Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

golf is fun but can only truly be enjoyed guilt free in Ireland, where everywhere looks like what a golf course is built to look like anyways

there are some golf courses here that use native grasses for everything except the green and recycle their water and other more environmentally friendly things, and there are a few that are owned by the city that are cheap to play at and have very cheap equipment rentals so anyone can go play for 15-20$, but the vast majority of it is Not Great!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dad likes to joke that in order to maintain my Irish citizenship I’m obligated to play at least 27 holes per season but he doesn’t even play anymore so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my dad likes to joke that in order to maintain my Irish citizenship I’m obligated to play at least 27 holes per season but he doesn’t even play anymore so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

text me and i'll make it 26

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

text me and i'll make it 26

how many strokes for par though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make like my ex wife and call a mulligan! haha!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

golf is fun but can only truly be enjoyed guilt free in Ireland, where everywhere looks like what a golf course is built to look like anyways

there are some golf courses here that use native grasses for everything except the green and recycle their water and other more environmentally friendly things, and there are a few that are owned by the city that are cheap to play at and have very cheap equipment rentals so anyone can go play for 15-20$, but the vast majority of it is Not Great!!
the weather required to grow a nice healthy golf course is more or less directly opposed to the the weather required to make golf nice to play

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

make like my ex wife and call a mulligan! haha!
lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lol one of the walmart kids bought a couple dozen acres in the middle of bentonville (walmart hq town) and built a 'mountain bike park' cause he was into mountain bikes and it got all these writeups in Mountain Biking Magazine and BMX Monthly and two years later he got bored with it and just abandoned it and it got all overgrown and they had to put up gates b/c kids were still going to this rotting bike park and getting hurt
I think mountain bike parks are one of those things that people will normally maintain for free if you let them, too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

*scotland is typing...*

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mystes posted:

I think mountain bike parks are one of those things that people will normally maintain for free if you let them, too
they absolutely are, there’s a huge community of volunteer trail maintainers among mountain bikers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

my little brother's best friend is a super wook mountain bike dude and organized a team to do that exact thing and the cops showed up and said "this is tom walton's land, get out"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

the weather required to grow a nice healthy golf course is more or less directly opposed to the the weather required to make golf nice to play

lol yeah

in michigan we have a lot of wetlands and i've always wondered why they dont use peat around the rough or even for the rough as a bonus carbon sequestration method, but then i dont really know if we get enough rain to support it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the only good golf course is in my hometown, the green is 75% moss, there’s no idiotic membership rules, and you occasionally have to play around a moose

every other golf course could be turned into literally anything else and be better for society

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

golf is fun but can only truly be enjoyed guilt free in Ireland
this seems at odds with its Catholicisms

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for a summer i got into golf with my dad and we would go to the lovely par 3 and duff it around and it was great

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol one of the walmart kids bought a couple dozen acres in the middle of bentonville (walmart hq town) and built a 'mountain bike park' cause he was into mountain bikes and it got all these writeups in Mountain Biking Magazine and BMX Monthly and two years later he got bored with it and just abandoned it and it got all overgrown and they had to put up gates b/c kids were still going to this rotting bike park and getting hurt

that article hyping the town that was making the rounds a few weeks ago was still referring to this park as if it were an active thing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

this seems at odds with its Catholicisms

you still have other guilts in the background, just not about golf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahahahah do link me that poo poo i will give an extremely nuanced critique

preview: bentonville's most loved restaurant that made it to like 2016 was The Station Cafe, and when they closed, they still had "Freedom Fries" on the menu.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i went to walmart hq once when i worked at motorola, to demo some code. to get in the building you have to go through a security rigamarole that is more strict than the airport line. they do this b/c theyre scared of employees coming in and doing mass murder suicide shootings.

they were the first company to put giant concrete anti car-kamikaze bollards in for the same reason

bentonville high school is a hugely dominating force in the arkansas HS football scene because walmart gives you a bonus if your kid is huge

the co-owner of my computer janitor job place spent six months doing cable diagrams to wire up the Museum of Murican Art, and the waltons took his plans, said "thanks" and hired subcontractors to implement his scheme. Did not make a penny.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they have a shitload of those LED billboards but they're really cheap and the people that sell them don't understand the difference between reflective and emissive light sources so at night you get your retinas destroyed by #FF0000 red impact font trash graphic design is my passion billboard art

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guess what i'm saying is that if a nuclear weapon was detonated over bentonville, arkansas, i'd sensible chuckle, say "dang tho" and flip the paper to the funnies

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the co-owner of my computer janitor job place spent six months doing cable diagrams to wire up the Museum of Murican Art, and the waltons took his plans, said "thanks" and hired subcontractors to implement his scheme. Did not make a penny.

when they were building the Walmart in my hometown they were doing this thing where they would refuse to pay invoices until they started getting legal threats then settle for a lower amount because they could outlast all the local contractors in court

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A former yosposter and now lifelong friend of mine moved to Bentonville to write code for walmart. He would troll them by using nested ternary expressions, which their code reviewers could not understand and always flagged.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

when they were building the Walmart in my hometown they were doing this thing where they would refuse to pay invoices until they started getting legal threats then settle for a lower amount because they could outlast all the local contractors in court

lol two minutes ago i was out having a smoke and was all "oh i should post about how we used to sell these super niche serial cables to the local Walmart distribution centers, and they would NEVER EVER pay a net 90 less than 89 days out, but even if you bought from walmart on net90 they'd start sending legal threats on day 2"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

lol two minutes ago i was out having a smoke and was all "oh i should post about how we used to sell these super niche serial cables to the local Walmart distribution centers, and they would NEVER EVER pay a net 90 less than 89 days out, but even if you bought from walmart on net90 they'd start sending legal threats on day 2"

what a cool and normal behaviour

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/LukeMones/status/1485271039315787779

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

smoking is pretty normal, don’t know about cool though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if there's one word that doesn't come to my mind when i think of meat loaf, it's "succulent"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a good meatloaf should be succulent

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

a good meatloaf should be succulent
it's a low floor high ceiling food. good meatloaf is really really good. but bad meatloaf is literally prison food

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. it gets a bad rap cause bad meatloaf is really bad and people miss out on truly excellent loaves of meat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the best part about meatloaf is that almost anyone can take a crack at it and refine the recipe until it's perfect. very accessible dish for home cooks. I prefer to make it just on aluminum foil or w/e rather than a loaf pan

even vegetarians/vegans can make something that (even if only to them) can be considered truly excellent

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

hahahahah do link me that poo poo i will give an extremely nuanced critique

preview: bentonville's most loved restaurant that made it to like 2016 was The Station Cafe, and when they closed, they still had "Freedom Fries" on the menu.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-11-30/austin-s-mega-growth-rubs-off-on-walmart-s-arkansas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The cops that imprison people in Fayetteville, the "cool liberal college town down the road from bentonville" are currently being sued for forcing the inmates at their jail who got covid to take horse dewormer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The best part about Meat Loaf is that he refused to get vaccinated and said "if I die I die" and then he died. haha.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao at opening a restaurant in athens and not serving booze

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think I’ve ever eaten meatloaf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think I’ve ever eaten meatloaf

what the gently caress, especially given that youre from appendix of england

Adbot