Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

not really a spider expert, but i think this is either a dark or a white-banded fishing spider. she was fuckin huge!

found her at my job in front of the front door, brought it home and let it go near the swamp near my house so no jerks would freak out and squish it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Came a cross a group of beetles doing... something while on a hike. Located in the cascade mountains, near Mt Rainier.

Also a gray jay.

Heard an elk, but never saw it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Any guesses on this guy? I thought it was a squirrel at first, it was rooting around and acting just like one. But it has no tail whatsoever. Not even a stump. So I thought maybe a groundhog or something but that doesn't seem right either.

Probably just a squirrel born without one?

Sorry about the image quality I had my phone zoomed in to the max, I didn't want to scare it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's Squirrel Nutkin after his escape from Old Brown.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Treecko posted:

Any guesses on this guy? I thought it was a squirrel at first, it was rooting around and acting just like one. But it has no tail whatsoever. Not even a stump. So I thought maybe a groundhog or something but that doesn't seem right either.

Probably just a squirrel born without one?

Sorry about the image quality I had my phone zoomed in to the max, I didn't want to scare it.

We call them mountain boomers here. Really not sure if that helps at all.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The first picture was really big and i thought it was a capybara

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It does have that look to it. The coloration is just like the common squirrels around here in Central Iowa though.

...now I hope I didn't leave someone's escaped guinea pig out in the park

Eh, no that can't be it. The ears are too prominent. I'm stumped.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 28, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Treecko posted:

It does have that look to it. The coloration is just like the common squirrels around here in Central Iowa though.

...now I hope I didn't leave someone's escaped guinea pig out in the park

Eh, no that can't be it. The ears are too prominent. I'm stumped.

That head shape looks like a nutria to me, but I have no idea if they are in your area or not, and they're usually a lot bigger than squirrels.

I love corvids in general, but gray jays are one of my favorites. All jays are capable of making nice noises, but in my experience only gray jays actually sound nice most of the time, instead of once in a blue moon. I've heard scrub jays sing, and Steller's kind of chuckle to themselves, but like I said, it is super rare.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This is a squirrel. Some squirrels don't have tails for whatever reason, maybe an eagle bit it off.

Whenever I see one I always imagine they're pretending to be rabbits in the yard.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

not really a spider expert, but i think this is either a dark or a white-banded fishing spider.

White bandeds often have a white mustache line on the face so I’m confident calling that one Dolomedes tenebrosus

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murdstone posted:

Pictures of jumping spiders cured me of my arachnophobia.

Pretty much, at least. A big old wolf spider will still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Jumping spiders are cute, it's cellar spiders that are "burn down the entire apartment building"-worthy.

And people fault me for not being outdoorsy. :rolleyes:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's a critter alright

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I say these fine friends qualify

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A new garden friend showed up today. Not a common visitor here:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, how lucky!

Smugworth posted:

It's a critter alright

hugs please

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

A new garden friend showed up today. Not a common visitor here:

She pragnet.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

McGavin posted:

She pragnet.

I was wondering that. I would be so pumped if she chose to lay some eggs in my plot.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Man, that reminds me, is anyone here still hatching oothecae in their gardens? If so, what site do you recommend for getting my own next year?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Does anyone know what species this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-ux9gM-p8&t=120s

(I thought the thumbnail was fake, it isn't.)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bula Vinaka posted:

Does anyone know what species this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-ux9gM-p8&t=120s

(I thought the thumbnail was fake, it isn't.)

What makes you think that it's real?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Oh poo poo I guess it's CGI... it fooled me. :P

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bula Vinaka posted:

Oh poo poo I guess it's CGI... it fooled me. :P

It’s roughly modeled after one of the large Scolopendra species, S gigantea or subspinipes.

The former can get over a foot long so in centipede terms they /are/ loving gigantic

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:argh:

I count 6 or so new swallowtails :toot:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 30, 2021

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Never thought about hornworms having good camouflage but if I were a bird on the wing I can definitely see myself missing the one in the middle shot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I work from home mostly now, and yesterday afternoon I was working in the bedroom and a Steller's jay thought I should be giving them peanuts, so it came to the window and peered at me meaningfully. I couldn't help myself but to run out and throw a handful in the planter for it - luckily I was on the phone at the time and not in a video conference.

Since I was in a different room than usual I take it as additional evidence the jays recognize me personally, and it's not just the presence of someone in my living room that makes them think it's peanut time.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

The second one has great camo, but .. So, is there a critter in the first pic, or is that the point?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's evidence of the critter in the second pic's crime spree.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Slimy critter:

Helped another critter across the road. Only just saw it as I was starting to go down a big hill on my bike. It rained this afternoon but it is nice and brisk this evening so they were pretty sluggish.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Saw this little guy while out on a walk

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Friendly neighborhood rabid wolf spider, one of my favorites.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Coming home the other night there was someone on a neighbors porch eating cat food

On my own porch was a hungry lad(y?):

And today she either was still there or came back, but rather irate about me going in and out while doing yard work:

I was happy to see snake friends, though they weren't too pleased to have me interrupt nap (or potentially shedding time? The tail is whitish):

The other two snakes took off before I could get a decent photo, sadly. Hopefully that's tasty...mice? Around, not sure what these guys eat.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

She pragnet.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Speaking of pragnet:
Check out this mama wolf spider covered in babies just outside my front door yesterday

When I first spotted them some of the babies scattered, but they came back. I tried to invite her inside but she was quite happy to stay there.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Same spot, the slugs were back, but appeared to have been interrupted by a large cockroach.

I don't like to judge but, gross.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This has been stuck to my neighbor's garage for 5 days. I would rather not go in their yard for a better look, so this is the best I've got:

I assumed it was a cocoon since it's been there for days, but it really looks like a snail shell to me, and Google lense agrees (it identified it as a rosey wolfsnail). Are uh, snails known for sticking to one exact spot on a wall for 5 days straight? Surely if it was dead it would fall off the wall? Eastern NC.

Google lense btw is amazing for identifying stuff. Thanks to lense, you guys didn't need to identify a two lined spittle bug, milkweed assassin bug, or a copperhead for me.

Bonus copperhead picture, found on the beach on Shackleford Banks, NC.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Copperheads are so pretty <3

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Wolfsnails are predatory so it might be sleeping off a big meal I suppose. It totally could be dead though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've seen 3 geckos, two giant moths, a wolf spider and a big huntsman since I started reading this thread but every time I have rescued the critter to outside and THEN remembered I wanted to take a picture. This time was different, a couple of days ago one of the cats was being weird but we couldn't find anything that he'd possibly dropped. Today I found the little skink he'd brought in and lost, wandering lint covered under the bed. I couldn't catch it out in the open but it went into my wardrobe so I was able to corner it and container it for safety. My cats have access to an outdoor cat run and are contained, but somehow they still keep catching stuff and bringing it in. I'm going to release this guy on the opposite side of the yard to the cat run and hopefully he will stay safe. It's barely possible to see he's dropped and regrown his tail before so I think this one is a repeat visitor to my house.

This is a Lampropholis guichenoti or Common Garden Skink.

Ok I could be wrong, the gift that Santa cat brought could have also been this guy, that I just found in my laundry pile thankfully before it ended up in the machine.

This one is a Heteronotia binoei, Bynoe's gecko, or prickly gecko. Tail unfortunately did not survive, but as with the skink it will grow back. I got fooled when searching for this one "geckos of SA" as the body pattern is so similar to Pachydactylus capensis - but I live in the other SA, South Australia not South Africa. These local geckos have clawed toes, not climbing pads but it doesn't stop them from being good climbers.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 5, 2021