Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's been the big story line of the Olympics so far this past week. The extreme heat that the Olympic athletes are dealing with. I'm curious which sport has the hottest athletes overall?

Many athletes have had some serious issues with the heat from Russian archer Svetlana Gomboeva passing out, likely from heat stroke. And then the triathlon where athletes were passing out and vomiting after the race due to the extreme heat.

To start the discussion of the hottest athletes, here are so photographs of some athletes struggling with the extreme temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
:razz:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Triathletes were hurling their guts up all over the finish line so probably them

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:goofy:

https://twitter.com/ITFMedia/status/1420347459520241665?s=20

Tennis will start matches from 3 pm local time starting tomorrow because of the heat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rarity posted:

Triathletes were hurling their guts up all over the finish line so probably them

They are probably already used to hurling their guts after though. They gotta drink dirty loving water, then bike and run a bunch after.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Why are only tennis players complaining? There are lots of outdoors competitions and we don't hear these complaints from other athletes. Is the tennis stadium heating up more ore are tennis players just very sensitive to heat?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cebrail posted:

Why are only tennis players complaining? There are lots of outdoors competitions and we don't hear these complaints from other athletes. Is the tennis stadium heating up more ore are tennis players just very sensitive to heat?

Pretty sure others have been complaining too, but Tennis players are all a bunch of babies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Let's beat the heat by starting play at the hottest part of the day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Let's beat the heat by starting play at the hottest part of the day.

Not really! Japan is different from being in the U.S. because in the height of summertime, the sun is up incredibly early. Sunrise today was at 4:47 am, and sunset at 18:48. From my own experience, it does start getting cooler from 4:30 pm or so forward. The worst heat is like 11:30 to 1:30 pm.

I have noticed other outdoor sports taking a break from noon to 3 pm or so, but we'll also see what happens when the track and field gets started.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are probably already used to hurling their guts after though. They gotta drink dirty loving water, then bike and run a bunch after.

I thought it was interesting how they brought in special boats to cool down the bay by pumping the deeper water up to the surface.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

harperdc posted:

Not really! Japan is different from being in the U.S. because in the height of summertime, the sun is up incredibly early. Sunrise today was at 4:47 am, and sunset at 18:48. From my own experience, it does start getting cooler from 4:30 pm or so forward. The worst heat is like 11:30 to 1:30 pm.

I have noticed other outdoor sports taking a break from noon to 3 pm or so, but we'll also see what happens when the track and field gets started.

Ah that's interesting, I didn't realize Japan was a little early like that.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

cebrail posted:

I think it’s several factors:

- hard courts do absorb a lot of heat

- some other competitions that require endurance over several hours, like marathon and race walking, were already moved to Sapporo over heat concerns.

- tennis matches are normally played later in the day when it’s hot but they were moved earlier purely for broadcast purposes.

- other athletes (eg cyclists) have complained, but tennis players bring in a ton of views/revenue. Djokovic saying the conditions are bad puts a lot more pressure on the IOC than…whoever the most famous cyclist is.

- it’s safer to play tennis at night, under stadium lights, than it is to cycle or run at night

- tennis players are massive divas

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Starks posted:

I think it’s several factors:

- hard courts do absorb a lot of heat

- some other competitions that require endurance over several hours, like marathon and race walking, were already moved to Sapporo over heat concerns.

- tennis matches are normally played later in the day when it’s hot but they were moved earlier purely for broadcast purposes.

- other athletes (eg cyclists) have complained, but tennis players bring in a ton of views/revenue. Djokovic saying the conditions are bad puts a lot more pressure on the IOC than…whoever the most famous cyclist is.

- it’s safer to play tennis at night, under stadium lights, than it is to cycle or run at night

- tennis players are massive divas
Re the last point, the cyclists have more grounds to complain imo. At least the tennis players get to stand around in between serves, and get regular breaks between games and sets. The road race was six hours with literally no breaks at all and the hardest efforts right at the end.

I do wonder how many people did specific acclimatisation training, though. The winner of the men's mountain bike race supposedly set up a bunch of electric heaters in his spare room at home to simulate the conditions (and kept tripping the fusebox as a result).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skateboarding seemed pretty hot, a lot of standing around a concrete field with no shade.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

this isn't what I expected at all when I opened this thread <:mad:>

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well two people already got probated for talking about butts, which is just a crime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to go with shooting since it looks like they are doing it in some sort of green house.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

They have to move the least though

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Badger of Basra posted:

this isn't what I expected at all when I opened this thread <:mad:>

Same here. I expected a bunch of gross comments about ogling athletes in skimpy outfits. I seriously believe this is why women’s gymnastics and beach volleyball get such prominent coverage.

Instead, it’s a thread about the heat issues in Tokyo, a serious problem. Well done, OP!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Azathoth Prime posted:

Same here. I expected a bunch of gross comments about ogling athletes in skimpy outfits. I seriously believe this is why women’s gymnastics and beach volleyball get such prominent coverage.

Instead, it’s a thread about the heat issues in Tokyo, a serious problem. Well done, OP!

Those threads all got gassed and the OPs probated for 24 hours - 30 days. So I made this one instead for the :lol:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

They all look so hot 🥵

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azathoth Prime posted:

Women's gymnastics gets so much coverage because it rules

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

You can easily spot the creeps because they only care about women’s gymnastics/beach volleyball and don‘t watch the men’s.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

To be fair I'm only watching the women's because the Canadian team actually has a chance for gold and the men didn't do poo poo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cebrail posted:

You can easily spot the creeps because they only care about women’s gymnastics/beach volleyball and don‘t watch the men’s.

Team USA women have consistently kicked rear end in those sports for like 20 years and it's fun to watch winners.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Zephro posted:

Re the last point, the cyclists have more grounds to complain imo. At least the tennis players get to stand around in between serves, and get regular breaks between games and sets. The road race was six hours with literally no breaks at all and the hardest efforts right at the end.

I do wonder how many people did specific acclimatisation training, though. The winner of the men's mountain bike race supposedly set up a bunch of electric heaters in his spare room at home to simulate the conditions (and kept tripping the fusebox as a result).

I am not a professional cyclist but i did race at an amatuer level for years and on the brutally hot/humid days i would much rather be on a bike getting some air flow at high speed than standing still.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Team USA women have consistently kicked rear end in those sports for like 20 years and it's fun to watch winners.

There are just as many winners in men’s gymnastics. Technically even more since there are more events.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The men's gymnastics program has always been the red headed step child in the US.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I wonder why the US would put more resources into women's gymnastics than men's :thunkher:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The tennis players are trapped in their tiny sweatboxes. The ventilation is poo poo because it would get in the way of seating. It'd be even worse if the stands were full.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rarity posted:

I wonder why the US would put more resources into women's gymnastics than men's :thunkher:

how many resources were put into protecting Larry Nasser after he fondled 300 women gymnasts

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rarity posted:

Because they have more talent? :thunkher:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Canoeing/kayaking athletes seem to be pretty hot. I've seen some of them wearing cooling jackets after the races and gobbling whole bottles of water. Not to mention the risk of sunburn.

Hence, Lisa Carrington and her gigantic biceps very responsibly covered

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

She needs massive biceps to hold up all her medals

The medals swing around her neck, generating draft

Which cools the hot athlete.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I saw a little bit of a badminton game and the two competitors were absolutely sodden insanely fast lmao. Looked like they just stepped out of a hot shower the entire time. Little floor gremlins kept having to come and wipe sweat off the floor with a mop so they didn't slip over.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I also recently learned that the divers hit the shower right after diving to avoid muscle cramps

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

canyoneer posted:

I also recently learned that the divers hit the shower right after diving to avoid muscle cramps

I learned this about 10 seconds ago when I read your post.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jeza posted:

I saw a little bit of a badminton game and the two competitors were absolutely sodden insanely fast lmao. Looked like they just stepped out of a hot shower the entire time. Little floor gremlins kept having to come and wipe sweat off the floor with a mop so they didn't slip over.

I don't remember where the badminton is being played but Japanese gyms aren't famous for their A/C in the summertime, it's entirely possible it's like 80 degrees F / 28 C inside there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Apparently Katie Ledecky tries to get as warm as possible before her swims like I guess while heading to the gym she has multiple layers on. This plus a calorie clubhouse sodium challenge worth of calories for breakfast before a meet make me imagine she probably is quite hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Thanks, I always wondered why they were doing that