping an eye on Gat? He's not exactly living up to his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Feels like they didn't really do anything with Troy being an undercover cop in the end. He's, what, a minor nuisance in one of the Vice Kings missions? Aside from not wanting to be tackling that gang in the first place (presumably because his fellow cops were in deep with them) that's the only real indication he has any conflict of interests, and nothing particularly set up that the Saints were being betrayed from within. That whole epilogue feels a bit rushed to me.