Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I love/collect lamps/light fixtures too, although in a slightly different style than what’s been already posted:

I love the Snorks Plushies.

Your decor needs a row of Astrosniks lined up on a shelf somewhere.

https://toffeystreasurechest.com/products/1983-astrosniks-sniks-bully-made-in-hong-kong-pvc-figurine-lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Those are cool, I’ve never seen them in the US, are they German only or EU only?

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 1, 2023

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I'm up to around 50 telescope eyepieces so I guess I'm collecting them.

Some of them...I need about two more cases to hold them all.

I've also became fascinated with element cubes. I picked up the starter set of 14 element cubes from Amazon - just the little 10mm sized ones.

I found the Luciteria website. This could be dangerous in multiple ways.

https://www.luciteria.com/metal-cubes?fbclid=IwAR0_U96WeawEbZr62IEv2xwwdD65DO4ynvVotTq_Tc4MzloFBy7dibAgSU0

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Anyone open to a trading card collecting thread? I've gotten back into it as an adult and thought we would want to share our stuff and resources?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Liquid Chicken posted:

I've also became fascinated with element cubes. I picked up the starter set of 14 element cubes from Amazon - just the little 10mm sized ones.

https://www.luciteria.com/metal-cubes?fbclid=IwAR0_U96WeawEbZr62IEv2xwwdD65DO4ynvVotTq_Tc4MzloFBy7dibAgSU0

Sounds like you needs a solid block of Sodium.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sounds like you needs a solid block of Sodium.

They do sell 'em...and phosphors...and other spicy elements.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Liquid Chicken posted:

This is too many EPs you know you don’t need them it’s become a very expensive compulsion.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

bird with big dick posted:

This is too many EPs you know you don’t need them it’s become a very expensive compulsion.

NEVER! Prolly get more sometime soon. I actually do use them. Got my eye on the 17mm Ethos. Still cheaper than stamp collecting.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Dumb question to necro the thread: does any one here collect art?

BigFactory posted:

The market for any big name stuff is insane.

I collect prints - mostly old master prints (which is a loose term, but generally means before 1830) plus some modern favorites. (Jules de Bruycker being my current modern fav of awesomess + actually being able to afford his work)

I love paintings too, but found prints far more approachable (and affordable) to get into. I highly doubt anywhere here would be able to collect Rembrandts, Goyas, or Picassos in painting form, but each of them were also highly innovative and significant artists in the world of prints - and those works you can acquire for tens - thousands of dollars.

I also really enjoy the research aspect of it, as every time you get something there's some things you can (maybe) find out about the edition, state, paper type (watermark), age, and more. The state in particular is cool - it's basically how many times the artist tinkered with it and changed things. Rembrandt was very famous for this. Some of his prints he kept messing for many years, each time releasing some impressions (copies of it), so you can have 10+ versions (all done by the original artist, showing the evolution of their thinking) of the same work.

Rembrandt's The Three Crosses 3rd (of 5) state:

5th state (printed posthumously):

This was printed from the same copper plate as the previous one, but significantly reworked, with things filled in, but also entire figures removed or changed, the shadow/light completely different, etc etc. The sketched figures around Christ you see in the earlier states are fleshed out, but at the same time the whole thing is much darker and chaotic. It really gives a different emotional feeling. Was this Rembrandt's true vision at the end of his life? Or maybe it was even tinkered with by someone else after he died? (I'm not a Rembrandt expert, in case someone here actually knows the answer to that :v:)

Some of my own stuff:
A late edition (1961) of one of Piranesi's Imaginary Prisons series. One of my favorite series, I'll get some early editions (aka 1700s) eventually but they can go for 10k+

Another favorite of mine is scenes showing peasant/normal life. Jacques Callot's Miseries of War (1633) was a groundbreaking series in that respect, showing the impact the Thirty Years' War had on normal people and common soldiers. It's one of the more impactful works in history, leading directly to Goya's Los Desastres de la guerra nearly 200 years later, and influencing subsequent anti-war art since then.

An album of the 18-print set, previously owned by a German literary historian named Carl Georg von Maassen (he helpfully put a sticker with his name inside the cover):

The most famous print from the set, plate 11, the Hanging Tree

Two copies of plate 2 of the Miseries of War, showing a State 2 (of 3, above) and State 3 (bottom). Callot generally did not change his line work significantly, so the difference here as far as the actual image is the publisher line underneath the table to the right. The more important thing (for these ones anyway) is that earlier states are usually just fuller, darker, richer, better impressions. The later states and editions would start to wear off the actual copper from the printing plate, so fine details would be lost.

One from a set of Luigi Rossini's views of Rome (1819-1823) (the aforementioned Giovanni Battista Piranesi is probably the most famous of the "scenic rome" printmakers, and had a lot of followers). They were quite cheap because of this water stain, but I'm learning (slowly and carefully) how to remove things like this and restore them:

I've got a few drawings/watercolors too, as that's a natural addition to a paper art collection. This is an Armand Rassenfosse I just got and am excited to frame up:

Part of the fun for me is repurposing/restoring frames and matching them up with prints. This is a 1740 view of Brussels from Johann Georg Ringlin which happened to fit this frame I had perfectly:

Anyway, hope people enjoy this look at a (semi) affordable way to collect art!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That is a quite nice look at prints, thanks! I should have thought of it considering I did see a great exhibit of Renaissance prints at an art museum last year and spent forever going through looking at all the fine details close up (they even provided magnifying glasses to do so). I'm afraid the closest I've come to collecting art is reminding myself that kokeshi dolls qualify as folk art. Usually I am not into folk art but I do like the geometric forms of the dolls and tend to get the obnoxiously colored and non traditional ones. Dunno if I've posted my most impressive one here yet but:

Which is a direct reference to this old print by Takehisa Yumeji:

Takehisa is an illustrator, so not the highest of art, but apparently well known and wide spread enough to have had an influence. Wikipedia tries to draw a correlation between his style of illustration and it's impact on early shojo manga artists, no idea how true that really is though with out deep digging.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's fun. I don't have any, but there's actually a lot of ceramics and figurines out there based on Callot:

So, anyone with a bunch of hentai figurines on your shelves, you're actual continuing a rich artistic tradition dating back centuries!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

I collect expensive robot fart noise machines and use them for their intended purpose of making robots fart

I bought nearly all this poo poo with half the money I got selling out of MTG, post pandemic spike :allears:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I found a weird mannequin head at Goodwill today. It has a bunch of numbers on it so I think it might have something to do with fitting hats, but if that was it I would think they would include a measuring tape and a caliper. I also have some serious doubts about this so-called "Dr. Willarton."

Yes, I know what it is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GWBBQ posted:

I also have some serious doubts about this so-called "Dr. Willarton."

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I collect WWI trench art but have not actively done so in years. I might throw in some pictures if I get it back displayed here soon-ish (if anyone remotely cares).

I have the remnants of a shot glass collection that has not seen the light of day in a loooooong time (and honestly needs to go). I’m sure there are other odds and ends of collections around, I do have a (sort of) decent rock collection, mostly in boxes somewhere.

I sort of accidentally started accumulating LOTR legos from China too now (mostly minifigs).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I collect WWI trench art but have not actively done so in years. I might throw in some pictures if I get it back displayed here soon-ish (if anyone remotely cares).

I care

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I sort of accidentally started accumulating LOTR legos from China too now (mostly minifigs).

I saw an add for those, what's the quality like?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Liquid Chicken posted:

I got a magnesium (I think, my memory doesn't know what element it was for sure anymore) cube on kickstarter, it's neat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got a new record player at Goodwill and while it needs a new cartridge, it reminded me of the time from a few years ago, before I quit drinking, when I drunkenly bought every record from a local radio station that had gone out of business. Mostly white labels from no-name artists, probably a waste of $30 ;)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I collect lockpicks. I was thinking about starting a thread.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Zesty posted:

I collect lockpicks. I was thinking about starting a thread.

Dayum

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Got a new dragon boy! This time, Ridley:

He's about a foot wide from wing tip to wing tip and about 10" tall. I absolutely adore this guy!

CatJamEnthusiast
Jun 26, 2023

I collect Meowth Pokemon cards and rarities, not the most unique but I enjoy it!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Post pics

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

Nice! I don’t think I’ve ever seen an orange box fan before.
I'm moving tomorrow and if you don't want this, it's probably just going to Goodwill. I'll dust it off and send it to you for the cost of shipping plus $5 rather than "donate" it. I'm going to PM you again and you have first dibs on it. If you don't reply by tomorrow morning (9AM EST), anyone who likes the style and will appreciate it can have it for the same.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Liquid Chicken posted:

I hear you on this one, we're moving and you should have seen my wife's reaction after asking me how many telescopes I have (only 7). I'm probably going to fix up a few and give them away, and see if a local motel that's had their 3.3m dish pointed at the second floor for years will let me take it for free and turn it into a radio telescope.

I think I already mentioned the other space stuff I have, hopefully I'll have a place to set up a proper display shelf and wall once we move.

Nosre posted:

Anyway, hope people enjoy this look at a (semi) affordable way to collect art!
I have a few first print run, signed and numbered, Dali works that he made, and one by Friday Kahlo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh hey! This thread popped up again. Well I've come full circle back to the hobbies of my youth and have been happily shaping up my old coin and rock collections into something presentable, as opposed to a child's accumulation of every thing and anything to do with the topic. Also collecting kokeshi dolls on the side for fun as I am a sucker for bright colors and geometry.