Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

A family member recently passed and I'm told that I will be inheriting a not-insignificant (but also not huge) investment account (or a split of investments/securities from said account, anyway). This family member banked with an extremely scummy company and none of us trust the army of advisors and managers that have been in contact with us. My immediate question, though, is that they won't allow me to have an account since I currently live outside of the U.S. Also, they charge typically ridiculous fees for liquidation. Once the paperwork is settled, I will have 90 days to move the account to another institution. Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations on companies - specifically ones with low fees? I may end up liquidating the account fairly quickly and transfer the assets to my current country of residence, but I'd obviously like that to happen with as low fees as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Spaceguns posted:

Don't have any up front advice but going to get the obvious question out of the way. What country are you living in?

Living in Japan