Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Open Source Idiom posted:

An episode behind, but this is a really excellent show.

Haven't watched any new anime since Bebop a while back. Anything between those two shows as good (not similar, don't care about the genre, just as good quality wise)?

Space Dandy is by the same team behind Cowboy Bebop (Watanabe+Natsume), one of whom (Natsume) is behind this show, so that seems like a natural recommendation. It's very good and if dubs are your thing it's on par with Bebop.

Someone mentioned Kyousougiga earlier, and I second that. Has that similar oblique, roundabout approach to storytelling in a surreal-ish environment where the mysteries reveal themselves over tims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It's weird and challenging and fun but let's be honest, this show pretty much dares people to stick with it, what with its standoffish characters, roundabout approach to storytelling, and near complete lack of background music until the dog episode.

I really wish more people would, though! It's rewarding in a way nothing else has been for the last few years. The problem is it's such a departure from the apparently normal model where a series absolutely hooks you with all the bells and whistles and each episode is individually satisfying for a while, and then it suckers you with a completely horseshit ending. Most people would rather chase those highs and risk the horseshit. Understandable, really. But I'd like to see more like this.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, even in the first half of the season that emotional tone absolutely nails teenage anxieties the way few pieces of media have. Probably uncomfortable for a lot of people depending on how raw or recent it may be.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Chiasaur is correct that I haven't seen Odd Taxi, however. I'll check it out sometime.

Yeah, maybe things will collapse in the last couple episodes, but I really have faith. I think just about every episode has nailed what it set out to do in terms of developing characters and the overarching themes. Most series that collapse into horseshit are the ones where they're slick enough that people overintellectualize what the show is actually getting at (I have been guilty of this and will be guilty of it again), when in fact all those mysterious, ambiguous elements left open to interpretation are in fact just the showrunners having no idea what they were doing and just making things look cool. With Sonny Boy, the choices are much more deliberate and the dialogue much sharper; interpretation may be difficult but the intent is clearly there.

Possibly the most appropriate precedent is Wonder Egg Priority, which I also haven't seen, but people were saying actually handled grief well in the early episodes. Then by the time I figured I'd get around to watching it, people were already saying it had turned to complete poo poo and there were problematic elements they'd glossed over in even the "good" episodes. And that was midway through the series (and not even getting into the production/animation issues). We're over the halfway mark here, but yeah, guess we'll see how well it holds up.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Julias posted:

Glad to hear it apparently nailed the landing. Now to binge it all in one go.

Absolutely dead-on nailed it. Enjoy.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Once you've watched through episode 11 you know pretty much exactly how the series will end, sure. And as an allegory for growing up, I agree that it's far from unique for the genre. The part about the bird's nest was far from subtle but this series hasn't exactly been coy about its overarching themes, even as it's been deliberately enigmatic about the details like the identities of Aki and "god". But the details were never of primary importance. What matters is how well it nailed the atmosphere, characterization, and emotions, and that makes all the difference. This series rang true in so many ways and it genuinely affected me the way few pieces of visual media have done lately.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

net work error posted:

Does that mean the rest of the class is still on the other side?

Could be, though probably for the best that it's left up to individual speculation. Maybe they managed to "reset" everyone to their old (pre-duplication, pre-drifting) lives, like Nozomi. It's unclear whether Asakaze retains any memory of This World (and is, therefore, gone from This World and back to leading his pre-duplicate life), or if he's still in This World and the one we see in the latter half of the episode is the pre-drift version (like Nozomi). If it's the latter, then maybe the rest of the students are back too, and we just didn't see them. But if he did return (the encounter at the beginning suggests it may be a possibility), then that suggests that nearly everyone with some manner of power to move between This Worlds (or otherwise bring objects across worlds) chose to return to the real world (except for Radjhani).

But as it turned out, there are lots of students in This World, and given the factional splits and even the awful exploitative communities some of them built, it seemed like most of them were oddly satisfied to remain there, however much they may have cursed Nagara for it (bitterly cursing fates we have no intention of making any effort to change being a common hobby in the real grown-up world, too). Whether conscious of it or not, maybe they made their choice too.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Saw some speculation that "god" could somehow be a future Hoshi due to the similar hair and smarmy, manipulative nature, and the sunglasses potentially covering the birthmark under the eye, but as with so much in the series it's probably best left up to personal speculation. The quote in that image above sums it up nicely.

"God", Aki, and Hoshi are all secretive types and are manipulative toward various ends, and even have that same unctuous turtle-like smile, and could just represent various aspects of the adult world that just seek to get things out of other people without being particularly helpful about navigating the rules of the adult world. Up to you exactly what those aspects are.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

In absence of a better theory I just assume Aki was once a random student who was one of those "peaked in high school" types who couldn't let go. Grew up physically but still enjoys the attention of younger boys because they remind her of better days and they're not challenging.

What she ultimately represents in the story could be any number of things (again, subject to personal interpretation), but could be one of the hazards of predatory adulthood trying to manipulate (via aggressive motorboating) young people into their own way of thinking.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Rajdhani's power was to produce things of value for himself and others, but he was ultimately a bit of a loner and had his own, quieter path to pursue apart from the strivings of others. Once he had explored to his heart's content and learned enough to be satisfied, becoming a whole rear end forest was his perfect world.