Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Remember Ye Shiwen? The 16 year old that swam faster than Ryan Lochte at London 2012 and then did nothing of note ever again? lmao

This thread is for olympic controversies, mostly doping but there's a few other things lurking over these games

Doping:

Russia
Banned for systemic doping on a national scale there is a remarkable number of Russians competing as the Russian olympic committee. 4 of these athletes had to be withdrawn before the games started, 2 Swimmers and 2 Rowers

USA
Another country with systemic doping programs but generally delegated to coaches to deliver. High profile sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson failed a drug's test as did middle distance runner Shelby Houlihan who then claimed that she couldn't be doping because she'd never heard of nandralone (lol)

Weight Lifting
lol

Faced with it being kicked out the olympics 3 countries have been banned from competing and a ton more have had reductions in their places. North Korea couldn't come because they are washing their hair

Shoes:

Perhaps more important than doping in terms of records are the shoes some athletes are wearing in track and field. Basically they have springs in them and the times ran in this era will have no comparison to anything historical. If you are an athlete without a pair then you have no chance of a medal this year

pictured: a pair of Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Worth mentioning Sha'Carri failed for weed rather than PEDs so lol gently caress the IOC

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rarity posted:

Worth mentioning Sha'Carri failed for weed rather than PEDs so lol gently caress the IOC

WADA responsible for that but that's on Sha'Carri. Lmao at smoking weed in the run up to an olympics when you know it's on the banned list and you're going to be a priority target.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

WADA responsible for that but that's on Sha'Carri. Lmao at smoking weed in the run up to an olympics when you know it's on the banned list and you're going to be a priority target.

not just weed, but a pretty incredible amount of weed, apparently. but that's an argument that's been done and dusted.

did Adidas come up with a near-enough ZoomX Vaporfly clone, did anyone else get close as well, or are we really expecting Nike athletes to clean up?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
There's a bunch of stories on Indian news sites saying a Chinese female weightlifter might be about to get busted. They're all super excited because India won silver and so might get bumped up to gold.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sp...ho-2335591.html

It's pretty garbled and thinly sourced but they seem to be saying the A-sample is dodgy so they're now doing the B-sample test. Is it even true? Who knows, but fun to watch

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 28, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Zephro posted:

There's a bunch of stories on Indian news sites saying a Chinese female weightlifter might be about to get busted. They're all super excited because India won silver and so might get bumped up to gold.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sp...ho-2335591.html

It's pretty garbled and thinly sourced but they seem to be saying the A-sample is dodgy so they're now doing the B-sample test. Is it even true? Who knows, but fun to watch

I saw this! Seems weird they'd need her to stay in the country though. Surely it doesn't matter?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I saw this! Seems weird they'd need her to stay in the country though. Surely it doesn't matter?
Yeah you would think? They have the samples, they don't need her there. I assume it's some procedural thing so she can try to explain it away. Maybe it was a turtle blood wild-boar burrito?

Also, nearly half the Nigerian track-and-field team just got told to go home cos of inadequate out-of-competition testing:

https://www.athleticsintegrity.org/...TIONS-FINAL.pdf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Zephro posted:

Yeah you would think? They have the samples, they don't need her there. I assume it's some procedural thing so she can try to explain it away. Maybe it was a turtle blood wild-boar burrito?

Also, nearly half the Nigerian track-and-field team just got told to go home cos of inadequate out-of-competition testing:

https://www.athleticsintegrity.org/...TIONS-FINAL.pdf

That sucks for any clean athletes, I can imagine some of that is their federations incompetence but lol that this same rule applied to tennis would mean every athlete has to go home.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Looking forward to all the new steroids I get to hear about from More Plates More Dates in the weeks following the olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Blessing Okagbare is our first doper of the Olympics. She was one of the big names for the 100m

https://twitter.com/Sonjamclaughlan/status/1421257102534746117?s=19