Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It's a really wonderful movie. Here are my posts from genchat on the film:

Hand Knit posted:

Pig is wonderful but I have to disagree with everyone who said it's nothing like Taken. It's exactly like Taken, but in the context of climate change (and the emotional outlooks that entails) rather than 9/11.

Hand Knit posted:

I did not find Pig to be very sad, but I liked it very much. It’s very melancholy, but I didn’t find it as sharply sad as I did with The Grey (which I think is the closest partner movie to Pig). In a way, Pig is a lot like The Grey but in the context of global warming rather than 9/11. They’re movies about loss and catastrophe, about the paterfamilias figure dealing with his family falling apart, finding the mature response in the face of that loss, and confronting the question of how you create (or maintain) value in the face of death.

I love the exchange between Rob and Amir about the inability to escape truly massive calamity. It starts with Rob talking about the massive earthquake every 200 years which destroys everything. You run to the beach to try and escape it, only to run into a massive tidal way. Maybe you can try to escape to the mountain? The mountain is an active volcano. What about Seattle? gently caress Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I saw a lot of parallels between this movie and The Searchers when I was watching it

I think that makes sense, especially as Taken (and thus all the Taken-likes that have followed) was very heavily inspired by The Searchers. The theme of the paterfamilias setting out to restore the integrity of the home/nuclear family.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Robin standing in the doorway made me think of The Searchers as well

There’s just no place for Robin Feld in this modern world.