Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think I’ve ever eaten meatloaf
you can fix this. I think food wishes/chef john's recipe is pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mNozo4yqM
https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2014/05/prison-style-meatloaf-how-to-stretch.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

appendix of england
mulling over banning you for this tbh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its probably called minced pudding or something in your cursed land

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

seriously though, meat loaf typically is a tasteless fleshy lump, which does describe a lot of the cuisine from british isles

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also the people

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: no ones replying to any of my messages so i guess im just gonna go take an early lunch

also a long lunch

also maybe just not do anything the rest of the day

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
in my experience, people who like meatloaf spend a lot of time talking about the ketchup on top and not a lot of time about the meat itself

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
you’ve

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think I’ve ever eaten meatloaf

you’ve prob had an equivalent enough dish with a different name

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

seems like meatloaf is just a meatball megazord so in that respect i have eaten meatloaf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

seems like meatloaf is just a meatball megazord so in that respect i have eaten meatloaf

yeah that would be a way to describe it, ciabatta-sized meatball

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally just google "kenji <food> recipe" if you want to know how to make something

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

literally just google "kenji <food> recipe" if you want to know how to make something
this is pro advice. his book The Food Lab is really good too

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cjs gotta sit through 3 interviews for a new hr person today lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

The Martha Stewart website is surprisingly good for this, too, for your traditional American foods. The best part is that they don't do any lame substitutions in the name of making it "healthy," or do trendy woo bullshit like replacing cheese with nutritional yeast. You look up a recipe for scalloped potatoes and it includes two sticks of butter and a quart of heavy cream :yum:

I'm sure the Martha Stewart website meatloaf is a good one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kenji is a dumbass about msg. that’s enough for me to skip him.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean critical support is a thing that ive learned as ive gotten into lefty politics, people can have one bad idea and 724 good ones

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bump_fn posted:

lol shapovalov smashing his racket

slopalolov is messy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lmao at opening a restaurant in athens and not serving booze

its an seo campaign hth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

kenji is a dumbass about msg. that’s enough for me to skip him.

i mean the tub is dry but where's kid firecracker?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

mystes posted:

I think mountain bike parks are one of those things that people will normally maintain for free if you let them, too

absolutely. the local mtb club has a group that goes out and does work on trails through the year.

https://gorctrails.com/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

yeah basically, but the different meat to crust ratio changes the juicyness and overall experience

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Very late but I like the sprouted bagels from panera.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: taking a fake sick day, the first of probably many for the year

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

last time i did meatloaf i did wrapped in bacon with a miso maple glaze.

it was delicious.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i would eat that

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Don’t have a single cure or fermentation going right now, feels weird.

Got some Norwegian kveik yeast, prob going to make a beer with it in the next few days

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ultravoices posted:

last time i did meatloaf i did wrapped in bacon with a miso maple glaze.

it was delicious.

i had meatloaf last weekend, made out of turkey and beef and stuffing and enchilada sauce. it didn't hold together real tight, but it was tasty :yum:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

prefect posted:

i had meatloaf last weekend, made out of turkey and beef and stuffing and enchilada sauce. it didn't hold together real tight, but it was tasty :yum:

what is meatloaf but a casserole that has been persuaded by unholy arts to maintain a shape

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ultravoices posted:

what is meatloaf but a casserole that has been persuaded by unholy arts to maintain a shape

it was also cooked in a round bowl instead of a bread loaf pan, so this was all kinds of insane

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean critical support is a thing that ive learned as ive gotten into lefty politics, people can have one bad idea and 724 good ones

yeah sure but msg is like a basic ingredient and this is cooking. so being weird about a basic ingredient and insisting that "it might make some people sick it just hasn't been proven yet" is pretty much a non-starter for me to care about his food opinions.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

yeah sure but msg is like a basic ingredient and this is cooking. so being weird about a basic ingredient and insisting that "it might make some people sick it just hasn't been proven yet" is pretty much a non-starter for me to care about his food opinions.

i thought the msg thing was a white people whinge thing or something like that

like gluten sensitivity vs celiac disease or something like that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: taking a fake sick day, the first of probably many for the year

yeah todays a wash

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

cool rationalwiki bro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i thought the msg thing was a white people whinge thing or something like that

like gluten sensitivity vs celiac disease or something like that

it was racism against an influx of chinese immigrants hth

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/adamliaw/status/1084927635027705856

make your own decisions!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ok pretty lame. still tho. he knows how to cook

mystes
May 31, 2006

The MSG study where people were given MSG or placebo that he cites is stupid because people were given a citrus beverage that either had a lot of MSG or nothing added and they didn't compare against salt or something.

A lot of the studies are pretty lovely so it's probably better to conclude there's no real evidence against MSG in normal quantities, especially since loving everything has glutamate anyway.

Being like "hey maybe it was because of wonton soup" is honestly sort of like the Astral Codex Ten guy latching on to the stupid theory that ~maybe the truth on ivermectin is somewhere in the middle because people in other countries really have worms that are making covid worse~

All that said I think it's okay for Kenji to potentially be very mildly wrong about one thing, and it's not like he's saying that MSG is poison or something anyway. He's good in general, he just may occasionally be prone to trying to be too smart for his own good

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 25, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
gws is constantly recommending kenji with a bunch of caveats every time and i don't get why they dont just recommend a good cook??? i guess he must be really famous

mystes
May 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

gws is constantly recommending kenji with a bunch of caveats every time and i don't get why they dont just recommend a good cook??? i guess he must be really famous
I mean his recipes tend to be extremely reliably good. I wouldn't not recommend him just because he says "maybe the truth is somewhere on the middle on msg"?

He's also seems like a pretty nice guy in general.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
fear of msg is great because a lot of white people don't realize they're outing themselves as racist when they complain about it, so they don't hide it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my neurons just fired off "MSG tankies" in my internal monologue and i'm simultaneously giggling and wondering if i should log off the internet for a bit