Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

my cat is norris posted:

Be so kind as to link that image instead of posting in-line, would you, please? :shobon:

Corvids are fascinating...you can't help thinking that was some kind of ritual for them. You sent me down a rabbit-hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYVFZnNl6s
I would be freaked out by that mask alone. Actually, I jumped a little when I first saw it. Horror movie stuff.

I had a couple recent encounters with birds.

This guy was right outside my window a few weeks back.

Then this one got in my house just the the other night somehow.

I am no birdologist, but I think the first is a very young blue jay and the other some kind of sparrow. I'm in Northern Virginia if anyone knows better!

I also got some pretty good pictures of 17 year cicadas molting, but that seems to be covered already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am terrified of spiders in general, but I can't help but love jumping spiders and their fuzzy bodies and their many cute little eyes :3:
Jumping spiders were my path from absolutely hating spiders to coming to a point of respect and admiration for most of them. I'm still not exactly a fan, but I don't immediately go to "kill it with fire!" anymore.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I love this thread. I'm an arachnophobe who is oddly comforted by all the spider pics. All these pretty spiders, and they're nowhere near me, so I can just sort of "practice" looking at them. :)
Pictures of jumping spiders cured me of my arachnophobia.

Pretty much, at least. A big old wolf spider will still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I thought you caught one poopin' before I realized it's a feather lol.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

blight rhino posted:

so from the few posts I've had in here. I have crows. I feed them in the front yard on my sidewalk with peanuts.

It's gotten to the point where they'll fly over and land on the power lines when I open the front door in the morning. Normally, around 0830-0900. Cool, cool.

But there is like a rogue crow, that comes into my backyard, early around 0730-0800. Right outside my bedroom window, in the back of the house. And just will not shush their crow mouth. Just constant cawing, that if I've deciphered from the internet, means irritation.

I know they're smart as poo poo, but... have they figured out I sleep in the back of my house, and are waking me up to feed them in the front of the house?? I wouldn't put anything past them, but knowing where I sleep inside my house ... i just don't know, man.

I love them and I'm glad they come around. but .. are they peeking in the windows, or something?
I bet they have figured that out, yes.

I wonder if the time change screwed up that one crow. It still thinks 7:30 is 8:30.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

NTRabbit posted:

Someone else identified it for me because it was wrong for the local corvids, currawongs, and butcherbirds, and I had no other answer, but the white parts are only visible with the wings fully extended

I love these birds. They're beautiful.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Labs are ground-snufflers, and panvorous. They look very similar to other dogs with their very fluffy tails, but the brain is empty, rather than full of thoughts, like in other animals.
lmao

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Silver Falcon posted:

Two little garter snakes! What cuties!

(Central Connecticut)
This is a helluva cute picture.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I found this lil guy having a real one across the street on a neighbor's porch the other day (do not skip the sound!)
I once went outside and as I walked out a squirrel was on the awning above my front door screaming at me just like that one is. I assumed it was being protective of nearby offspring, but it didn't move and just sat there yelling at me from like 5 feet away so it was kind of a weird experience.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Enfys posted:

a great pic of a handsome lad
Aren't the big ones usually technically lasses?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Those guys look like guys you don’t gently caress with.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Whoa :nws: that!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MrMojok posted:

Ah, so it is. Sounds like it’s a good thing to have around (outside, not in my house :qq:)
They are unnerving as hell but they eat everything. I do not like them but I try to live and let live.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Terrible picture, sorry, but I rarely have anything interesting to share in here. It's not a bad picture considering I couldn't actually physically see the owl because it was too dark, but my phone picked it up in night mode and zoomed way in.

Last night I heard some hooting going on out my window. It's not a sound I know, so I went to investigate. My friend realized it was an owl, and we went out to try to find it. There was actually two, one seemed to be in a tree next door, the other was right in the backyard. We tried to use flashlights but couldn't find it, and then it flew out and across the street to a dead tree in our neighbor's yard, and that's where I got this.

They're amazing animals. They fly so quiet and are so good at hiding.

My friend went to get a real camera and it flew into a further, leafy tree so we didn't get it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

my cat is norris posted:

Keep an eye out, they may be back! Such cool visitors!!
I'm definitely going to! Today looking around I saw there's a hollow in a big tree behind my house that probably is a good spot for an owl's nest, and since there were two maybe they're a mating pair?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Guess whose got a bird feeder now?

Just look at this magnificent bastard.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Nice of you to include eating utensils for them too.
lol that's a 'wind chime' the kids here made years ago but the birds are of course welcome to use them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Got close to a little woodpecker today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqTpeiisEE

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Red Queen posted:

I can only tell whether they're downy or hairy when they're next to other birds so I can gauge the size.
I assumed it was a juvenile because it looks smaller than the others I’ve seen around.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

McGavin posted:

It's an adult Downy Woodpecker. You can tell it isn't a Hairy because the bill is too small.
Yeah I thought it was a juvenile of the larger red-bellieds we see pretty regularly. I am not good at identifying birds. Yet.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

These were bullying smaller birds at the feeders all afternoon.

My guesses are grackle and European starling.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Cattle egret. I wish I'd gotten more pictures of these as they were all over, but they were very timid.
Classic case of egret regret.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pigeons come in black apparently? Not sure how common this is but I never noticed one before. If you look close this one has been banded, so someone is keeping track of it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I started feeding crows in hopes they would bring me something but so far all they’ve given me is the sounds of crows cawing outside my house more often.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

speaking of, my sil texted me "omg is this a cockroach??" lol

(click beetle)
Nothing's happening?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think I saw a catbird feeding another catbird the other day. It looked fully grown but I assumed it was very young and just hadn't quite gotten a handle on this eating thing yet. They were both scrounging around under my bird feeder, but one would periodically go to the other which would open its mouth and then the first one would put something in it. Looked like feeding to me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That looks like a pretty big jumper. I don’t think I’ve seen them that big I only see tiny ones, and rarely.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Amazing photos of a beautiful bird.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Speaking of squirrels, I've got a group of them running around the big tree in my front yard today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhpXzlalbtM

They mostly just go down that branch and jump from the one tree to the other, then back again. I was thinking maybe they're a litter that's getting to explore for the first time?

Edit: I like it when they bunch up at around 0:38.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cartoon Man posted:

Wife spotted an albino squirrel today.

These are usually grey and are everywhere in the DC metro area.
Lots of black squirrels too. That variety has gradually been growing in proportion to the grey ones since being introduced in the National Mall by Teddy Roosevelt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrelm
Edit: I mean they’re still nowhere near as interesting as an albino squirrel. That’s a really cool find!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Common brushtail possum?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum