Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Everyone just posting in the airgun megathread instead of making threads eliminates the point of this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

We're not going to close the airgun thread, but you've hit on something that's a larger tension through the entirety of the forums, TFR and beyond.

Megathreads are a blessing and a curse. Way too many people stick to their bookmarked megathreads and never venture out, which leads to a whole lot of insular sub-communities and threads that end up reading like a shittier version of a discord room. However, bookmarks also give people a convenient way to participate in a huge swath of subjects across the forums. I check the actual TFR forum every day to see if there are any new threads, but I don't look at GBS or A/T etc all that much. Still, I like reading the OSHA thread and the MilHist thread and a bunch of other threads where I'm curious about the specific topic, but I don't care to dive into the larger forum that it's embedded in.\

My solution in TFR has been to actively curate poo poo, and shamelessly cross-link interesting threads in the related megathreads that might have interested people. When McNally posts an effort thread about a musket I get it some extra eyeballs by throwing a link in the milsurp thread, when some newbie makes a box thread or starts a thread about a problem they're having I'll try to cross-post that in the general thread or the questions thread, etc.

As far as I'm concerned you (or anyone else who cares to) are more than welcome to do the same thing. Be the change you want to see in the world. Make a thread about why Feinwerkbau is the best air gun company in the world (hit: it has to do with where they're located), cross link it in the airgun thread to get some traction, and see if you can make it take off. Post a thread about making targets for backyard plinking, or about how to change old leather seals in antique guns, or anything else you care to. If you see someone else post a cool thread that's languishing because everyone is hanging out in the megathread, spam it with that link and tell people to click that poo poo.

I would legit love to see that kind of community building around here. Nothing could make me happier than seeing a dozen new threads in here tomorrow populated with a bunch of people talking about pellet guns and paintball poo poo and everything else pneumatic and shooty. In that perfect world I'd love to see the airgun thread transform into a general bullshit thread for airgun nerds. I'd embrace that kind of change.

But I can't make that content myself, and absent that I'm not going to shut down the place that people are having those conversations right now. Still, I'll say it right now: if you have ideas, if you want to make some threads, if you need some stickies or promotion in larger TFR for similar but not-gunpowder topics to be blasted over there (say, a thread on milsurp air guns, which I happen to own one because I'm me), go hog wild. If it's something mod tools are needed for I'm happy to help, if it's something that just requires someone shouting "hey assholes look over here" you've got my blessing to try and drum up some interest.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I can deal with that. I check actual TFR all the time, but outside of that I'm guilty of only reading threads that someone else links to me or I already have bookmarked.

Since this thread is now useless, I'll just use this spot to point out that there's a year old autoban still hanging around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yeah usually that poo poo just drifts off to archives but well . . .

Iíll see about sending it somewhere in the near ish future.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I'm helping!

- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975028
- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975035

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 30, 2021