Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

fear of msg is great because a lot of white people don't realize they're outing themselves as racist when they complain about it, so they don't hide it at all
Eh... It might have been racism initially but the idea that MSG is bad for you is so widespread I don't think that's really true now. Pretty much everyone in the US believes it's bad for you unless they've specifically read up on it, and most people don't realize that zillions of other foods have other forms of glutamate that are effectively equivalent.

I'm not sure people under like 50 usually even associate it with "chinese restaurant syndrom" or foreign food in general so much as processed food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Corla Plankun posted:

gws is constantly recommending kenji with a bunch of caveats every time and i don't get why they dont just recommend a good cook??? i guess he must be really famous

He now spends his time arguing with people on reddit so he's a goon at heart.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tomatoes have shitloads of msg dont they lol. go eat a bunch of food at spaghetti factory its a big meal and youre tired. go eat 2700 calories of sweet and sour chicken and its msg poisoning

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He now spends his time arguing with people on reddit so he's a goon at heart.
I've also encountered his comments on random non-food-related videos on youtube multiple times in the past few months.

Jonny 290 posted:

tomatoes have shitloads of msg dont they lol. go eat a bunch of food at spaghetti factory its a big meal and youre tired. go eat 2700 calories of sweet and sour chicken and its msg poisoning
They have glutamate not msg. They are almost definitely equivalent but it will make things confusing if you don't distinguish because some people may be making the claim that msg is bad but other forms aren't for some reason.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Gotcha, makes sense. Still tho.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mystes posted:

They have glutamate not msg. They are almost definitely equivalent but it will make things confusing if you don't distinguish because some people may be making the claim that msg is bad but other forms aren't for some reason.

they've got multiple-sodium glutamate? or zero-sodium glutamate?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

"MSG tankies"

kruschev just wanted to ensure that Hungary and Czechoslovakia had a full umami flavor

mystes
May 31, 2006

prefect posted:

they've got multiple-sodium glutamate? or zero-sodium glutamate?
They have forms of glutamate that aren't salts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

msg is good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The salt dissociates in water and then the glutamate ion gets protonated by your stomach acid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mystes posted:

They have forms of glutamate that aren't salts

i know that "salts" are some kind of chemistry thing that don't involve normal salt, but it just refuses to stick properly in my brain :saddowns:

mystes
May 31, 2006

prefect posted:

i know that "salts" are some kind of chemistry thing that don't involve normal salt, but it just refuses to stick properly in my brain :saddowns:
It literally has sodium too though

Anyway, MSG is just convenient as gently caress but because people are afraid of it a lot of stuff made in the us just uses other ingredients that have extremely high amounts of glutamate.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

The MSG study where people were given MSG or placebo that he cites is stupid because people were given a citrus beverage that either had a lot of MSG or nothing added and they didn't compare against salt or something.

i was thinking about how you'd design a properly blinded study. you'd definitely have to mask the actual consumption somehow. like maybe give people msg pills or placebo pills?

it would be even harder to do an as-prepared meal with or without msg. not sure how you'd get people to not taste the msg. maybe it would be sufficient to eat half a meal, take pills, then eat the rest.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

*comes to after a 15 minute stupor* ah yes, we were talking about glutes?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

i was thinking about how you'd design a properly blinded study. you'd definitely have to mask the actual consumption somehow. like maybe give people msg pills or placebo pills?

it would be even harder to do an as-prepared meal with or without msg. not sure how you'd get people to not taste the msg. maybe it would be sufficient to eat half a meal, take pills, then eat the rest.
I mean just giving people pills should work fine but you probably at least need to have the placebo be the equivalent quantity of sodium in the form of table salt

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mystes posted:

I mean just giving people pills should work fine but you probably at least need to have the placebo be the equivalent quantity of sodium in the form of table salt

this may sound like a wiseass question, but genuinely curious: what about the chlorine? does that just get ignored by the body with no effect?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

this may sound like a wiseass question, but genuinely curious: what about the chlorine? does that just get ignored by the body with no effect?
I don't know much about all of it as I never took chemistry in hs beyond 101, but chloride is not chlorine as far as dangerous effects you're thinking about Woodhouse. chloride is what is processed normally by the body via salt intake.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

we have this little guy and it’s good times

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have three different brands of msg in my closet because they all have slightly different tastes

an Indonesian brand, a Japanese brand, and a Chinese brand

I personally am a huge fan of the Indonesian brand but I’ve been making a lot of Indonesian fried rice

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

we have this little guy and it’s good times
i have this except in a bag

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't watch ota so this is new to me.

the one thing i watch pretty often is a OTA rip of jeopardy and there is one local ambulance chaser that has an absolute banger on their hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INO2QUGahLQ

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Managed to get on a list for a half hog share in September/October :toot:

The butcher they use is 40 miles away from me, further down the valley :negative:

Said butcher is located in Mt Angel where the big regional Oktoberfest is :toot:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
we use msg all the time at my place

also Doritos are slathered in the stuff

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

it's a necessary nutrient. Your stomach is full of HCl which is in water so it's actually a soup of H+ , Cl- and OH- in equilibrium plus other things you eat. Salt turns into Na+ and Cl- when you eat it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

The salt dissociates in water

so do i, bitch you aint special

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: doing onboarding stuff for the amerijob starting next week and the closest to this intranet analogy that i have is holy roman empire

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its always a vast suzerainty headed by feudin lords and ladies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

fear of msg is great because a lot of white people don't realize they're outing themselves as racist when they complain about it, so they don't hide it at all

this is a bad take. it started with yellow panic bullshit obviously, but "msg is bad" is commonly accepted by a racist society. it has little to do with personal racism or bigotry. when ms jones got laughed at lookin for msg at the grocery, the lady doing it was chinese and, given her accent, probably first-generation (but maybe not idk)

e: clarified, sorry bout that

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

when ms jones got laughed at lookin for msg at the grocery, the lady doing it was doing so in chinese-accented english

:staredog:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you find it strange that chinese immigrants exist or?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

you find it strange that chinese immigrants exist or?

ok, i got the implicature that it was someone white doing a racist voice

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think they assumed it was an affected accent, which is how I read it on first pass as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ok, i got the implicature that it was someone white doing a racist voice

oh drat, not what i meant my bad! i was trying to describe that she was a chinese lady with a chinese accent, and so probably a first-generation immigrant. but she might not be cause sometimes second+ generations retain accents even though it's a lot rarer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

it gets used for the hydrochloric acid in your stomach. if you have too much chlorine, it gets reacted with something or other and gets peed out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

oh drat, not what i meant my bad! i was trying to describe that she was a chinese lady with a chinese accent, and so probably a first-generation immigrant. but she might not be cause sometimes second+ generations retain accents even though it's a lot rarer

ah, i read that as some racist doing caricature “asian voice” at your wife for trying to buy msg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah, i read that as some racist doing caricature “asian voice” at your wife for trying to buy msg

is still seems weird to assume the lady is chinese?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

is still seems weird to assume the lady is chinese?

what i assumed was a white lady mocking another white lady for buying bad chinese poison instead of noble christian spices, does this help? it used to be a very common xenophobic behaviour here, e.g., to reply in mock russian when a xenophobic latvian bartender is asked if the bar has russian beer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

neither bdid nor fool had any difficulties with understanding my intent

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

neither bdid nor fool had any difficulties with understanding my intent

Oh I absolute agree with you. I just thought it was a little weird to assume the lady was chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Oh I absolute agree with you. I just thought it was a little weird to assume the lady was chinese.

i have no idea why you seem to keep insisting i did that