Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Shame Boy posted:

It seemed like too obvious a bait :colbert:

Lol

my boyfriend won it at a furry convention raffle in tyool 2019. its perfect

(no it had never been used, ow!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AEMINAL posted:

Vaporwave cassettes! Yes I do listen to them.

Thats a lotta money right there lol

:eyepop: you got any Luxury Elite or TVVIN_PINEZ_M4LL in that there collection?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

AEMINAL posted:

(no it had never been used, ow!)

chuckles in 12 year old

heh heh heh

sex stuff

giggles out of thread

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:eyepop: you got any Luxury Elite or TVVIN_PINEZ_M4LL in that there collection?

nah. but you bet i got them flacs! :-D

edit:

tehinternet posted:

chuckles in 12 year old

heh heh heh

sex stuff

giggles out of thread

lol god drat it

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 31, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So... I didn't exactly intend to do it, it just sort of happened. But, I've been collecting literal garbage since the pandemic started.

I had this bright idea to cover my mini fridge in labels from beer cans. I thought it could be a fun project to have a tacky garage beer fridge.

Well I still haven't gotten around to actually doing it, but I've been collecting cans this whole time anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So... I didn't exactly intend to do it, it just sort of happened. But, I've been collecting literal garbage since the pandemic started.

I had this bright idea to cover my mini fridge in labels from beer cans. I thought it could be a fun project to have a tacky garage beer fridge.

Well I still haven't gotten around to actually doing it, but I've been collecting cans this whole time anyway.

Don’t they smell?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Step 1: take labels off, stick on fridge. You're done.

Seriously next time you walk past that garbage pile just go toss one of those bags in sink, wash cans out. Proceed to step 1 and it'll be done in no time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a collection of early 20th century photographs of catastrophic boiler explosions. I have four hanging up but have more in a box.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

falz posted:

Step 1: take labels off, stick on fridge. You're done.

Seriously next time you walk past that garbage pile just go toss one of those bags in sink, wash cans out. Proceed to step 1 and it'll be done in no time.

oh gross, no. They're already washed out and dried.
I developed a regimen of washing them out as soon as I pour the beer, then setting them aside to dry.

The problem I think I have, is that I couldn't really decide on which ones to use. I need a couple hundred to cover the fridge, but there's probably over a thousand cans.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Glad they're clean. I mean just start sticking them on. If you don't like one later stick one over it, right?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is a good start for a beginner, but I'd really like to see more cans. Just start just tossing cans above your kitchen cabinets. Got an seldom used closet? Throw loose cans in there until you can't shut the door.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
You ain't a collector if you ain't dying under a collapsed shelving unit overloaded with poo poo you haven't looked at in years.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

This also reminds me of a foot locker I bought at an antique mall that is decoupaged on all sides with food labels from the 1980s. There are some real gems on here. Presented for inspiration:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kreeningsons posted:

This also reminds me of a foot locker I bought at an antique mall that is decoupaged on all sides with food labels from the 1980s. There are some real gems on here. Presented for inspiration:

It’s beautiful

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

falz posted:

Glad they're clean. I mean just start sticking them on. If you don't like one later stick one over it, right?

Yeah I think this is the way you’re going to have to do it, just start slapping things on and when you run out of space look through the rest of the bags for really good ones that justify being stuck over what’s already on there.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Does the side of the mini fridge get warm while it's running the cooling cycle? Some of them have the condenser coils in the sides / side walls and don't use an external coil, and if you cover the outside up you'll decrease the cooling ability quite a bit.

I don't know how to find a diagram to illustrate this so you'll have to trust I'm not a crank, just look and make sure the fridge you want to cover has coils somewhere that you can see in the back or underneath.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kreeningsons posted:

omg you're a loving genius.
I have like 4 footlockers in need of some sticker-age.

I think you may have saved the collection!

Vanagoon posted:

Does the side of the mini fridge get warm while it's running the cooling cycle? Some of them have the condenser coils in the sides / side walls and don't use an external coil, and if you cover the outside up you'll decrease the cooling ability quite a bit.

I don't know how to find a diagram to illustrate this so you'll have to trust I'm not a crank, just look and make sure the fridge you want to cover has coils somewhere that you can see in the back or underneath.
nah, coils are external. It's already covered in stickers anyway.

I did take first steps today though, I pulled the fridge out of it's hole defrosted it. I'm gonna scrub it down, get rid of a touch of rust on the bottom corners, and then get to stickin'.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while I was going through some of my sister's belongings, I found a huge chinese takeout container-shaped box filled with beer bottle tops from hundreds of different beers that she was going to completely layer a table with, then encase completely with...clear liquid plastic, the name escapes me right now, you put up barriers and just fill a thing with it and it hardens into a clear plastic. epoxy? I'm totally spacing it atm. anyways I've always liked the idea of customizing a container or piece of furniture in that way.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

omg you're a loving genius.
I have like 4 footlockers in need of some sticker-age.
make sure to layer some kind of sealant over them once they're all applied to both protect them from wear and keep them from peeling

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
^^^
I'm spacing on the name, but I love that craft. It looks great when done right.

I was gonna try it about a decade ago when I had more space for creative endeavors, but I recall the epoxy itself being sort of pricey.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

^^^
I'm spacing on the name, but I love that craft. It looks great when done right.

I was gonna try it about a decade ago when I had more space for creative endeavors, but I recall the epoxy itself being sort of pricey.

Decoupage?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Invictus posted:

clear liquid plastic, the name escapes me right now, you put up barriers and just fill a thing with it and it hardens into a clear plastic. epoxy?

That's right, a pourable resin/epoxy. Has a few names: pourable, bar-top, coating, etc. It's not cheap, but it's gotten a lot more accessible since the DIY movement became more of a thing (esp. river tables).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s also toxic as hell

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Captain Invictus posted:

while I was going through some of my sister's belongings, I found a huge chinese takeout container-shaped box filled with beer bottle tops from hundreds of different beers that she was going to completely layer a table with, then encase completely with...clear liquid plastic, the name escapes me right now, you put up barriers and just fill a thing with it and it hardens into a clear plastic. epoxy? I'm totally spacing it atm. anyways I've always liked the idea of customizing a container or piece of furniture in that way.

make sure to layer some kind of sealant over them once they're all applied to both protect them from wear and keep them from peeling

Yes, epoxy.
I gave my collection of about 3000 bottlecaps to a coworker so he could do that and make a coffee table out of a spool.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Snowy posted:

It’s also toxic as hell

Resist the urge to drink the forbidden clear cola.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My brother collects beer labels, so now I kinda do too.

Pro tip: Peel the labels off cans before you open them. They come of easier.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

deoju posted:

My brother collects beer labels, so now I kinda do too.

Pro tip: Peel the labels off cans before you open them. They come of easier.

I'm just imagining playing roulette with a fridge full of unlabeled beers.

"I wonder what I'll get tonight"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm just imagining playing roulette with a fridge full of unlabeled beers.

"I wonder what I'll get tonight"

Shake up a couple of them too for an added surprise!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Probably a radical departure from most goon collections but w/e
They're really hard to fit into a photo in a non-awkward way, but I collect Tamagotchis and their (many, many) knockoffs and competitors from the 90s. I'm especially interested in the Japan-only releases. It's like extremely niche video game collecting. I'll try to take pics. Is this a manifestation of a pathological need to care for things? yes. next question

I also have a few Furbies but they take so much more space that I'm much pickier about what I pick up.
Here's a family pic of my poorly-lit Furby Knockoffs shelf though:

Purby in the box back there is infamous for not even having a proper ROM loaded, it just runs its motor in a straight cycle and plays one sound on repeat until it breaks (which is usually soon after turning it on, i think mine lasted about 15 seconds). Someone deconstructed it and there was just... basically no circuitboard on it
aliexpress thread goons will recognize Ферби on the right

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 14, 2021

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

... I collect Tamagotchis and their (many, many) knockoffs and competitors...

Love it.

Killingyouguy! posted:

...I also have a few Furbies...

Triggered.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The worst item in my collection is also the rarest

I HATE this rear end in a top hat's feet. LOOK AT THEM. this is a childrens toy designed by a FREAK
I need to get off my rear end and resell this idiot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Xenomrph posted:

I was hoping you’d say you collected tech support tickets.

My boss would say this about me since I often forget to close them when I'm done.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Probably a radical departure from most goon collections but w/e
They're really hard to fit into a photo in a non-awkward way, but I collect Tamagotchis and their (many, many) knockoffs and competitors from the 90s. I'm especially interested in the Japan-only releases. It's like extremely niche video game collecting. I'll try to take pics. Is this a manifestation of a pathological need to care for things? yes. next question

You can't possibly be a responsible pet owner with that many tamagotchis, how many of them are dead and you haven't even noticed :colbert:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

You can't possibly be a responsible pet owner with that many tamagotchis, how many of them are dead and you haven't even noticed :colbert:

i create life... and i destroy it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKkjvzxu7yU&t=27s

e: pictures

Most of my collection that still has its packaging. The pikachu is of unknown origin and the game itself is actually raising a dog. My Mesutchi and Osutchi are yellowed but i think that's charming

Overflow of packaged pets and some makeup organizers for the loose ones.

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 14, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I briefly got into LCD game collecting but got bored quickly and cleared most of it out. I bring this up because I had a couple of other digital pets in it, one was the gigapet Giga Farm thingy. I did keep my old Tamagotchi angel from childhood, as well my Milton Bradley board game themed ones, plus the more recent additions of Dungeons and Dragons and a possibly official Tetris one. What I really want to get is one of the old Pocket Pikachu units, I had so much fun with my friend's back in the day.

I'm sure you had many thoughts when it came to the Tamagotchi rereleases they did a couple of years back, Killingyouguy!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Turbinosamente posted:

I briefly got into LCD game collecting but got bored quickly and cleared most of it out. I bring this up because I had a couple of other digital pets in it, one was the gigapet Giga Farm thingy. I did keep my old Tamagotchi angel from childhood, as well my Milton Bradley board game themed ones, plus the more recent additions of Dungeons and Dragons and a possibly official Tetris one. What I really want to get is one of the old Pocket Pikachu units, I had so much fun with my friend's back in the day.

I'm sure you had many thoughts when it came to the Tamagotchi rereleases they did a couple of years back, Killingyouguy!

Oh hell yeah the Angels are delightful

and ohhhh my god
Bandai kind of hosed up their own anniversary?
For the 20th anniversary of the Tamagotchi they rereleased not the originals but the Tamagotchi Mini, a release from fuckin 2005, with packaging that looks similar to the original release's card backing. This version lacks a teenager growth stage, has very limited gameplay, and is also basically impossible to kill - the original run was geared more towards the crowd who put a million charms on their cell phone.
And then in 2018, the uh, 21st anniversary of the Tamagotchi I guess, they finally actually re-released the G1 and G2 versions, and with some really nice shell patterns, but with one particular change - feeding it more than 3 snacks is a death sentence. Games and snacks are both ways of raising the happiness meter; snacks were always considered worse care by the game but there wasn't a hard cutoff like that. I think Bandai knew most peoples nostalgic memories were of killing their Tamagotchi and made it way easier to do so. This change makes raising all the way to adult a serious pain because you're forced to play the randomized guessing game every time the happiness drops, which is a distraction from my job that i have as an adult to fund my tamagotchi habit. Also somehow they sourced the worlds scratchiest speakers for a toy that only needs to make like 3 different pitches of beeping
But the new shells are really pretty. like look

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh hell yeah the Angels are delightful

and ohhhh my god
Bandai kind of hosed up their own anniversary?
For the 20th anniversary of the Tamagotchi they rereleased not the originals but the Tamagotchi Mini, a release from fuckin 2005, with packaging that looks similar to the original release's card backing. This version lacks a teenager growth stage, has very limited gameplay, and is also basically impossible to kill - the original run was geared more towards the crowd who put a million charms on their cell phone.
And then in 2018, the uh, 21st anniversary of the Tamagotchi I guess, they finally actually re-released the G1 and G2 versions, and with some really nice shell patterns, but with one particular change - feeding it more than 3 snacks is a death sentence. Games and snacks are both ways of raising the happiness meter; snacks were always considered worse care by the game but there wasn't a hard cutoff like that. I think Bandai knew most peoples nostalgic memories were of killing their Tamagotchi and made it way easier to do so. This change makes raising all the way to adult a serious pain because you're forced to play the randomized guessing game every time the happiness drops, which is a distraction from my job that i have as an adult to fund my tamagotchi habit. Also somehow they sourced the worlds scratchiest speakers for a toy that only needs to make like 3 different pitches of beeping
But the new shells are really pretty. like look

I'm genuinely glad you derive happiness from this hobby and mean this in the nicest possible way but: reading a block of text where someone describes their gripes about the Sad State of Tamagotchi in 2021 is making me giggle a lot.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I'm genuinely glad you derive happiness from this hobby and mean this in the nicest possible way but: reading a block of text where someone describes their gripes about the Sad State of Tamagotchi in 2021 is making me giggle a lot.

and I am genuinely glad to hear that shame boy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

e: pictures

Most of my collection that still has its packaging. The pikachu is of unknown origin and the game itself is actually raising a dog. My Mesutchi and Osutchi are yellowed but i think that's charming

Is that the source for pog boyfriend’s avatar in the back middle there, the yellow carded one standing up? That’s incredible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

Is that the source for pog boyfriend’s avatar in the back middle there, the yellow carded one standing up? That’s incredible

That's Gudetama, an egg yolk with depression. I don't think it came from tamagotchi originally though, it's just a Sanrio (the hello kitty company) character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Arivia posted:

That is indeed a gudetama tamagotchi! Gudetama is a sanrio character though, been around for a long time before the tamagotchi in various forms