Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Enos Shenk posted:

Reposting for the new thread.

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

Be so kind as to link that image instead of posting in-line, would you, please? :shobon:

Corvids are fascinating...you can't help thinking that was some kind of ritual for them. You sent me down a rabbit-hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYVFZnNl6s

I've been down that rabbit hole. I have some crows I feed in my yard, only about 5 or 6. They'll start cawing when I come outside the house to go to work, and sometimes they'll start cawing when my car pulls in after work, and I get out. They haven't been around in a while, but they're crazy awesome. If they pick up a peanut from the grass they'll walk over to the sidewalk, hold it down and jam their beak into it.

I also noticed that they tend to stay on the sidewalk instead of walking into the lawn. Unless there is food to be had!

Hard to get pictures, cause they're not comfortable enough to come if I'm outside, but I can watch them from my window. I looked it up, and technically it's illegal to feed them since crows can be considered pests, but gently caress da police. One of my friends gets about 10-15 crows visiting at once. I'm more in a straight up suburb area though, and she has woods.

All their tool using, memory, and emotions make them rad birds. I've tried to start whistling when I do feed them, to try to get them to associate the whistle with food. Because, i'm that guy on the block

Of course, I have a few squirrels that also stalk my feeding grounds. But, they're pretty cool too

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

I had this visit me on my porch:

Which google says is a Variegated Fritillary Caterpillar.

They were a fantastic red color, the picture does not do them justice.

I am in no way scared of spiny, hairy-ish 'pillars. but they're kind of disturbing looking.

too close to the centi-milii-pede for me, maybe. Just not sure i'd let the little fella climb on me, like i would like a 'normal' caterpillar.

i hope that doesn't make me racist :magical:

And they're gorgeous butterflies .. just that stage, oof.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Synnr posted:

Almost ran face first into a big ol' web stretched over my back door. Saw this fellow/lady reeling in a snack

It's hard to get a decent up close fancy shot but it's pretty clear (to me anyway) it's a healthy sized spotted orb weaver. It's like 50 cent piece big.

I'll see if it's still there in the morning and let it feast tonight. Maybe scoot it over to the corner near the door if it's still there.

I had a thing about spiders for the longest time. And still, if they startle me, that may be the end of poor friend's life.

I had one build a kinda thin web in my bathroom ceiling's corner, and I just let him chill.

But I have two .. evergreen bushes? on either side of my steps going to the sidewalk. I've now learned to wave my arm down in front of my face to avoid the webs. They still get me by putting it like a foot past where it should be, or at chest height. I get that it's a great place to capture flying insects. But. Have some respect!

I had one orb spider off the side that looked like it had a Predator skull on it's back. It was gone after a couple weeks.

I only have an iPhone 6+, so my pictures always kind of suck. it's cracked and slow as poo poo, but I'm poor. Maybe one day, I can contribute pics! :)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Rexxed posted:

A basketball sized nest of buzzy jerks moved in. I'm not going within 20 feet.

Well, you know what to do. Fire. Lot's of it, drat the collateral damage

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

Also a water snake that stayed in the water and far from me

[central Arkansas]

I love all creatures and critters. But any snake in the water, in person, can get stuffed. They're too creepily moving and if you're in a tiny canoe you feel so exposed.
I'm cool with pictures of them.

But, land eels are just upsetting to me.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this counts, but I ran across it on the youtube channel, that I found because of wild pigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16g5IVCdeE

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

There it goes

i'm sure you will, but you'll need to document this journey :)

e- What's a decently price camera, for pictures like this? I only have my old rear end iphone. It'd be basically strictly for stuff for this thread or other random poo poo. I'm not photographer, at all. $100? $200?

Any recommendations?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

No, but Aeshna is a widespread genus with a Holarctic distribution, and many of them look quite similar. Mine is probably a female Shadow Darner, Aeshna umbrosa.

i can make up words too.

jk, you people that know all these things at a glance are amazing

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Spider vision is pretty cool - their eyes work cooperatively, and the different eyes are serving different purposes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/science/spider-vision.html

can you not even use incognito windows for this stupid site? i refuse to pay.
and i'm assuming copy/pasting would miss out on videos or something. plz help, i'm dumb

I fed my crows, I had about 8 of them, but they just up and disappeared. I fed them peanuts in the morning on a fairly consistent schedule for more than a few months. And I'd throw some out there when I got home. It's been hot... but I miss my crows.

McGavin posted:

I'm going to say it's a Vine Sphinx, Eumorpha vitis. It lacks the brown bands along the leading edges of the wings that are indicative of a Banded Sphinx.

For reference:

Vine Sphinx

Banded Sphinx

This thing was built for goddamn speed. Like flying through tiny sized canyons and what not.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 9, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Chard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KHdwCekCU

i tried to send it to my mom and she said the same thing, so i have the video still in my messages. alternatively, this works great https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

that's awesome, man. I appreciate it.

Also, these folks had a lot of time on their hands. But, still great.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 9, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

My crows showed up every day through the spring, and would watch for me to look out the window and swoop over so I would see them and proceed with the ritual every single morning to get a breakfast of dogfood in fresh water. And in mid-june when their kids were flying they just stopped showing up regularly and hung out everyday with the larger group of local crows, which in my case totally ignores me, except right before garbage day when pickings are slim, when Mr. Crow all by himself would come by every other week or so if I looked out for a crow hanging out in a certain tree.

But now it is September, the tourists are leaving, and three days ago my crows started showing up every morning again just like in June. They hang out in one of a handful of spots, looking for me, and when they see me they fly straight over. And by they, I mean Mr. Crow with his gimpy foot and his mate. I'm so lucky that the crow that befriended me has such a distinctive feature or I'd have absolutely no clue, but his left foot is hosed and he walks with a limp on a closed fist, and since his combats with the hawk in June he is still missing a big clumb of tail feathers which makes him really easy to spot. And he's by far the chillest crow in the neighborhood around me. He's metal as gently caress and I'll give him dogfood as long as he wants, especially if he keeps raising his kids in my yard.

This is great, and awesome and cute all at the same time. Maybe my friends will come back. My time for leaving for work changes drastically now, but we'll see.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sorry, I might have landed under the "free articles" limit, or used one of my usual dumb workarounds to get to the article. I browse pretty much exclusively on desktop, and to get around the NYT paywall opening the article in an incognito window, then refreshing the page and stopping it before it fully loads usually works for me.

I did this and it works great, if you use chrome

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

My crows showed up every day through the spring, and would watch for me to look out the window and swoop over so I would see them and proceed with the ritual every single morning to get a breakfast of dogfood in fresh water. And in mid-june when their kids were flying they just stopped showing up regularly and hung out everyday with the larger group of local crows, which in my case totally ignores me, except right before garbage day when pickings are slim, when Mr. Crow all by himself would come by every other week or so if I looked out for a crow hanging out in a certain tree.

But now it is September, the tourists are leaving, and three days ago my crows started showing up every morning again just like in June. They hang out in one of a handful of spots, looking for me, and when they see me they fly straight over. And by they, I mean Mr. Crow with his gimpy foot and his mate. I'm so lucky that the crow that befriended me has such a distinctive feature or I'd have absolutely no clue, but his left foot is hosed and he walks with a limp on a closed fist, and since his combats with the hawk in June he is still missing a big clumb of tail feathers which makes him really easy to spot. And he's by far the chillest crow in the neighborhood around me. He's metal as gently caress and I'll give him dogfood as long as he wants, especially if he keeps raising his kids in my yard.

My crows came back! Had about 6 come down and get some peanuts. One of my neighbors stuck his head out the door and yelled at them to "STFU!", but they came and ate, and disappeared quietly.

If I'm inside, I'll crack a window, and if I hear one call in the distance, I go throw out a few handfuls. Then it's like I cast a summoning spell.

poverty goat posted:

Almost all of the birds here have been wiped out by some bird plague since summer. It's apparently a thing on the east coast. Finches, cardinals, grackles, brown thrashers, mockingbirds- gone. I've had healthy year-round populations of all of those forever. There's no birdsong, and I had to pull my feeders. Here and there a lone finch or grackle shows up looking for food, and a significant number of them look unhealthy with patchy feathers particularly on their heads. I'm watching an unhealthy looking one-legged grackle peck around at old sunflower shells right now.

It's all very depressing.

Sad about this, though :( I don't have feeders, but this sucks regardless.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

Pick a whistle to call the crows and whistle whenever you put nuts out there. And now that you know you have their attention you can start changing the rules of the game; go out and let them see you, but only put the nuts out when a crow comes closer to see what you're doing. Or at least start shifting the routine that way as long as they seem to be keeping up.

*taking notes from a crow master*

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

BlancoNino posted:

Helped this future bane of the pond across a busy road and gave it a rinse because it seemed dried out.

Very small snapper, maybe the length of my thumb.

30 years from now, there will be a slight scraping at your door. It's best to answer, for he will bring you wisdom, and fulfill all your worldly desires.

(even though he looks like wtf just happened to me)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

From earlier today, a short video of some of my corvid friends visiting for peanuts. I got some more pictures and videos from today that I haven't done anything with yet, but I think this is one of the better videos. I mostly have scrub jay buddies, but I also have Steller's that come by fairly often, as well as crows and squirrels. They all know that if they get my attention I'll put good peanuts out in the planter outside my front door.

The scrubs and crows tend to be circumspect if I'm too close to the door, but the Steller's don't give a poo poo, and the squirrels have gotten pretty comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFUYsuvR3w

Did that second, Stellar (i'm guessing), just swallow a whole peanut? Can birds store them like that, or is he just like a boss?

Also, the later Stellar, flew back into the bucket with a peanut to exchange?

I haven't tried containers, but have just throw handfuls out.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

depressing bird plague spoilers
my crows are sick now and I am watching them waste away day by day. they still come by for treats when they see me and I still give them dog food and fresh water and then put it away when they're done, but they looked like poo poo today :(

If you believe hard enough, a crow will get it's new wings. And, you'll hear a bell or something.

i'm sorry, though. that sucks :(

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

I've reported it to cornell and to the state agencies, but no, I've heard/found zero messaging about it in my area and heard nothing back from them yet. I'm near back bay wildlife refuge so maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they know anything.

I definitely saw two birds, a finch and a mourning dove, each looking disoriented with crusty eye in May/June- actually a swollen or crusty mound over one eye, but that's not specifically what I'm seeing now. The symptom I see now is around the eyes, beginning with what might be crust in the feathers below the eye in mild cases, proceeding to loss of feathers generally around the head and the back of the neck in extreme cases. That's where the crows are- big patches of pink bare skin in the vincinity of their eyes and around the backs of their necks. Two days ago it was just some mild crusting around one eye on one crow. There's been a grackle around in the same state, missing patches of feathers on his head. There are still lots of doves around but a couple of them have the mild symptom around one or both eyes. I suspect now that a finch and cardinal i identified the other day as having patchy, intermediate coloring might have been suffering this as well. another 4 or so species of birds are just missing from the property but I haven't seen any dead or sick.

but it doesn't seem like an exact match for the other stuff, no, though it's widespread and the eyes seem to be the thing

oh, hey friend. I'm only about 20 miles away. I don't get many little birds, but so far my crows seem to be holding strong, and not looking too bad. they'll come around as long as my neighbors aren't outside making a ruckus (which is too often, but now I'm probably that old man)
maybe a good sign it hasn't spread this far out, just yet? I get pretty much only crows, starlings, and a couple blue jays.

but you're also a lot better at identifying those signs, than I am.

I went to elementary school here before I moved, and we always went to back bay. Nice place.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

The second one has great camo, but .. So, is there a critter in the first pic, or is that the point?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Literally A Ghost posted:

So what the hell is this horror show of a creature:

The back legs were loving 2.5" long!!!

E: in coastal oregon

it almost looks like a mammoth sized tardigrade. which I don't think exist, but whatevs.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 17, 2021

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

I think your eyes glazed over the legs

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JESUS CHRIST

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Help

What beetle

First instinct was a devil horse beetle, second was some sort of giant oil beetle. It was almost two inches long. I'm in upstate new york.

Further away, less phone lovely focus, more iridescence

what sort of event are you at?

it seems an interesting background

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
so from the few posts I've had in here. I have crows. I feed them in the front yard on my sidewalk with peanuts.

It's gotten to the point where they'll fly over and land on the power lines when I open the front door in the morning. Normally, around 0830-0900. Cool, cool.

But there is like a rogue crow, that comes into my backyard, early around 0730-0800. Right outside my bedroom window, in the back of the house. And just will not shush their crow mouth. Just constant cawing, that if I've deciphered from the internet, means irritation.

I know they're smart as poo poo, but... have they figured out I sleep in the back of my house, and are waking me up to feed them in the front of the house?? I wouldn't put anything past them, but knowing where I sleep inside my house ... i just don't know, man.

I love them and I'm glad they come around. but .. are they peeking in the windows, or something?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

I bet they have figured that out, yes.

I wonder if the time change screwed up that one crow. It still thinks 7:30 is 8:30.

that could explain it. but if they legit figured out I sleep in the backside of the house, even though I feed them in the front side. That's insane. And awesome

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

-Zydeco- posted:

Found this guy walking down the hallway at work. I let them go in my office so they wouldn't get squished.
https://i.imgur.com/lZYTLC8.mp4

If I saw that thing coming, I'd be okay, but if it surprised me. It probably wouldn't end well (I'd scream and run). Tooooo many legs.

I accidently killed a house spider :( Something was tickling my leg hair and I went to scratch, then womp womp. Kind of sucks :(

I had one that lived in the corner of my bathroom ceiling for a few months. Named him Henry. Anytime I capture one, I try to encourage them to go to Henry's web, but they don't.

Kind of wonder if Spiders aren't cool with moving in on a another spider's web. Even if that spider is long gone.

I usually get some Orb Weavers in my front flower bed / porch, but haven't seen anything this year. Had some huge ones in the last couple years. Almost positive they were the type that would dismantle and then build a masterpiece for the next day.
but they're also famous for putting one web line between the two porch posts. I've learned to wave my arm up and down when I'm going down the steps. lil' bastards

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 19, 2022

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I found this lil guy having a real one across the street on a neighbor's porch the other day (do not skip the sound!)

Holy cow, I always assumed that was just a bird making a weird rear end noise. My squirrels do this often, and the 'chipchipchipchip' noise.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
these are all awesome.

I'm a little thrilled because it looks like I have another bathroom spider that lives in the top corner. Seems like they took over an old web. It was always nice to see one there, and be like 'sup.

I normally get some orb weavers out in my front flower area, but I haven't really seen anything lately. Kinda sucks. I had a big ol' 2 incher that would make a new web each day. I just would either duck under it, or remove the one strand that going across my porch.

i'm basically a shut-in, so i don't see the cool creatures. Though my crows came back for the first time this morning, so hopefully they'll keep coming back. I throw peanuts out on the walkway/sidewalk and when they hear it they start to come around.

The crows and squirrels seem to have worked out a truce, where each can grab whatever they can grab without any incidents happening.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
How bad/lovely is it to try to buy Dragonfly Nymphs, and pray they stick around your flower bed?

I'd love to have just swarms of them outside my house, but I don't think that's an easy task to complete.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
years ago I was sitting outside in florida with a guitar, just plucking at strings.
I can't play, so I was just playing around.

This guy popped up out of a flower pot and hung out the whole time:

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 18, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Alterian posted:

I saw this toad yesterday.

toadily awesome.

Scarodactyl posted:

An anole visited our tree to do pushups and flash his colorful dewlap.

wtf? Do all anoles have that? I remember having a couple when I was a young kid, but I don't remember them ever doing this.
I do remember them doing pushups.

i'm also dumb and forgetful, so they may have.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 20, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, any time you see a funny picture of, like, a line of roads on a snake, those are male toads trying to gently caress the snake. They are not clever creatures.

Or are they just ambitious?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

Lone Turkey in the yard.

looks like a study deck you got going on there

respect

e- i meant sturdy, but i still don't really know what i meant.

NICE DECK

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 13, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that definitely sounds more like an owl or some other type of bird to me. Coyotes I've heard have been higher pitched than that, and have a lot of yipping noises mixed in with longer yowls.
No idea exactly what it is though, I'm very curious.

I was going to say based off of no experience whatsoever that I thought coyotes were more yippy. but i've been up for like 30 hours, so I'm going to fight anything that makes any noise while I try to sleep

I'm waiting on my orb weaver to arrive. I got two evergreen shrubs on either side of my porch, and I normally get one that builds a giant rear end web between them.

as long as they build high, we're good, otherwise I gently remove it with a stick, but they make like the most picturesque webs.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

so a few years ago I think I posted in this or a previous thread about the trap I set to catch a squirrel in my attic, but when I went to get it, I found this guy inside it instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYrekO2YeI&hd=1

I released him outside the house, and he went from the back door to the forest edge in roughly 5 seconds, really impressive speed. Then over the winter, I saw him, now nicknamed Pop, hopping around in the snow and tunneling.

A few years later, this past saturday, and I was sitting on my front step waiting for a delivery when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Poking out of a hole in the ground presumably initially dug by a chipmunk, he was sticking out like a periscope, and the moment I turned my head to look at him, he leapt out of it and bolted around the corner of the house. I'm sure he's still got ways of getting inside the walls of the house, even with all the repairs and new siding we've had done, but I'm not too bothered by him getting in as I am chipmunks and mice, and him getting in the walls is honestly probably good for dealing with that since I'm sure pests like mice are dissuaded from entering an area with the scent of a predator like a weasel.

I'm just happy he's still around and doing his thing. god they're just the most adorable little murdernoodles. :allears:

I've never trapped an animal, but that dude seems chill AF

Like, pet levels of chill.

I'm fairly certain I have squirrels in my attic. I hear them occasionally, and there is a giant poof of ivy and shrubbery around the far side of my roof, where the vent is or whatever.
I'm cool, if they're cool.

am i going to die from like toxic poop or whatever? They don't really bother me.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

According to Google it may not have been albino, apparently all praying mantises turn that ivory color after molting, which they do about 10 times in their life, and then as their exoskeleton hardens it turns green again :shrug: So perhaps there's a lil' green mantis shell out there somewhere. Could also explain why it was just hanging out on a metal table in the afternoon arizona sun.

i know insects are on a whole 'nother level, but it's like 180 degrees in the Arizona sun, let alone on a metal table.

they will survive us.

I, for one, welcome our Mantis overlords.