Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
To finish off my recent Nic Cage binge I finally watched Pig.

This is a top movie of the year for me and maybe his best performance. Or at least a top 5. There is wild, grief in his eyes at all times that he mostly keeps controlled. I kept expecting him to unleash the crazy like he does in some many of his films, but instead we get some nice, insightful conversations.

In video game terms, it’s like a paragon play through of Jon wick. But there is an acceptance of loss and moving towards simply cherishing those memories.

There’s parallels to Orpheus and Eurydice, with the restaurant using the name and Rob, like Orpheus traveling to hell to get his loved one. And similarly, using is great skill to remind the king of hell of their own feelings. Both return without their love, but this time through no fault of Rob/orpheus. So I guess the film proposes that Orpheus was destined to return empty handed. Or maybe just a different take on it, like portrait of a lady on fire, where the memory is the great treasure.

It was interesting how the various characters dealt with grief. Rob ran from everything. Amir just tried to live pretending his mother was dead. And Amir’s father refused to let his wife die, clinging to the belief that she could return. But life goes on and the persimmon tree is gone. The restaurant becomes a bakery. You can still cherish your good times: memories of a great dinner, a loving song, or dreams of a pig exploring a forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
From the cage ama today regarding pig, he stated:

“Thank you. I was interested in returning to a more quiet, naturalistic style of film performance, having done a series of more operatic performance styles. The movie feels rather like a folk song to me or a poem, and the character of Rob was contending with tremendous grief and self imposed isolation and I think we as a group of people experiencing a pandemic in 2020-21 we’re probably also having similar feelings of loss and isolation and it communicated to a nerve we were all experiencing. It’s one of my favorite movies, and it’s probably my best work.”