Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
All of the WoD settings exist in a sort of superposition, where the nature of reality depends on which sourcebooks you're using, and how seriously your Dungeon Master STORYTELLER takes the fluff text.

Assuming you care about the lore, and weren't just playing on the off chance you'd get to meet hot goth chicks. (Or furries, if it's Werewolf.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Seems like Werewolf missed the crazy drama. All they had were the "my Indian name would be Proud Eagle" wannabe wiccans and a bunch of (in retrospect) furries.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
There was an attempt made to "re-balance" the game of Monopoly: Anti-Monopoly. A friend of mine bought the game, and we played for an afternoon. The concept is interesting; players split between Monopolists and Competitors, drawing different cards, using different rules, charging different rents. But in practice, the "mathematically balanced" rule set just left us locked in equilibrium; neither of us could get enough of an advantage to knock the other out. Eventually, we got bored.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I saw Malks (back then) as a way to troll/push back at the "ANGST" Annericers that seemed to dominate the scene. Of course, back then I thought RANDOM MONKEY CHEESE humor was great, too.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Edition wars should have their own thread.

So, uh...what about kender? Bad attempt at modeling neuroatypicality? Joke dragged out too far? Just terrible idea in general?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

This is the official material from 3rd edition (commentary unknown). Don't know if 2nd ed was as bad, but this is terrible. Nothing nuanced or interesting, like "belief in common property," this is "kleptomania is just fine(by authorial fiat)!" You could do something with this (maybe), if the setting wasn't so insistent that being an immature sticky-fingered walking annoyance was a GOOD thing, and only BAD people hate kender. Doubling down on the "kender ban" a number of tables instituted after every lolrandumb player and every party thief latched on to the race in 2ed.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Has anyone ever run into a case of dwarves being depicted as jews, besides Tolkien's footnotes? Every dwarf I've ever run into has been some version of "Beardy McDrunk", "Hammer McSmash," or "Gruff McStone;" those are the stereotypes I associate with dwarves. (How did dwarves become scottish stereotypes?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Insatiable greed for gold shows up in Norse mythology.