Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Please. I live next to a horse paddock, and somehow the appalling things find their way in. They are driving me slowly mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How about a Venus fly trap?

Or one of those spinny bois

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
(These are US products so may not be helpful if you’re not in the US.) Greenway Traps makes excellent insect traps, in my experience: their Window Fly Trap is very effective, but the downside is looking at dead flies on your window.

Or you could try something like the DynaTrap Dot, which has the advantage of the flies not being visible until you have to change the trap.

Outside fly traps are way more effective (they use lure chemicals that aren’t a good idea indoors), so if this were me, I would combine both methods. Victor and Rescue are the top names in outdoor fly traps.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This is what I do. I take a clean large plastic cup, fill it halfway with water ( add some sugar if you have it).
Put a few drops of liquid soap in it.
Then cover with a baggie. Cut a small hole in the baggie. Set it outside near your door.
In a few days there will be hundreds of dead flies

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

joebuddah posted:

This is what I do. I take a clean large plastic cup, fill it halfway with water ( add some sugar if you have it).
Then cover with a baggie. Cut a small hole in the baggie. Set it outside near your door.

There are old timey fly traps that basically work like this, but I think they used vinegar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There are old timey fly traps that basically work like this, but I think they used vinegar.

When I made these to get rid of fruit flies I used a combo of sugar and fruit vinegar. Did the trick.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mobby_6kl posted:

How about a Venus fly trap?

A Venus flytrap isn't actually that efficient at trapping flies, but if you have a very sunny windowsill or are willing to set up some artificial lights you can genuinely kill quite a few flies with sundew plants. The most efficient/easy to grow species are definitely Drosera capensis and Drosera binata. Full disclosure, I sell carnivorous plants professionally, but if you're interested shoot me a PM and I could help you figure out if it would work for you.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Efficiency notwithstanding I recommend the most 'fun' way of dealing with the problem:

https://www.bugasalt.com/

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

joebuddah posted:

This worked for me with fruit flies (though we used apple cider vinegar instead of water), but if OP is talking about big rear end horsefiles I’m not sure if the same trick will still work

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DandyLion posted:

Efficiency notwithstanding I recommend the most 'fun' way of dealing with the problem:

https://www.bugasalt.com/

I can confirm this is the most fun version of the venerable fly swatter.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

SamDabbers posted:

I can confirm this is the most fun version of the venerable fly swatter.

would recommend the laser red dot addon, improves my kill to shots ratio dramatically even at close range.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If these are full sized flies, I’ve had the best success using a bug zapper indoors with the lights off.

If they’re on your monitor, put the bug zapper in another room. And leave a clear pathway for them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tektolnes posted:

would recommend the laser red dot addon, improves my kill to shots ratio dramatically even at close range.

I keep a squirt bottle full of olive oil in my kitchen for various purposes, but I have discovered that even a little bit of oil on a flying insect creates a ground-only walking insect. Now, this can lead to pain in the rear end cleanup, but a good squirt will easily disable even the wiliest fly that seems to avoid all of your flyswatter swings. Also works on wasps.

felixdrkmessnger
Sep 12, 2019
Something I did to handle flies was a fly strip, and then I used a homemade trap with a mason jar, cling wrap, and apple cider vinegar. Worked super well, too

Borlorg
Jul 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Fly strips like these work wonders. Anytime I see them hanging inside a store or restaurant, they are covered with flies, which is disgusting enough on its own, but that does not take away from their effectiveness.

https://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Strip...960693912&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yesterday I went gung ho on about 12 little bastards flying around my house carrying my vacuum in one hand and the hose attachment in the other. It was pretty darn satisfying.