Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
There are jumping spiders that are REALLY good at mimicking ants.

Here's one that's not native but has been introduced to Canada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmarachne_formicaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Tortoise beetle - Golden maybe? Didn't realize central Kentucky had these!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Various bugs chowing down on this mushroom. Another one in the yard is completely untouched, which makes me wonder if I should pick it up with the pooper scooper and toss it if it might be toxic. My dogs don't seem to show interest in mushrooms but better safe than sorry, right? Would bugs somehow know which ones are safe to eat and which aren't?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Leopard slugs!

(they're fuckin')

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I hate to follow up such pretty pictures with poop, but: whose poop? It's raining so it'll be a bit before I can say for sure but with the grass for scale I'd say these are almost mouse poop sized, so way too big for termite or carpenter ant frass, but definitely looks like it's composed of wood, right?. This is a next to a section of log that we use as a chair in the backyard. Had someone guess it was a dutch elm (and possibly died of dutch elm disease) before we had to take it down (if that helps).

Maybe beetle larvae? I have seen some extremely generic looking brown/black beetles crawling around on these logs.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Grabbed an actual item for scale and they're a LITTLE smaller than mouse poops but still too big to be frass for the usual suspects.

Speaking of there's a possible culprit in these shots but he seemed a little dessicated and didn't respond when poked with a grass blade.

https://imgur.com/a/Y97sJFd

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

1) I love when native species adapt to taking out invasive ones.
2) I both love animals that look like fossils AND find them a little spooky like they forgot they were supposed to evolve into something else.

I don't hate these pigeons exactly, but I wouldn't cry if the Cooper's hawk came back with some friends. There's a bit too many of them but at least they keep the grass clean. Seed doesn't have a chance to rot and if you watch them they seem really methodical about clearing the ground of food. Also, spot the one who maybe had a release dove stop to visit mom on his way home:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

vortmax posted:

I have some buzzing friends living on the side of the house! As long as I don't bother them they leave me alone. They're fun to watch

https://i.imgur.com/ST3zUtm.mp4

I have some on my back porch, they're not nearly so numerous though! The only time I ever saw one seem pissed was when it kept getting tangled in a cobweb and it still didn't generalize that to me.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Mak0rz posted:

Not my pic but someone posted this in a regional insect group I follow.

Could it... Could it be? :ohdear:

One of the hypotheses WAS that sad doot lost most of its hair for some reason, right? This absolutely could be the same species.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

We had the bird plague here in Kentucky too, only recently got the all-clear. Occasional cardinals but by far it's mostly European sparrows and pigeons.

Alarmingly few STARLINGS even, which is nuts. Have only seen a few juveniles with transitional plumage.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I clicked expecting a mated pair, but that's a whole flock! Wow!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Never thought about hornworms having good camouflage but if I were a bird on the wing I can definitely see myself missing the one in the middle shot.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Copperheads are so pretty <3

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I love bugs that look like they were created with a modded character creator.

"4x length legs mod by xXxNarutoxXx"

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I'm not good at identifying bellies but maybe a brown thrasher? I'm not 100% confident because the neck doesn't look quite right.

Where do your parents live?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Is that a goanna?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Hopefully that's a straggler, but if you see more - when I had a roach problem the things that helped most for me were sealing up all my pantry stuff air tight, cleaning up leaf litter around my house (they use it for highways) and sprinkling borax around all places they could get in. Just be careful it's not where any pets or kids you may have can get to it. If you free feed your pets, they won't like it, but you should consider moving to a fixed feeding schedule and be vigilant about cleaning up any spilled kibble / leftover wet food.

If it helps you, my mantra was "at least it's not bedbugs."

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Texas spiny lizard, I'm guessing? Looks like he's lost and regrown that tail before, he's got some battle damage there.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

My dad used to live in Arizona during the summer and despite all the venomous critters out there the javelina were the only things anyone really seemed afraid of.

Well, them and the jumping cholla.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Here in the US we have turkey vultures; your gweela there looks like a vulture turkey.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

When I got a remote-controlled outdoor camera I was worried the noise would spook the birds, but luckily it's quiet enough it hasn't.

HOWEVER, as I was creeping on this robin he stopped and stared right at the camera after I'd moved it, multiple times.

They have good enough hearing to hear the worms in the dirt so maybe he was able to hear it?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Almost forgot to post FATRAT that grazes on the fallen birdseed at night.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I read recently about those twisted tails confusing bat sonar. I love evolutionary arms races. (See also: garter snakes and rough-skinned newts)

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I love how easy it is to tell when you're looking at a boy rat. The grapes are just so out there.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Is that yellow stuff its pollen load? If so, why is it so smooth and shiny looking?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I remember camping somewhere either central or northern California where the mule deer knew what a potato chip bag opening sounded like and would come trotting over.

I also remember them being HUGE compared to the whitetails out here, but I was a kid so that could have been a matter of perspective.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Might be an invasive brown anole, Anolis sagrei. And a marsh rabbit? Not used to seeing such short ears on wild bunnies!

ETA: Whoops, page break, this was in response to Karl Hungus

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Are you in Virginia? Only asking because as I recall, Virginia is For Lubbers

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I believe they are nymphs of the Eastern Lubber grasshopper, the adults have less of a Tron vibe but have their own kind of razzle dazzle.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Is there also a bird in your flowerpot? I can't tell if it's real or not.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I wish I could have snagged video of it, but I saw two crane flies having sex and it was as awkward and frantic looking as you'd expect.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

My in-laws dogs cornered a groundhog and in the process of getting it safely out of the yard I understand why they're also called "whistle pigs." I thought they were tormenting a baby bird at first.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

The movement of the legs is so mesmerizing.

Also, it's totally going to steal your design out from under you.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Fungus gnat?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen those soldier beetles when they're NOT boning down.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

What a cool find! I've never seen a cricket like that before!

Nice geometrid (?) moth too!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

OMG they're so cute! My heart ; _ ;

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Those ducks/geese don't look like they were butchered at all, were they poached for being a nuisance or something? Or just someone being a sociopath?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Its little face is so ANGRY, it's adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

blight rhino posted:

How bad/lovely is it to try to buy Dragonfly Nymphs, and pray they stick around your flower bed?

I'd love to have just swarms of them outside my house, but I don't think that's an easy task to complete.

If you can add some kind of water feature to your yard, that's what will bring them in. My bird bath doesn't get visits (that I've seen, anyway) but I've seen tons at my neighbor's pool.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/lawn-garden/how-to/a9191/attract-dragonflies-to-your-yard-for-all-natural-pest-control-15724186/